Wish me luck...

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Terry Smith, Aug 13, 2021.

1. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Time to draw a close to this thread. I made a decision that while I liked the 86, it wasn't quite the ride I was looking for. So I listed it for sale and after a couple of weeks I was able to close a deal, and the bike was collected by its new owner. He already has another 86, and his research suggests that there are only 6 of these left registered in NZ, so he now owns 33% of all NZ VFR750s!

A sad day, but I know the bike is off to a good home. Looked good waiting for collection...
    IMG_2899.JPG

Jim McCulloch and mello dude like this.
  2. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

It doesn't always work out. I did the same thing with a Hypermotard SP. Put a bunch of work into it, tried to like it, never got there. Sold it without putting 2k miles on it. Sometimes it's best to face the reality and move on.

Terry Smith likes this.
  3. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    My wife was extremely helpful in this decision. She suggested that if I was to own an older cool bike, that it really needed to be in mint condition. This VFR looked nice in the photos but the reality was that every panel was either damaged or badly repainted or both, and I would be spending mucho dolleros on that, then would come a new shock. At the end of that I'd have good looker but it would still be high mileage.

We agreed that passing this on to someone else and picking up another 5th gen was what I really wanted to do. For about the money I would have paid to bring the 86 up to a good standard, I bought a well-loved mint condition lower mileage 5th gen with some great upgrades on board, Sargent seat, double bubble screen, Nitron shock and Racetech fork internals, PR4 tyres. The 86 is a great looking bike, but the 99 has a better ride position, handling, braking, and that amazing engine. I wasn't sure I wanted a yellow bike, but I have absolutely fallen for the black/yellow aesthetic. IMG_2870.jpg

4. Jim McCulloch

Jim McCulloch New Member

United States
    Map
    Could not agree more with your decision. I wanted an 86 just like yours for nostalgia reasons. I am afraid the reality would suck the life out of me.

Beautiful 5th gen. I had a yellow one just like that but it was a beater unfortunately. I would still have it if I did not live in a huge city and have nowhere to ride it like it was intended to.

5. RogueRC24

RogueRC24 Member

United States
    I wouldn't mind a cool 99. I felt that way with my Mille R. beautiful, fast, smooth, but riding position was trackday not me-day. Enjoy Ole Yeller. :)

6. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Ditto here, right decision in my opinion. Yellow is great, and of course, I have one, so I'm an authority, lol.

Terry Smith likes this.
  7. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Great looking 5th Gen Terry, congrats

Terry Smith likes this.