Will Not Idle - Old Gas?

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by pvVFR, Apr 27, 2019.

1. pvVFR

pvVFR New Member

United States
    Hi,
    I just fired up my 1987 VFR for the 1st time since the Fall of 2015. With a new battery, a little starting fluid, and about 2 - 3 minutes of cranking, she fired up. She ran rough but eventually smoothed out. However, she will not idle, with or without the choke. She also will not start without the choke, even after 5 - 7 minutes of running smoothly.

Will old gas contribute to this non-idling and starting issue? I also wonder if the jets are varnished withthe old gas, and if so, will that varnish get removed if I take her for a ride. When I last rode her in the Fall of 2016, she started, idled, and ran beautiful. I did put some gas stabilizer in the little bit of gas (less than 1/4 tank) when I stopped riding her but it is 3.5 year old gas.

I am not sure what my plan is with her, and the two parts bikes I have. I do know I plan to start her 2 - 3 times per week at a minimum. She has sat untouched while I focused on finishing the house, which is now finished and listed for sale. Two weeks ago I sold a large hydraulic table and the buyer of the table was very initerested in all three bikes. But, nothing more from him since then and I got the idea to get her running again. I just do not feel comfortable riding her at my current weight and I do not see me losing the weight (50 - 70 lbs) very quickly. A rider needs to be able to turn his head easily, and sometimes twist his butt in the seat and I cannot do that easily once I put on my riding jacket & pants.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know if old gas will cause a bike to not start without the choke and not idle, if it is possible the jets are varnsihed, and how to clean the jets if they are. Again, the last time she was used regularly in the Fall of 2015 it did both...started without the chokle and idled.

Thanks.

2. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Carbs need to be pulled and gone through. Leaving carbs, petcocks, and fuel tanks sitting with fuel in them is a death blow. I would also get rid of that 5 year old gas, at least what's left of it, and inspect the inside of the fuel tank for rust. You have a little bit of work to do.

3. pvVFR

pvVFR New Member

United States
    Ahhh...that's right. Pull carbs, etc. I had to do that on my old Trials bikes sometimes. Thanks, Norcal. Yep, I have some work to do.

4. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Best of luck! Do a little looking around here, many folks have had the same issues and there are a lot of threads and stuff available to help get you through the pain. There is a resident gentleman here that can also help, he goes by the name of Squirrelman1. I'm sure he will chime in at some point. They aren't the easiest things to attack, but with a little patience and thought, you'll get through it.

5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    it's essential to drain and FLUSH any tank sitting that long with old fuel.

005_5vfrplntsa.JPG

6. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

And just like that, the man is in the conversation. You're in good hands now, time for me to exit. :Bolt: