Why you should wrap your Exhaust

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Rubo, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Rubo

Rubo New Member

In the process restoring my 98 headers and after high temp paint treatment bought fiber wrap to wrap most the headers.
    Since VFR's run hot any engine cooling help is helpful.See the significant reduction.
    [​IMG]
    wrapped header
    [​IMG]
    bare unwrapped header
    Cut the heat almost half!!! and your pipes look cooler.Above pictures are not mine but I found similar results from other examples.I plan on double wrap mine to cut even more heat.Bike will run better cooler.

2. Bordecai

Bordecai New Member

Map
    I heard it degrades the pipe over time, but I love the look. Where did you get the wrapping material?

3. Crescentius

Crescentius New Member

Map
    Not sure the engine picks up much radiant heat from the headers to begin with, especially when you're riding. I'd rather have that heat dissipating in the air than sitting in my headers rotting the shit out of them, tbh. About the only thing good about header wrap is improved exhaust flow, which will typically make a bike run leaner, and thus hotter. Not really an issue with FI though, unless you really open up the exhaust.

4. Rubo

Rubo New Member

High Temperature Header/Exhaust Wrap Roll White 1/16" X 2" X 50' - Thermal Zero
    $18.95
    Amazon.com: High Temperature Header/Exhaust Wrap Roll White 1/16" X 2" X 50' - Thermal Zero: Automotive
    Good quality.50 feet actually real bargain.Use hose clamps not wimpy zip ties.I looked into pipe issue and found not the case.Spray silicone coding which is recommended after wrapping.
    I looked about this in bike forums and found rusting to be the same depending on your original pipe condition.I am planning to paint 2 layers of BBQ paint 1200F then wrap twice then seal it with silicone and I am confident it will be ok.

5. Rubo

Rubo New Member

I have found no real evidence about rust issue.It is quickly becoming a myth.As far as radiant heat the back headers are away from direct air flow and very close to engine.I am sure that heat does have an effect on the engine..

6. Apittslife

Apittslife New Member

Map
    Sorry, No Myth! Seen to many Headers that are rusted out because of header wrap. The reason for it, is moisture that gets trapped between the wrap & headers, when people do not drive the vehical long enough, to burn that moisture off, whether due to cold, or driving in the rain. You may have not personally seen the rust issue, because of powder-coating & stainless steel being used in the last 15 - 20 yrs.

7. woody77

woody77 New Member

United States
    Map
    Which just means that we should be ceramic coating instead of wrapping.

8. Apittslife

Apittslife New Member

Map
    Ceramic, JetHot, & powder-coatings have their own issues. like Oils, & Needing to be properly heat-treated, or they will do all kinds of crazy things, including burning off.
    Plus It is Pricey!

Just do your homework, & pick what will work for you, & or your needs!

9. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map

+1 on that. I've seen a lot of car headers that way.

I've ceramic coated a set of headers for my car. I ran those about 10yrs and they are still in good shape. I used Techline "Cermakote" I think was the name, it's like JetHot coating. There's a long story behind what they will sell you today. If your thinking about it PM me and I'll explain. One thing I do notice compared to my current headers is it really kept the heat out of the engine bay. The thermal coating does work and can be re-shined/cleaned with a scotch-bright pad.

10. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    What keeps things out, keeps things in.

I've seen plenty of destroyed headers after the headers were wrapped. Silicone spray can definitely help keep moisture out but it's a 2 way barrier. It'll also keep things in. Assuming you can't get a 100% seal on the headers with the silicone spray and since the wrap alone is enough to help rot out headers, I'd imagine the silicone wouldn't make too much difference. I could be wrong. Maybe it helps keep enough moisture out to make what it traps in negligeable.

11. woody77

woody77 New Member

United States
    Map
    If it's sealed, then it's going to be like moisture in a pipe that's been welded shut. Once the available oxygen and water have been used up in the rusting process, it will stop. But I think it takes a great deal of work to get the header wrap to be fully sealed correctly.

And unsealed, it's a big fire hazard because spilt oil will soak up into it. Very bad juju.