Why are people stupid?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by GoForARide, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    Seems to be a totally unknown concept in most every state. This is the thing that gets my blood boiling the most. I have to pass most of these morons on the right after giving them more than enough time to move over on their own, and I give each and every one of them my patented "What, are you f&cking stupid?" look and a disgusted shake of my head. Most then move to the right lane after that. It doesn't help me any, but it helps those behind these cretins.:rant:

2. TimRav

TimRav New Member

Amen. People who drive under the speed limit for no reason tick me off.

3. jcoplen

jcoplen New Member

grow a set and move with traffic or move out of there way its not your job to single handedly stop speeders thats what cops are for

4. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Monk's post is probably the best solution in this thread. He quotes sources by name. His source makes reference to facts such as published laws. Doesn't matter if we agree with the laws, they are there. But most important, Monk's source had offerd what can only be described as precious advise, especially to us who ride motorcycles that offer less protection.

Though each jursidiction does have their own traffic laws, generally speaking, state to state and province to province, they are very similar. And most are based on common sence. That however poses a problem as there are so many out there who lack in this department. With too many people it is all about "me" and nothing at all about "we" .

Share the road. Be safe. And yeah. If you are in the fast lane doing the same speed as the vehicle beside you and someone wants to get by, get the fuck out of his way. What do you have to loose?

5. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    I do the same. It works with some, but not all. The um-daz's don't get it.

"He noted that the law and common sense both are served by getting out of the way of a driver who's anxious and intent on passing."

Well Monk you brought the other part in to the equation. What I learned as the unwritten rules of the road some call common sense.

Things like get over to the left on a highway to let traffic merge safely, if it's possible.

Enter a highway at the right lane speed, usually the speed limit or faster. NOT at 40mph.

Do not stop at the bottom of entrance ramps because you see cars coming. ACCELERATE to match their speed.

ALWAYS use turn signals. The guy in front can see them two and knows your coming around or making a turn.

Don't ride along side in blind spots of the vehicle in front of you. This may take some work on drivers (operators) part to find out what blind spots are and where on certain vehicles they are. So do it!

Don't ride my ass! AKA tailgate. I keep small stones in my jacket pocket for those folk's and flip them back over my shoulder. ding ding

I know there are more but I don't want to get in to a rant! I may go off the deep end!:kaboom:

6. TimRav

TimRav New Member

Sorry if someone quoted this earlier, and I don't know who said it 1st, but "The problem with common sense is that it's so uncommon these days."

I have a slightly diff. take on this...After getting my latest speeding ticket a few months ago, I've been going a little slower on the freeways, so I'm more content now to be in the right lane and let cagers pass me. I don't like it, but $100 tickets and points aren't worth staying in the fast lane at 10 mph over the limit, passing traffic and being paranoid about where the next cop is waiting.

7. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I really like this point. This is our responsibility people. Self preservation if you will.

You know...or you should know...and if you don't, then park the bike and ride a bus, that if you can't see the driver's "face" in his rearview or sideview mirror, then he does not see you. Maybe he can see you bike, maybe he can't. Eye contact folks. Stare that bugga right in the eye when he wants to encroach in your space. Either that, or overtake and get in front of him where he can easily see you.

8. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    +1 :thumbsup: Even if you are in their mirror, if you stay there too long, they'll forget. And NEVER ride alongside a tractor trailer. If that tire blows the tread off right into you, you're going down hard. I've made it a habit to either stay behind, or hurry up and pass. I do not linger in that danger zone.

9. rc24rc51

rc24rc51 New Member

Map
    park it and get a moped or a Harley.

10. GoForARide

GoForARide Banned

You guys may be right.

according to my gps im off by 4 miles. according to one govt radar its off by 3 miles. according to another radar its off by 2 miles.

doesent matter anyway, they do the same even if i am speeding in my truck.

the other day a guy in another truck gave me a bad look as he passed me on the right (while i was speeding) and then as soon as he got beside me he couldent pass as I was already speeding.