Why are people stupid?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by GoForARide, Sep 18, 2009.

1. monk69

monk69 New Member

I'm with you on on this one. Stay out of the packs, they drive in packs/stand in hall ways/door ways/where ever there is a place people are trying to move, there are the pack-people. I just refer to them as sheep.

Since,GoForARide doesn't list what state he's from we really don't know what the laws are for him..... In Virginia It's against the law stay in the left lane except to pass.... There's nothing in Va. that says you can't go by on the right with two lanes or more, as long as you don't get on the shoulder.

This is right out of the Va. law book.

"It shall be unlawful to fail to give way to overtaking traffic when driving a motor vehicle to the left and abreast of another motor vehicle on a divided highway. On audible or light signal, the driver of the overtaken vehicle shall move to the right to allow the overtaking vehicle to pass as soon as the overtaken vehicle can safely do so."

"Failing to give proper signals. A person shall be guilty of "reckless driving" who fails to give adequate and timely signals of intention to turn, partly turn, slow down, or stop, as required by Article 6 of this chapter."

'No person shall ride a bicycle, electric personal assistive mobility device, motorized skateboard or scooter, motor-driven cycle, or an electric power-assisted bicycle on a sidewalk"

Speed is by far not the only law on the books, but it sure seems like speed is the only one, people are aware of. They seem to think that as long as they aren't going "over" the speed limit, that everthing else is ok.... Unfortunately it seems like that's the only law being inforced by the LEO's, With the exception of running lights/signs.

Also, one more, and this one from everywhere I've looked is nation wide.
    "No matter who has the right of way.... "You can NOT TAKE the right of way"... if a accident can be avoided.......

You also don't list the year of your VFR......... When we get into a lot of these discussions .... it makes it harder to give good answers if we don't have the basics under the avatar.... Where you live/what year VFR/age(although you have age listed in your personal info(nothing else).

There's a lot of people on this, and other forums that want to join in on threads, giving and recieving advise, but don't want to give up anything about theirselves. "NOW THAT SUCK'S"

2. monk69

monk69 New Member

An anticonvulsant drug used to treat seizure disorders including epilepsy, as well as digitalis-induced heartbeat rhythm disturbances. An overdose can have toxic effects. A blood test can determine the phenytoin level to aid in correct dosing and avoid toxicity.

3. Spike

Spike New Member

But what I am talking about is actually written into the california code as an enforceble offence. Yes in my example the other person could be ticketed as well for speeding, but the ticket to the driver for blocking the left lane or not pulling over for a speeder would also stand, as that is in and of itself an offence.

And the judge was right to confirm your speeding ticket. As that is an offence.

You are not comparing like things. You were speeding, and trying to use other lawbreakers as a reason for an exception to the law.

Although some states have a statue that allows for not being a hinderance for normal traffic flow, that would be hard to prove after the fact.

4. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    I actually posted a link earlier in this thread with a site which list every state law on "drive right, pass left", simply go look it up...

5. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    What is truely amazing is that I can find out all about traffic laws right here not from LEOs, lawyers or judges but from my very own brothers (and sisters too since we be PC) of the road.

I also have one of those VFRs that gets 150MPG at Mach .5. while pulling a trailer.

6. Badbilly

United States
    What is truely amazing is that I can find out all about traffic laws right here not from LEOs, lawyers or judges but from my very own brothers (and sisters too since we be PC) of the road.

I also have one of those VFRs that gets 150MPG at Mach .5. while pulling a trailer.

7. rodm850g

rodm850g New Member

stupoid people

Guys,
    The fellow from the redneck comedy tour said "you can't fix stupid" and thats why....
    Rod

8. PyroMcnoob

PyroMcnoob New Member

The quick answer...

Because they are :bootyshake: cagers.

Some people are just mad at the world, and feel entitled to flip ya the bird.

I was cruisin' down the freeway, saw a Harley goin' the other way, and despite my preconcieved notions, waved at him. He grinned real big with his half-shell lid, put his hand up, and flipped me the the biggest sausage middle finger...

Some people are just pricks bro

9. monk69

monk69 New Member

One of my favorite bumper stickers.... "To many DICK'S;Not enough RICHARD'S"...

10. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    LMAO - that's funny.

I actually have some big sausage fingers myself. Recently got stung by a bee on my middle finger. It swelled up to kielbasa size, and I had to give everyone the finger on principle alone. But then again, here in NJ giving someone the finger is about the same as saying hi. No one takes offense to it.

11. VIFFER RIDER

VIFFER RIDER New Member

United States
    Map
    LOL, instead they give you a ticket for obstructing traffic, whats wrong with going with the flow of traffic? Who gives a shit if its 10mph over the limit or whatever, if you are moving with the flow of traffic you broke no law, especially with the basic speed law in its place. 80-90 is more of my pace, just slightly faster then the rest of the traffic moving around 75-80. :biggrin:

12. buttonhook

buttonhook New Member

Maryville, TN (six miles from the dragon)
  13. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    not to open a can of worms, but....show me.........and its five cars not three...but there is no mention in the DMV hand book...that I could find

14. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    For the cheap seats; the link above (State "keep right" laws) is for a site which theoretically has assembled all the keep right laws for each state... Stop yer bickering and read it for yourselves (then you can at least bicker over what all the legalese means... :tongue:).

15. Badbilly

United States
    Each state have it's own "book" of vehicle law.

Until recently The State of California had the entire Vehicle Code as PDF. All but the entire text is here:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vc.htm

If one wishes to purchase the entire California Vehicle Code it is available as are copies of same for any of the other states. This is of course not germane to those who have memorized all and can quote chapter and verse.

:crazy:

What is baffling is that there seem to be no lawyers here and yet a proliferation of jailhouse lawyers seems to exist who liberally interpret the law at will according to thier own agendas.

This don't prove shit cept IMO some are just born to blow smoke and hope someone, anyone will buy the BS.

16. monk69

monk69 New Member

Readers on one side share contempt for drivers who hang in the left lane of divided highways.

On the other side are those who say some local roads are so crowded that the only way to make left turns is to get to the left and stay there--for miles.

The column generating the range of opinions stemmed from people I've noticed lately who block traffic on State Route 3 west of Fredericksburg.

Specifically, I focused on drivers who get into the left, westbound lane of State Route 3 near Central Park, and stay all the way to Wilderness Corner.

I'll share a wide selection of readers' opinions on the subject on Sunday.

But first, it's informative to get some clarification on the issue from the agency that enforces traffic law, the Virginia State Police.

Sgt. F.L. Tyler, a public information officer with the state police office in Culpeper, said the following section of state code applies to left-lane hangers:

"It shall be unlawful to fail to give way to overtaking traffic when driving a motor vehicle to the left and abreast of another motor vehicle on a divided highway."

It continues: "On audible or light signal, the driver of the overtaken vehicle shall move to the right to allow the overtaking vehicle to pass as soon as the overtaken vehicle can safely do so."

In other words, said Tyler, if you're in the left lane of a divided highway and going down the road, even with a vehicle to your right, the law requires that you give way and let a vehicle behind you pass.

Specifically, he said, if you're in that situation and a vehicle behind you signals its intention to pass, by either honking a horn or flashing its lights, you are required to move to the right as soon as it's safe, and allow the signaling vehicle to pass.

Failure to do so is a violation of the law, he said.

Tyler said that applies even if the vehicle trying to pass is speeding, following too closely or operating in any other reckless manner.

"Leave it up to police officers to deal with any violations they might be committing. We'll handle that," he said. "But the law still requires you to move to the right and let them pass."

He noted that the law and common sense both are served by getting out of the way of a driver who's anxious and intent on passing.

"To ride along in that left lane and keep an agitated driver blocked in behind you isn't in anyone's best interest," Tyler said.

He noted that failing to allow a blocked-in vehicle to pass could cause danger another way.

"A frustrated driver who can't get by on the left is likely to try to squeeze through to the right," said Tyler, whether there's enough room or not. "Because of that, a third vehicle could be put at risk."

In addition to the legal requirements and the dangers posed by problem passing situations, the state police spokesman said safe driving techniques make clear it's a bad idea for vehicles to travel alongside each other any longer than necessary.

"Instead, if you're the car in that left lane, you want to get back to the right and give yourself a safety zone," he said--an open lane to escape any dangers on the highway.

"If someone pulls out of a side road into your path, and you're side by side with another vehicle, where are you going?" he asked. An empty lane beside you provides an escape.

Tyler invited drivers who witness people exhibiting reckless driving in passing situations, or any others, to call either 911 or #77 from a cell phone to report it.

He also noted that motorists with questions about driving regulations and many other safety and vehicle issues can get them at the Virginia State Police official Web site, vsp.state.va.us.

A searchable listing of the state code is one of the topics you can access from that site.

But I'm Driving The Speed Limit - Lane Courtesy - Slower Traffic Keep Right

17. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    As your new doctor, I am prescribing six a day!

Scratch that; take the whole bottle and wash it down with a fifth of vodka, of your choice, and call me in the morning!

BZ

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  18. deepdish

deepdish Banned

purgatory.........................................

19. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks Monk! Liked the post and the link.

Action

20. mjrfd99

mjrfd99 New Member

Drive right - pass left. Totally unknown concept in NJ. The friggin NY'ers think they own the left lane. Is there something in their water?