Who likes fireworks?

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by jay956, Mar 31, 2009.

1. 300shooter

300shooter New Member

Man , sure looks like a cool gig, dangerous , but cool.

2. jay956

jay956 New Member

oh yeah its a lot of work, the show i mention took 3 days just to set up. i think te lead said he was plannig it for a few months.

my first shoot i helped on, i shopwed up expecting to just put in some labor and learn some stuff. but i ended up light over 300 3" shells each night (it was a 2 night show).

dont know if youve ever heard of Ron Silva, but hes the one that i started shooting with. hes won awards at pgi a few time. mostly for 1.4 shows i think.

ive heard of the "dark" salute, but never seen them. i heard a story once about a show where they used some 5" salute canisters. they had to go around and tell everyone that lived in the area to leave their windows open a little. well some didnt listen, and they ended up shattering peoples windows a few miles away. now i like salutes, but im not sure id want to be handling that much flash.

3. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Hmmm... Ron Silva doesn't ring a bell, but let me check with my buddy.

I worked for Joe Donnick of "Bombs Away" in Southern MD. Ol Joe passed away a few years ago. My other friend is just an idependent guy who actually is a professional blaster. He primarily shoots oil wells, but his licsences allow him to buy class B fireworks, so he shoots shows for fun.

You have to get some of the 'dark' salutes my friend:biggrin: If I was still shooting, I'd lobby for them hard.

By the way, nice to see someone who knows their stuff with this. Calling the Indian salutes 'dark' gives you away:thumbsup:

BZ

4. jay956

jay956 New Member

lol, ive never even heard them called indian salute.

someone had some salute cans with a glitter tail at our last club shoot. never did get to get the info on em, but they were outrageous. with the beautifull slow falling tail you expect a brocade or willow or something, then BAM, your blind and def. i guess thats why they were coming from the experimental area of the field.

btw here the "organ shoot" i did last year. it wasnt exactly choreographed like i said before, but there was a live organist playin 50' away from the 3" mine front. the idea was to have the mortars lined up in a way so to the audience it would look like the organ pipes.
    [​IMG]
    i dont think its a show the general public would like, dues to its slow pace, but its something real pyros can appreciate (which is who it was shot for). definitely the most memorable shoot ive been on.

Crackerjacks "Organ Shoot" - Fall 2008 By George Tasick On ExposureRoom

its too bad you cant hear the organ in the vid.the guy who made the vid was gona overlay the music, but the organist ended up playing faster than he ws supposed to. i guess that what happens when you have 16" shells going off over your head.

5. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    The name calling comes from "get me that box of Chinese threes" Where are the American 4's"? LOL!

Those types of shoots are the best, enthusiasts only...I'm getting excited for this 4th early:wink:

BZ