Who Hates Harley Davidson?

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Bubba Zanetti, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Wabbit1961

Wabbit1961 New Member

Map
    Bought my Turbo from a guy in Michigan. He was a true lover of the bike but didn't ride it much. It only had 6,500 miles on it when I got it. Now it has 35,000. He sold it to me cause he knew it would have a loving home. Shipping cost me $450. When I got it, the bill of transport listed it as 'like new' condition. Even the delivery guy said he used to have one and that this was cherry. It still is. Just needed a complete tear down and soak of the carbs and a new fuel petcock. I was actually approached by a couple magazines at a bike show/rally that posted pics of the bike in their mags. Another nice thing about the bike is the shocked look on a rider's face when you blow them off as the turbo kicks it in the ass like a 1200cc racebike. Good to 135mph, and it gets there fast.

2. Wabbit1961

Wabbit1961 New Member

Map
    The Harley, and cruiser riders in general are friendlier than most down here. Hey, it's Florida. Most of those Harley owners are in their 'golden years'. I'd say at least 80% wave back. Yeah, there are some that have the 'fuck you' attitude, but I think they're inbred, so I forgive them.

3. KENJI

KENJI New Member

You know it never ceases to amaze me how bikers cop such attitudes towards each other. As a rider who ridden sport bikes since the 70's & Harleys for the last 12 years, it never ceases to amaze me how only a small percentage of bikers on each side are rude & disrespectful. You shouldn't let that be the source of your prejudice towards each other. Judge each other on an individual basis. Kenji P.S. We are BIKERS!!!!!

4. camcclellan

camcclellan New Member

Kind of hate them.

I recently purchased a 1986 VFR 700 F2 with a little over 15000 miles on it, in pretty much immaculate condition, and it is the first motorcycle that I have ever owned.

I am 25 years old now, and because of some family members overdoing the Harley Davidson thing I was always afraid to own a motorcycle because I thought that it made everyone turn into a piece of shit. I have always despised Harley Davidson, and by association most cruiser bikes.

I live in northeastern Tennessee, where we have some real trashy folks, which made everything worse.

With that said, before I take the MSF course my mother is teaching me how to ride in a way consistent with the course at the same location that it is taught at. What she is teaching me on is her old HD 883 Sportster. The motorcycle itself is interesting, though it does not feel as natural and ergonomic as mine. It also probably has less than half of the horsepower than mine, and weighs a good 150lbs more due to the natural weight of the motorcycle and the crap she has on it like the saddlebags and tools.

So, imagine this picture. Big fat bastard like me on a little tiny sportster, driving around in the training area on a red HD, wearing a crappy little helmet, on a motorcycle making fart noises.

Believe it or not, I actually enjoyed learning on that thing. Though it is not the kind of motorcycle that I am interested in, it was still enjoyable.

She never has gone in for the biker crap. Though the motorcycle is chromed, it does not have the excessively loud exhaust. She goes out with a few friends to ride over into middle Tennesse, or over into North Carolina. Some of her friends, however, have gotten the typical Harley attitude and riding while intoxicated problem, and have ceased to be her friends. After what dad did after they divorced with the biker bars and gangs, I am proud of her for remaining a decent person. I basically had to dosown my own father because of his involvement in a certain motorcycle gang.

Rambling monologe completed...

5. chesthing

chesthing New Member

The tobacco industry could also be called genius. Sell poison that people willingly breath into their lungs for $4.00/pack - now that's an impressive example of exploiting the stupid.

6. chomper

chomper New Member

United States
    Map
    i don't think Harley sells poison or a addictive drug, but good point tobacco company's sell image and image is every thing to Harley with out that they couldn't sell a lug nut!

Okay people fess up!! how many Harley items do you have
    don't own the bike
    but do own 2 Harley shirts
    Harley boots
    Harley hat
    so I'm guilty of wanting some of the image but i know better when it comes to owning the bike
    lets hear who owns what

7. chesthing

chesthing New Member

I know Harley isnt dangerous like cigs, but they both have this in common: they sell stupid shit to stupid people for stupid prices. Just because alot of people fall for both these products doesnt make them any less stupid.

The good news is it's never too late to smarten up. Smokers should wake up out of their stupor and quit supporting one of the biggest causes of death in this country, and Harley riders should take off the pirate uniforms and live life as individuals not as part of a flock o' dummies.

8. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

I don't own a single thing with HD on it. I would sooner burn my money or flush it down the toilet than give to the Orange & Black slathered cult. If something was given to me, I would sell it promptly.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane:

9. chomper

chomper New Member

United States
    Map
    they could be dangerous with all that shaking front wheel could shake loose:lol: :lol: :lol:

10. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    I don't own a single item with a Harley logo on it. But then I do not own a single item with a Honda logo on it, either. Except my 2 bikes.

11. goinphaster

goinphaster New Member

Disappointed in Harley's. I hate the "Rider attitude".

Dissappointed because they have been running the same motor configuration for way too long to have that many recalls- every production cycle....

12. keet

keet New Member

Map
    i used to get that" attitude" from the harley riders when i had a "wing"....the hd`s are not my bag....never were....i also hate their radio buzz slogan..."everyone WANTS a Harley!!!.....should be..everyone WANTS to be a BADass!!!

13. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map

Agreed, I grew up in a Harley household and have many fine memories of watching bikes being built and customized. For me personally, I could never hate any company that puts two wheels on the road. Whether you like bikes for scrapping pegs or cruising, it's all good, let me say that again, it's all good! Harleys have come a long way from the days of the Knucklehead's, Shovelhead's and Panhead days and the introduction of the EVO engines have made them a lot more reliable.

When it comes to Harley riders, the only ones I truly can't stand are the arrogant Harley riders that think sportbikes are beneath them, those individuals just don't get what motorcycling all about. I think Kenji got it right when he said you shouldn't form your opinion from the small percentage of the Harley riders/Sportbike riders that are rude and disrespectful. Motorcycling to me is about choices and individuality, Whether you ride a Harley, Honda, 5th gen or 6th gen, it's all good...

14. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Trust me, this survey was started becasue of my experiances in 10 years of riding and 2 years being an MSF Coach. It's really the last two years of being a coach that brought this on.

I wish some of you could hang out with me during this coaching season...you'll soon see that there is an unusually large group of these a-holes "in training' coming through the class. And those are just the ones who barely have the sense to take the class.

If it where a small number of people, there would not be so many responses IMO.

Also, I think we all know good people who happen to ride HArleys or whatever, but notice how they are the minority?

BZ

BZ

15. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    I am not making the rules up as I go!

I was providing clarification of the rules...like any good politician would!:smile:

VOTE NOZZLE!

16. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Wabbit/ Stan said:

Oh yeah, there is ONE thing I like about Harley Davidson... I'd like to {have relations with}<have relations="" with=""> any of the female models that pose on them for their ads! Then I'd take them for a ride and show them what a real bike is all about.

Do you feel me yet? *lmao*

LOL!

Thanks for the laugh, that was good</have>

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2008
  17. bikeknight

bikeknight New Member

Not me

I have a Harley and an Interceptor. Love 'em both!

18. csb

csb New Member

Australia
    Map
    i heard that 90% of harleys are still on the road, the other 10% actually made it home, apart from that i hate them!

19. Jimtt

Jimtt New Member

Map
    I
    I do not now nor have I ever owned anything with a Harley logo. What I said about Harley riders I meant, I do recognize the fact that most of them are nice and not confrontational like some I have encountered. But in large part I am recognizing that there is more to a person then their interest in motorcycles (with a few exceptions) when I say ‘most Harley riders are nice’. But most Harley riders adopt the bad ass stance even if it is superficial and immediately dropped upon engaging in conversation a sport bike rider. It is this fake element of the whole Harley mystique that bothers me the most. Hate is too strong a word, I do not hate them and for that matter I do not
    even begrudge them, I am 180 degrees from the Harley scene; it takes all kinds.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  20. cowboy

cowboy New Member

Map
    I have always been on a Honda CBR (had 5 of them), until my recent VFR. I would not take nothing for it. Now at my old job I was paid to ride a Harley. That is what Sgt wanted. I wanted the ST1300. It was heavy, slow and did I mention heavy. I have never had a Harley rider give me "the throw down" when I passed. When I was a cop they did. So they are their own breed. My dad has a FatBoy that will hang with my VFR (stock). When I hit third he just behind. So yes they are a different but that is what makes them Harleys. I would love to have a StreetGlide since I left the PD. My VFR is top rank but I would buy one.