Which R/R from Roadstercyle do I need? Gen 5, 2001

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Sniper, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Flappysack

Flappysack New Member

thank you! the suzuki dealership in town (the only dealership for 1000km in any direction just happens to be honda/suzuki...how awesome!) said they can get one out in a couple days for not too bad but insisted we test the charging system as well. the wires look fine and the battery is not even 2 months old so that just leaves the stator (correct me if I'm wrong?) any recommendations for those? the shop said they usually send them out for a rewire and they come back better than original with a 2 week turnaround. just go with that?

2. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    You need to test your stators ac voltage output and resistance when hot. First top the battery off and load test it. Then disconnect the rr from the stator. Start the bike, warm it up to operating temp.

Then test the ac output of each phase to ground. It should be around 20 VAC at idle and 60 VAC at 5000 RPMs. Then turn the engine off and test the resistance. It should have about 0.1-1.0 ohms continuity between phases and no continuity between phase and ground.

If the stator checks out, leave it. If it fails, by a new OEM one. Skip the rewind.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I actually had my original stator rewound and have it on hand as a spare. Of course it means nothing if I don't have a good RR to go with it.

4. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Also, I hope you know that modern R/R's are not plug and play, so you either need to get a complete kit from roadstercycle or buy the rr from a dealer and buy the harness kit from easternbeaver.

5. Flappysack

Flappysack New Member

as an update I ran the drill and it showed my battery was faulty (brand new only a month old) so I got that swapped out and it's charging at 13.6v at 5k rpms while hot so not the best but acceptable. I got a little carried away and ordered a new r/r from ricks so I'll have a backup at least for when this one does decide it's had enough. I checked the stator and it's putting out 15VAC at idle and 60VAC at 5k from each phase. I appreciate all the help and thoroughly enjoy learning more about this bike. the stator been putting that kinda power out since I bought the bike 25000kms ago so that hasn't really changed but if it's suggested I'll order a spare to keep around in case it does cap out. in the meantime today's test day and if all is right back on the road to Darwin tomorrow. cruising around 600kms a day. cheers!

6. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    I put it on this morning. Took aprox 1.5 hours. However, I go slow. This is my first one. And I clean while I have thing off.

It was easy. Jack's wiring certainly make the stock stuff look puny.

New chain, rectifier, and thermostat, at just 7200 miles. I should be golden for a long, long, time .

Attached Files: