Where do y'all park?

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by RobVG, Oct 16, 2014.

1. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    The kids probably sent him out there!

2. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    I usually park in regular car spaces, but I never park like an asshole. Parking illegally in my area is likely to net you a ticket, anyway. I don't need any EXTRA scrutiny~

3. dayreamer

dayreamer New Member

At my company, they recently moved the motorcycle parking spaces to the inside lot, which has a badge access area with a traffic arm controlling the access (for management parking). Nice sentiment, but not very practical, as you would have to gain access like a car (stop, fish out your badge, swipe, wait for the arm to lift, then go.

I rode around the arm once and the campus cops followed me to the bike area and asked me not to do that because it was "illegal"
    Other bikers go in on the other side, through the bike exit path....also "illegal." No biker uses the badge access function, because it's too cumbersome.

So, to be "proper" most of us simply park outside the controlled area, taking up a car parking space each....
    I wonder when they'll clue in on this....

4. MichaelD

MichaelD New Member

United States
    Map
    I park in a car space at lowes ect.. out where no one else wants to. At work I have a designated space, right next to the entrance under the video camera. Luck of the draw.
    At home its in the 40x40 building with all the others. Parked on the sidewalk once away from anything and was given crap by a old fart that thought it was his job to wait for me to leave so he could tel me why it was sooo wrong.

5. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    ^ good story aboot :canada: speeling :loco: mall parking lot tragedy.

Was in NYC 25 years ago or so and witnessed a woman who got oot of her car to guide her pos husband or whom-ever into a parallel parking spot, the fly in the ointment was that there was a poor defenseless Moto-Goose-Me between her car and the bumper of the retarded parellel parker. Well I stood across the street and witnesssed a digusting act of (at a loss for words here) of driving/disregard for someone elses property The car repetedly could not get its arse into the parallel spot while the curb side cunt was directing him. At some point during my watching, she yelled across the street, "is this yours?" I vividly remember just shaking my head and walking away.

So, You axe us/me if I ever park where some brain dead post lobodimal car drive can masacre my bike? The answer is no, sidewalks, places where cars, kids, dawgs, cats, lizards, spiders, can not fuk with my chit. End of story. At work, I always use a bike cover. At home, they are garaged all the time. Cheers and happy/safe riding.

One more, was working at a bike shop and parked behind a customers plumming truck, I walked right by him as he got oot and said "hello" in my mind, I wanted to say, "hey rickey, you know I am parked behind your truck." I did'nt though. Long story short, the dude backed into my 91 viffer and pushed it down the hill a wee bit. Enough were the side stand bent and it split the fender in half. We straightened the front end and I remember that night riding it 125 mph home, so all was good with the front end. ricky the shit head driver bought me a new side stand and front fender (91 is on its third front fender :pound:) never say these bikes are not tough as shit! Cheers, I dont wana type any more. :bandito:

6. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    at a lot few weeks ago, went to park at the very last spot on the tail end of an aisle. There was an arrow painted indicated that where I was doing the slight turn in was where the flow of traffic should be exiting. An old fellow crossing my path stopped dead (no pun here) in his tracks and just pointed at the arrow. instead of yelling at him, did my best preschool teacher "see spot run" vocal cadence impression and told him I was parking in the spot behind him. He moved.

7. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    My last employer had secure parking which was accessed by a card. Ours was a touch card or close proximity so did not need to swipe through a slot like you may do with a credit card. If that is in fact your case, you can get plastic card holders that will clip to a chain or a retractable thin lanyard. Clipped that retractable lanyard to part of my jacket, and the card was easily accessible and easy to use, even wearing gloves.

Several examples:

http://www.keybak.com/collections/badge-reels-and-lanyards

Oh, Just thought. If yours is a swipe card, you can always punch a hole in the end of the card, making sure it is not on the magnetic strip, and attach the retractable lanyard there.

Word of caution though. Those lanyards do wear so keep and eye on the line for fraying. They are cheap enough to replace often but they do last a few years with regular use. My card was used dozens of times a day because it accessed the whole corporation where I was programmed for access. Which in my case was just about everywhere due to the position I held.

8. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    You should have said it was, then suggested the bitch and the brain dead old fucker who could not longer properly drive, invest in a monthly pass on public transit.

Fuck, I used to parallel park a police suburban all the time and still do park my truck which is just as big. Shit, I even parallel parked my truck pulling a 25 foot fifth wheel in down town Banf Alberta a couple years back. Think that one was more luck though. If you have to take more than two attempts, find another spot or let a living person drive.

9. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Where the heck in Banff did you find a spot to parallel park?? Last time I was there Randy the place was wall to wall tourists. LOL

10. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Ya. No kidding. It was last June when wife and I went to nephew's wedding. Surprised I found that place about a block from the Catholic Church there. SO not quite down town but in the heart of the community anyways.

Push your bump out out in the slightest while parked on the street and the town authorities are like Right fucking there, right fucking now though. I just wanted to put my suit on so that was all of 2 minutes.

11. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey Randy, you're using an older bike pic aren't ya. Where's is da white wheels??

12. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Tough driving in NYC, was there a few months ago. Not the way I remembered it fer sure. If I lived up there, I would have a some enduro bike due to the roads being such shite. Cheers :wink:

13. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Ya. I wanted to get another pic of the bike up there but one I have not used yet. Don't have many with the white wheels. This was taken at Yosemite in 2010. Those are the Yosemite falls in the background. I was tenting there for four or five days. Temps were down at or below freezing at night but I was able to stay toasty warm with the stuff I got from MEC.

14. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Parking a bike in one of those "painted islands" in malls or big box stores in Oregon is asking for a ticket that has a healthy fine attached. Some of those "islands" are for loading and unloading of handicapped persons. Easy to spot. They are directly adjacent to some handicapped parking spaces.

Other painted islands sometimes at the end of rows are in two way traffic patterns and we all know how cagers drive in parking lots. Like they are in the ocean somewhere between the West Coast and Honolulu.

Some cities are lax aboot sidewalk parking. Seattle (in some places) is one, San Francisco is another. Years ago Seattle had only four designated and metered spaces for bike parking..

Parking in Seattle is generally pricy especially in city owned lots and lots near medical facilities. City owned lots include those near the courts. Some of the medical type lots even charge construction crews full price even though the lots are closed to the public during long construction periods.

Luvly Rita Meter Maid ain't all that lovely sometimes..

15. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    a True NYC bike was locked with its rear wheel through an immovable object, NYC chain along with the pad lock. Then the cherry on the cake, your tag was heald on with velcro. Dismount, chain up your chit, and take your tag with you. I think now if you did that, they would tow the bike along with the iron fence it was looped around :loco:

16. hightowermusic

hightowermusic New Member

I was thinking about that myself. I have permanent handicap license plates on my trucks and I even asked the lady at the DOL about handicap plates for my bike...she just looked at me really weird and dint answer... :( Most bikes around here park on the sidewalk and some park at the end of the lanes in the cross hatched sections of the handicap, but I had a cop tell me once when I lived in San Diego that if he saw me do that again I would get a ticket.

17. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Each state is going to have their own rules and regs aboot plates ect. Zip on handicap plates for bikes in Oregon..Using the rear view mirror cage tag on a bike means it will probably not be there when you come oot of Walmart.

As in any gubbamint function, lots of rules mostly to up the take.

18. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    Just so you know, I got a ticket for that in OKC years ago. I was parked in that huge stripped zone around the handicapped area and that was that. Bikes always part in this zone at our local Wal-Mart but I am a bit paranoid (plus I don't go to Wal-Mart on the bike.)

19. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    Texas has Handicap motorcycle plates. There is a guy around here that has one leg and rides a Kawasaki Connie. He has a handicap plate and a scabbard for his crutches. It's fantastic.

20. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the info.... Pretty 'laxed down here in the Htown area. So far (knocking on wood) no problems. Here is an example of an area I park. This is at a mall down here. You can see the stripped area.... The area just oppisite is the handicapped area. No clue on why the mall only put handicapped on the one side and not the other. You can easily park 15 bikes in that area with no problem.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413777687.004443.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Using my thumbs