What's your warm up procedure?

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by PwnyDanza01, Oct 5, 2012.

1. PwnyDanza01

PwnyDanza01 New Member

I have been reading a lot of threads on this site that emphasize the fragility of the VF500 engine and that got me wondering, what is the correct warm up procedure? Tell me how you warm up your VF500 before taking off.

Me? Full choke for about 20 seconds, down to half choke for about 20 seconds, then no choke. I let it idle for a couple minutes while I put on my gear and off I go.

2. PwnyDanza01

PwnyDanza01 New Member

I have been reading a lot of threads on this site that emphasize the fragility of the VF500 engine and that got me wondering, what is the correct warm up procedure? Tell me how you warm up your VF500 before taking off.

Me? Full choke for about 20 seconds, down to half choke for about 20 seconds, then no choke. I let it idle for a couple minutes while I put on my gear and off I go.

3. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I start mine with the choke on and let it idle while I get suited up which is only a couple of minutes. Once under way, I go about a mile, then I turn the choke off altogether. I have also found that I can start it cold with no choke at all.

4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Full choke for start up, then I reduce choke until it is running about 1500 to 1800? or so. Usually getting gear together at this point. May take choke nearly or all the way off if I'm by the bike after a few minutes. But on all of my 1st gens, I have never gone anywhere until I see movement on the temp gauge. Maybe that is too conservative for some, but cams and followers still all look perfect after many years. (And maybe that's just pure luck.) My oil change schedule is super conservative too though.

5. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    don't have a 500 but with my 86 700 I choke it (pray) give it a switft kick to the tail pipe, choke it some more.... say the word comeonstartyoulazyasspieceofcraporitisofftothepartsyardforyou... hit the starter button and BOOM off and running.. I general take the choke off when the idle starts to pick up.. then full off a small blip then away we go.....

6. AussieGeoff

AussieGeoff New Member

Australia
    Map
    I seem to recall watching the GP races back in the 80's (go Wayne Gardner!) that on the warm up lap all the riders would be weaving side to side to warm up their tires.....now they sit there with tire-warmers wrapped around (what sort of temperature are they set at?) . . and they are ready to go!

An extra dumb question (well someone has to do it) . . do you guys run recommended 42 rear/36 front?

Cheers

7. commrad

commrad New Member

keep in mind these early V engines don't oil well at idle. I've been riding them in some form or another since 91, never had the dreaded cam problem. On my 500 I roll it out of the garage, crack the throttle, start it (never needs more than 1/8-14 choke after proper carb adjustment), bring the revs to between 2 and 3000 rpm and start rolling. Once moving I keep the rpm around 3000 regardless of gear until the temp needle moves.

I adjusted the valves on my 500 a few weeks ago, no sign of pitting, galling, scaring ect. I'n over 20 years I've never had "the oil problem". I've put about 12k miles on the 500 since I got it.

not to start an oil thread butttttttttt. I like to run 5-40. Thin oil to the cams is better than no oil to the cams at start up.

These engines don't like to idle, period. From what I've gathered from my years of V4's is that warming them up just sitting there has been the death of many of them followed by people who shift early and keep the tach below 3000rpm.

8. Davidvfr

Davidvfr New Member

Map
    That's the pressures I run, no problems to report.