What Generation Should I Get, and Why?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by jeffreyjames, Jun 18, 2011.

1. jeffreyjames

jeffreyjames New Member

I'm just wondering what VFR to get.. I'm leaning towards the 2006+, but that's just because of ignorance.. It always seems wiser to buy new, but it seems with the VFR there are conflicting arguments.. I like smoothness, I like refined engines, and if the technology in the newer bikes improved that, then I'd like to go that way.. What do you think? It looks like the 2006+ are fetching around 6500-7500.. I could get a 2011 Ninja 1000 for 10k, so I'm wondering what direction to go.

2. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Depends on what you are looking for.

IMO...the 5th generation bike is the perfect balance. Gear Driven Cams with Fuel Injection.

No need to deal with Cam chains or carburators.

I read somewhere that the 4th gen was the most beloved of the VFR line up

3. jeffreyjames

jeffreyjames New Member

Thanks so much.. Excuse my ignorance but what years are the 4th and 5th gen?

4. superpsu

superpsu New Member

First of all you have to like the bike you are thinking of purchasing. I have a 6th generation 2002 VFR800 VTEC with ABS and I love it. Yes I have had some electrical problems occur, but it wasn't major. Make sure all the recalls, if any, have been done. The 2006 model I believe has changes to previous years as the VTEC is not as abrupt and it happens at 6400 RPMs instead of 7K RPMs. I don't think mine is all that abrupt to be honest with you.

Take the Ninja 1000 out for a test ride (and the VFR if you haven't done so) to see if you like it or not. I like the way they look and I've heard nothing bad about it. Both are great bikes. If you are willing to pay out a little more for brand new and something different, go for the Ninja. The VFR, for "only" an 800cc engine, really gets up and goes if you want it to.

Bottom line, go with the bike that you feel is right for you. Do your research and you will find the bike that has your name on it.

5. Davis5g

Davis5g New Member

Map
    I have a 1999(5th gen, 98-01) and I absolutely love it. I paid 3000 for it with only 12,800 miles on it a year ago. I wouldn't hesitate to ride it across the country tomorrow. Ok, I'd want givi luggage and a set of helibars but those are just details. It doesn't even look like a twelve year old bike. The fuel injection works excellently, and it only takes a couple cold starts to get used to the manual fast idle lever, so its really of no concern. I've ridden a friends fourth gen (94-97) with around 50,000 miles and thought it still exuded quality and ran as if it were rolled off the showroom floor, and the carbs had never been touched either. The owner of that bike likes my 5th gen better though, for what its worth. I can understand not wanting to get something older, but certainly don't rule out the 5th generation and maybe take a look at some 4th generation ones as well. You will see very nice examples of both for sale pretty regularly.

6. ignoreance

ignoreance New Member

Kinda depends on whats in your area really. Sometimes Motorcycles fetch different prices in different areas, worth checking over 200 miles for a bike. I did and came up on a new 08 last month for 6999 plus all the other crap came to about 11k with the 5 year unlimited millage warranty. Tax sucks in California with a tax rate of 9.75%

This one sparked my interest but one he is in Texas, two a bit high on the price.
    Honda : Interceptor | eBay

Also Check http://www.cycletrader.com/

What I do like is its a one owner bike and in pretty much stock condition. The real tell would be look at the tires and check date on them. I would ask for way more pictures that what he has on the web

Oh yeah and Texas is fair game for shooting someone so check for bullet holes.

7. Cogswell

Cogswell New Member

United States

Couldn't agree more. If I might offer this though - '98/'99 models did not have a cat as Y2K and '01's do, so I'd go with an '8/'9 on 5th gens. IIRC '8/'9's have mild steel headers while '01/'2's are stainless, so watch for corrosion. The '8/'9's have the stupid condom mirrors, so get some Y2K mirrors for a sexier look and all is good. Unless you want ABS and/or factory luggage, I'd go with the 5th gen - can't beat the sound. IIRC, 2006+ got an updated wiring harness, VTEC actuation at a lower rpm and different injectors - minor refinements vs '02 to '05's. But really they're all good. There have been a few threads of '06+ VTEC's having electrical meltdowns, so the harness upgrades do not appear to have cured everything. Some VTEC's are also known to have CCT issues which are absent on the 5th gens. I kept my '99 but regularly ride an '08 ABS with factory bags and really like it. Can't go wrong either way.

Be sure to get yourself a VFRness for either one and keep the electrical contacts / grounds clean with Oxgard and you'll have a happier ride.

8. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    All great info here. The best advice being to buy what you like best. It'll be your bike and you're the one who's gonna have to live with it.

See who is selling what in your area and go see them. Sit on the bikes. If it's a used bike, factor in future maintenace costs.

I know dealers around here still have a few beautiful 6th gens in the showrooms. If some around your area do go and take a look and see how they fit.

The year VFR's are as follows:

2nd gen: 1986-1989 (750cc GDC)
    [​IMG]

3rd gen: 1990-1993 (750cc GDC)
    [​IMG]

4th gen: 1994-1997 (750cc GDC)
    [​IMG]

5th gen: 1998-2001 (800cc GDC)
    [​IMG]

6th gen: 2002-2009 (800cc VTEC)
    [​IMG]

7th gen: 2010- (1200cc)
    [​IMG]

They are all versitile bikes. Some generations have changes between years. I think there are a few different editions of the 6th gen.

If you don't like carbs or you want FI buy a 5th gen or higher.

when you hear the Gear Driven Cams though...maintenace free and music to the ears.

9. chain driven

chain driven New Member

United Kingdom
    for what it worth I,ve just got a 5th generation ( 2000) 38k on the clock, fast , smooth, and very nimble and what a sound above 5k.

10. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    I had an '07 and really liked it (still miss it). The VFR in my future will either be a 4th gen (94-97) or the 5th gen in yellow (2000). I would rather have a 4th gen, I think, because it doesn't have linked brakes and I get along well with carburetors.

11. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    No recalls from '06 forward.

12. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    If you really, really want EFI and the opportunity to map the fuel injection, get a 5th or a 6th. If you really, really want gear-driven cams, get a 4th or a 5th. If you really, really want ABS . . . well, you get the idea.

But why limit your search to one generation? When I was shopping for a used VFR I really, really wanted a 5th Gen, but a screaming deal popped up on a 6th Gen. The bike was in great shape and cheap. So I bought it.

All VFRs are great bikes.

13. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    It's pretty much been answered, but IMO get as new as you can afford. I ride a 5th gen and love it, but parts are getting scarcer. They are not impossible to find, but nowhere near as easy as the 6th gen which had a much longer run. If you want to be more unique in a crowd of VFRs, though, go older (or brand new 7th gen). The ninja you mentioned is a good bike, too. Prob doesn't sound as good as a VFR, but that's MHO of course.