What gas mileage?

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by RGonVFR, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Dalexander

Dalexander New Member

Map
    Hi, fuel consumption seems to be an issue with the VFR. The range you get out of it varies enormously from bike to bike. I got my VFR last year (used - 2003 model) and managed to ride around 200M with a tank. Then the Japanese speed restriction was removed and the consumption changed for the worse. In town I get maybe 100M out of a tank now and on the open road about 150M when I am lucky. I ride sometimes with guys on much more powerful bikes e.g. fireblades and they need much less gas. Various shops tried their 'best' but without improvement. I have no idea what the bike does with the extra petrol - maybe it runs a business selling it at night.. Luckily gas is fairly cheap in Thailand and so I just bite the bullet. It's still annoying though. Anyhow I love riding the VFR and so accept its flaws.. Some people drive gas guzzling cars and just enjoy the ride - so am I.. Enjoy riding, Axel

2. Dalexander

Dalexander New Member

Map
    Just an add on. The bike is at a shop now for some injection problems. I fitted Leo Vince's a few weeks ago and even though I love the sound the riding got a bit jerky. And then I started to have bigger problems i.e. sudden power loss like cylinders dropping out. The shop is changing spark plugs, air filter (to K&N), cleans the injection system, checks the injection setting. They say it will improve the petrol consumption. Hmm, there is always hope. Will keep you posted. Axel

3. Dalexander

Dalexander New Member

Map
    and another one.. I just realized that the mpg figure is different between the US and the UK. I am German (don't worry .. no invasion coming..) and 'think' in liters per 100km.
    So for me a good value is somewhere between 4 and 6 Liters per 100km. 6 Liters is something a car with good efficiency should not exceed. And a car carries 5 people with that consumption and a lot more weight.
    A UK gallon is about 4.5 liters
    A US gallon is about 3.8 liters
    100km is about 62 miles
    So the simple story is that a bike should never need more than 45 mpg based on the US gallon.. Anything less is a disgrace. So the VFR is in that category... Hope the fun is worth it and I hope the green guys don't target us that soon.. Axel

4. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Sorry...not following you...what is "the Japanes speed restriction?"
    (Please say hello to Bangkok for me! I spent two years there as a child in the 60's. I'd love to visit again!)

5. Dalexander

Dalexander New Member

Map
    Hi Nungboy, the 'Japanese speed restriction' is something I found out when I found an empty stretch of road and thought hey lets see how fast the lady is. Exactly 180km/h it was. The spec says something like 256km/h so I was puzzled. The shop explained that bikes manufactured for the Japanese market are limited to 180km/h. Most big bikes here are dodgy imports from Japan, usually shipped in parts and assembled here to avoid the vast import duties. That explained as well why my TDM 850 behaves funny at 180km/h. It stutters and coughs and stays roughly at that speed. I put it down as a carburetor flaw and accepted it. But not with the VFR though. So I got it derestricted. At first it drove faster but the speedo showed 180km/h. Then they sorted that out too. That's when the issue with the petrol consumption started.
    As of today I know why. I had the VFR at a garage where they identified a number of issues. Firstly a sensor was gone. (changing cost me 250USD..). That impacted vastly on the power delivery but I did not know it though (I had no experience with what the normal power is supposed to be). And they found that the injection control unit has been modified. Anyhow, they fitted a racing air filter from K&N and set everything up. When I picked it up I could not believe it! The acceleration is downright scary. Bangkok roads are a bit slippery even if dry. (all the oil from nasty buses, trucks etc). With the old set up I only had to watch the first few meters when starting from zero. But now even at 80km/h I have to be careful not to loose traction at the rear tyre. Now I have to control acceleration. And the sound has changed as well due to the air filter I would guess. It's much deeper and in combination with the Leo Vinces the sound is just great. I am not so sure about the consumption though. The shop guys told me that the modified injection control unit makes the mixture richer and especially when the engine gets hot leads to high consumption. But they said as well that it is the basis of the power gain. Hm, I opt for the power..

A note on Bangkok. It must have been vastly different in the 60ties. I was here 15 years ago and then it was mostly low rise buildings with a lot of poverty on display. Now it's resembling an American city with quite a few high rise towers and the poor are shifted to the second row of houses. I have mixed feelings. Sometimes I love it sometimes I hate it. The traffic is horrendous, that's why I started riding bikes. The people are generally nice, politics are a disaster, lots of fun, lots of frustration, extremely expensive or cheap depending on life style, safe unless you are riding a bike.. but in summary a great place to live and love.. There a lots of Americans here (and Germans..). If you ever come over I would be happy to ride out with you! You would have to take the TDM though.. Jing Jing (if you still know what it means.. if not: I mean it)
    Axel

PS: I like the picture in your name tag. Is that related to your time in Bangkok?

6. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Ok...I understand a lot more now. And that is great your guys figured all that out. It must be a blast to have more power.
    And I am sure Bangkok is so different. Traffic was sort of bad then but I know it is insane now. I think the temple complexes would be very close to what I remember but all of the buildings would blow my mind! I miss all the exotic elements...music, food, dance, architecture, etc.
    I miss Loy Krathong!
    Enjoy it all for me!