What engine oil to choose

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by panicos, Mar 5, 2012.

1. VeryFuckingRadical

VeryFuckingRadical New Member

United States
    I used mobile 1 racing 10-40. Seems it had the best reviews. I just put new ebc clutch road/race plates and now it won't move when I put it in gear. Just totally slips. I took it back apart because I forgot to tork the spring bolts. Just cranked them down but it's still slipping when in gear. The covers still off I can see it won't grab down right. . Do you have to bleed the clutch when you put new plates and plads in?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

2. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    One thing you can do is check your stack height. Compare new to old. If it's slipping that bad, somethings missing.

3. vfrMatt86

vfrMatt86 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Something is definitely going on. Check stack height. Make sure the slave rod is in correct position. Bleeding it wouldn't hurt it but you shouldn't need to if you didn't introduce any air into the system by opening it up.

The oil you used.. it's designed for motorcycles with a wet clutch? You need an oil that has the proper friction multiplier.

https://blog.amsoil.com/how-to-protect-a-motorcycle-wet-clutch-and-how-it-works/

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    avoid any oils that say "energy conserving".

5. VeryFuckingRadical

United States
    I used mobile 1 racing 10-40 designed for wet clutch systems. I spent a good while researching oils and everything I read pointed to this stuff being the God of oils. Check out the reviews it's pretty convincing. I got it back together but I didn't have a gasket so used gasket maker and it's been raining today so I haven't had a chance to test it out. I pulled in the clutch lever last night and it popped back and hissed a little which was weird. The little rubber boot around the piston that the lever pushes in is split in like 4 places and it seems a little gummed up. The clutch stopped spinning by hand when that happened (while in gear) I lubed it up pretty good and it seems to be working a lot better There's actually free play which there wasn't before but it doesn't come all the way out unless I pull on it. I'd imagine when it's running it'll start feeling better. I'm going to start searching for rebuild kits for that. It's a lot more worn down then the brake side which makes sense. Does anyone know if the 92 models came with a center stand or seat cowl? Mine doesn't have either. It has the grab bars that can be quickly tucked under the seat which is pretty cool. I've also been curious to know what I can and can't use on the chain to clean and lube it. These chains have rubber o rings between the rollers from what I understand and certain cleaners can deteriorate them. Thanks for the input yall.

6. VeryFuckingRadical

United States
    Check out the mobile 1 motorcycle fully synthetic racing 10-40 oil reviews. They are pretty convincing. I replaced the clutch pads plates and springs last night and used this oil but it's been raining most the day so haven't been able run it myself yet. I spent about a day researching oils to find out what is the best. Isn't that what we all want? The mobile 1 stuff clearly had the best user reviews so that's what I went with. I'm looking forward to run it myself now and wish this rain would stop. (central Illinois USA) I come from a family of mechanics primarily Ford. Just turned 40 last week but I feel and act 25 most the time. Back when I was growing up my father was very highly regarded as being the best mechanic around. I was lucky people people spoke very highly of him. He always taught me whatever you do do it right the first time regardless of how much extra time or cost you may not save by cutting corners. or don't do it at all that way you won't have to come back and do it again. Even simple stuff like, getting up to get the correct tool to pry something rather then saving time and using a screw driver. I always catch myself stopping myself from doing things half ass because of this and its one of the things I've learned from him among many that I truly value. He'd routinely get personal jobs that stumped the dealerships. He took a job as a Mitsubishi service manager and I've learned an aweful lot from him. I use to ask him what is the best oil. He use to say oil is oil but I like valvoline and do not like penzoil. He told me that's because of his personal experience testing engines apart that were maintained using one VS the others. That's not the case anymore. Oil has came a long way and is very device specific so what you use really does matter now. Even though this mobile 1 motorcycle 10'40 racing shit is really expensive after a day of researching and reading reviews I'm convinced it's a good choice.

7. VeryFuckingRadical

United States
    (tearing* engines apart) not testing