what did you do to your vfr today?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by f3racer, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Nice OOTV. Ever think about getting a track only bike?

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I thought about it but I only have so much room in my garage, so I grabbed the 5 Gen to kind of be my track/play bike. I like being able to ride the canyons and prefer to use my 6 Gen as my commuter/tourer and really prefer not to succumb the Duc to be a track only bike either. So the 5 Gen is going to have to suffice for now. Unless I win the lottery, I think it'll be this way for a while :wink:

3. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Can't wait for the video ...
    Glad ya came out unscathed

4. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    charged the battery, put air in tires, cleaned brakes-put cover back over-almost went for a ride.

5. HawkhoundVA

HawkhoundVA Member

United States
    Map
    Road to work. Temp was 73 and awesome today. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Prepped and ready to get on the track...

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Hot Damn, Nice and Thanks for this profile, this has me re thinking the white wheel look. Now if I was to replace the VFR emblems there with ones with a touch of white, that should make for a decent looking machine ;)

7. atx

atx New Member

United States
    I pulled the carbs off the 96 and replaced the main jets, wow what a difference. It runs perfectly now, even warms up a little bit more, before it was barely moving the needle off cold until long highway use. I got new bowl gaskets from Joe at v4dreams.com who has been a huge help keeping my viffers going. I also got a cut to fit tank grip set and tossed those on, wow what a huge difference in comfort. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/techspec-snake-skin-general-sheet
    [​IMG]

I tossed an extra brake light on there that i got at a local cop shop. Whelen tir3 LED.
    https://www.gtdist.com/whelen-tir3-series-super-ledr.html
    http://www.whelen.com/auto/product.php?head_id=12&cat_id=74&prod_id=145

It has blinking modes but honestly it is so bright on solid i set it there to not make people think i'm some sort of official vehicle. I'm tempted to get a flasher that blinks 5 times and goes solid since that is 50 state legal from what i can find, and shouldn't confuse anyone. Also thinking about wiring it so i can use it as a constant on fog light, but i'm fine with it for now. It is highly visible from all angles, but has a direct beam of light that comes up at an angle because of the mounting and should really get someone's attention when they are within about 40 feet of me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Blinky mode(now disabled), hard for the camera to even capture it honestly.
    [​IMG]

8. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Whoa that'll catch ones eye. I have always wondered about of those pressure type switches that make the brake light brighter as more pressure is applied, but this ain't bad.

9. atx

atx New Member

United States
    I've been nerding out researching flashers in my down time at work. This one senses g forces and changes the flashing when it senses harder braking, not bad for 30 bucks and you can tinker with the settings on it if you want:
    http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/brak...er-module-with-brake-force-monitor-p-183.html

This one seems to be the go to for super basic brake blinks that is well reviewed, no tinkering on this one. 5 bucks:
    https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/emergency-strobe/brake-light-strobe-module/195/845/

10. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Any of you racers know if there is software or a formula to calculate race lines?

11. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Sure. Just type in all the data (bike, year, mods, oil type, tires, miles on tires, your weight after a crap, color of the bike, condition of the paint and what wax you use) into the program and it spits out the race line of every track on Earth for every weather condition. Only $5.00 on Ebay. Best fin I ever spent.

12. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Here are a couple videos from Sunday. I spliced a couple videos together in this first video and the second is just one after lunch when they opened the track again.

This is the orientation lap mixed with my last laps before lunch time. Notice the fast guys in the latter half of the video. I felt like I was standing still! To be honest I really wasn't pushing it at all, considering I haven't been on a track in quite a long time and I was just getting familiar with the track, I didn't feel the need to push the limits. I did like the track though, a mix of technical and fast.

[video=youtube_share;amjtA9NMIxw]http://youtu.be/amjtA9NMIxw[/video]

13. OOTV

OOTV Insider

So this was our last run of the day, you'll see the winds pick up pretty good. Although I was a little concerned about sand on the track, the winds were blowing so hard it didn't have time to settle. You can see though the amount of sand that was there based on the little rooster tail of the guy in front of me. At this point most people left due to the high winds so we pretty much had the whole track to ourselves! I did a few more laps, then we called it a day too.

[video=youtube_share;PgwDS5roTuE]http://youtu.be/PgwDS5roTuE[/video]

14. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Man the sand is nuts! Looks like a few of those guys need to work on their lines. lol

15. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    I found Race Optimal software which is generating such a database for every track and every vehicle. Also I found a white paper at the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) on the algorithm they use. You must be a university student as $5 is exactly the student price for the white paper! I wish you would have just mentioned the actual name rather than all of that nonsense you wrote. Thanks anyway though.

16. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Now that is funny Knight. It was a fucking joke. lol

17. OOTV

OOTV Insider

You're not kidding! We were standing around the truck chatting and having lunch and we got a few gust and it felt like we were being sand blasted! There was sand EVERYWHERE, it was almost like we went sport bike riding in the dunes! Now that I am more familiar with this track, the next outing I'll be picking up the pace a little. Most likely not at the speeds some of those guys were running but enough to get near the upper edge of my comfort zone.

As far as lines go, some of those guys probably could have used that software Knight mentioned :wink:. Most of my laps I was trying to be more polite with some of the guys in front of me, more so because sometimes the faster riders would come out of nowhere and be where you least expect it. It took a while to get use to not having any mirrors. I'm so use to street riding I had to shift my brain to use audible clues as to where riders were coming from rather than the visual indicators I'm use to. All in all it was a great day even if I didn't break triple digits more than a few times. I was really trying to work on body English and choosing my lines. I wouldn't say I have this track down but on the next round I think I'll only need the warm up lap before I get more aggressive. Most of the guys had tire warmers so as soon as they hit the track they were off and running.

18. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Yeah it will be a lot more fun next time without the sand. I'd be constantly worrying about traction. Did it stick to your hot tires when you got back to the pits?
    Fast guys will find their way around with no problem as long as you hold your line. Its when someone changes their line (often hearing a faster rider passing) that causes problems. I have come very close to ass packing a few who changed their line. A local track near me runs at night sometimes, now that took some getting use to. The shadows moving all around can really be disorientating. A real good practice for holding your line. After a few sessions though the night riding was lot of fun. If I'm tracking a lot in a year I can run Advanced and though I'm usually in the back 1/3 and its moving fast it always seems much safer than Intermediate where you get a whole mixed bag and the most crashes. Last year I only got in a few track days and ran Intermediate, so many that should really be back in beginner. Hard for the young guys to check their ego and just learn to ride. Glad your having fun. I bet if you keep this up you will find a bit more room for a track bike. lol My CBR 1000 is still street legal, keeps her running through the year even if I can't make the track. I have 6 bikes stuffed in my garage, I wish my son would get his dirt bike and free up some room.

19. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    This Knight dude is really sharp.

20. OOTV

OOTV Insider

No issues with the sand sticking as I wasn't pushing it hard enough at the time the winds were kicking in. I'm sure if the tires were really gummy it probably would have stuck some.

As far as more bikes or specifically a track bike? I would love to have a few more bikes but two things keep that from happening. Space for one, as I only have a single car garage (My wife has her own single car garage too) and we cannot park our personal vehicles in the guest parking spots in our complex and street parking is less desirable notion. Second is a wife that is, ironically, not big on spending money other than for necessities! She actually spends way less money than I do. If she saw some of the price tags on things I bought, she probably would be really upset with me. As it is, I bought the '01 without telling her first. I brought it home and put it in my garage and hid it behind my Duc until a good time to let her know that I bought it! In this case it was ask for forgiveness rather than permission! I convinced her why I needed/wanted it and so far so good. Unfortunately I only get one get out of jail free card.