what did you do to your vfr today?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by f3racer, Aug 10, 2014.

1. CaribooBC

CaribooBC New Member

Canada
    Map
    Any problems finding neutral after installing it?

2. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    The heavier springs had no effect on finding neutral. The factory pro shift kit made it harder though. The sato rearsets, depending on how you set them up, can make shifting faster and neutral harder to find or shifting slower and neutral easier to find. But the point to going fast, isn't finding neutral.

3. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
  4. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map

Every time I see this bike, I am in complete AWW of the amount of man hours you must have put into it. Though it is not my taste, as I am more of a function over form guy and this looks like mainly aesthetic mods, I have a lot of respect for the amount of work you have put in to it. I see you have the sato rear sets, what other performance mods do you have on there?

5. Darth Vader

Darth Vader New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    First ride in a month , just rode round my old stomping ground seeing how things have changed in that part of town.Had a really good time just bumbling around. I love my 5th gen especially the sound it makes.
    The best version of the best bike Honda ever made !

6. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    The red 98 was great
    The white 93 was timeless
    I like the white 06 and of course the 07 candyred and RW&B.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

7. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Out for a ride on my usual back roads with my 83 1st gen and hit a bump, the rear pipes separated from the short down pipes! MacGyver to the rescue, thankfully I could sit down all the way home without my pants falling down.
    [​IMG]

8. icycle2much

icycle2much New Member

United States
    Map
    Mac would be proud, nicely done!

9. thecat

thecat New Member

Hi Cadbury
    So sorry to hear abt your crash. It's a real bugger. Just glad you not hurt. I hit a diesel spill myself on my first gen Vfr many years ago. Bike was written off and I was in traction for nigh on three months with a dislocated pelvis.
    Your Vfr will be restored to its former glory I am sure.
    Best wishes

10. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I woulda been up chits' creek as I don't wear belts, or very seldom :pound: I installed some H4 bulbs I bought in Germany and installed a slip-on pipe :vtr2: nice to hear the V-Four GrowllLLllL

11. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Looks like I could use a new belt! Cadbury, I know how you feel, I went down on my '83 back in the mid 80's due to an oil slick down the middle of the Angeles Crest.

12. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Thanks again guys. I revisited the scene of the crime today, looking for a few stray bits of fairing on the off-chance that it could be plastic welded back together. Even found an unbroken indicator bulb and the plastic panel below the headlight that has popped out! I wondered how big of a spill it was (beating myself up about being unable to avoid it) and found this ( after 5 days of weather and traffic):

IMG_1926.jpg
    IMG_1927.jpg

Nice to see that someone has attempted to mop up. Sure wish I knew who was to blame.

Took my rashed parts to a repair shop but they believe the side panel is too far gone, but did estimate just the repaint cost for a single panel at US$200. I've had a quote for top, side and tail fairings painted and shipped from Auctmarts China at US$280 so that is the way I'll be going.

13. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry, I would call the city and tell them to get there ass's out there and do there job before another accident happens...
    Cant figure how a diesel spill could happen there other then a big rig accident and if thats the case I would think there's a lawsuit against the city...no?

14. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Naah, this is way out in the country on a pretty minor road, definitely not big rig country. I think that the most likely cause would be a farmer or forestry contractor towing a diesel tank trailer, took the bend quickly and didn't have a cap or lid on the tank. I'm not even really sure it is diesel as the inside of the fairing behind the front wheel was covered in what looked more like oil (and it hasn't evaporated yet). So could be someone transporting some waste oil had the container tip over on the bend.

15. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Ooooh..diesel is slippey as snot. ; (

16. bravastar1

bravastar1 New Member

United States
    Map
    I changed the oil in my 2014 800 yesterday and rode it 400.3 miles today.

On top of Cottonwood Pass in Colorado.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  17. thecat

thecat New Member

Don't beat yourself up. When met with a diesel or oil slick there's very little u could have given the size of the one you faced. Mine happened on a long sweeping corner in the city, that I had been traveling on since I was a child so I can claim I knew it well. By the time of my crash, that road was four lanes wide. There was little traffic that early in the morning and I picked the outside lane. But as I entered the corner, there's The bloody slick about 2 meter wide and more than 20 long. Some bloody truck i.e. Or bus driver had filled the tank to the max and did not secure the cap. So the fuel spilled as they went round the corner. Almost 30 years later I still wonder I I could have done anything to avoid it. But the answer is nothing. In a split second the front wheel collapsed and I was sliding on the ground chasing the bike. It was one of those things. A year later I resumed riding on a gpz550. The club organized a ride to welcome me back, a long one on which, despite lingering pain I completed to my great satisfaction. But ironically, my best mate who bought the first gen Vfr at the same time as me, went down in an inexplicable tank slapper, on that ride , the fuel tank punctured and the bike caught fire and burned to a blackened crisp.
    These days my riding is focused on seeing through each corner as far as I can, then on the approach casting for shiny surfaces while preparing to react by picking a backup line. Fingers on the brake certainly. My mantra now is ride as if my wife was my pillion all the time and sloowww in, fast out.

18. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I don't need to beat myself up, the crash did that pretty well. Not sure what I've done to my ribs but they were settling down and feeling pretty good until last night. My wife insisted that I bring the work tandem axle trailer home for a dump run today, and I had to unhook it last night at home. Having to release the towball and lift has put me right back to the same pain level as the day of the crash. Won't be doing that again in a hurry.:frown-new:

19. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Wow Cad crazy how shit just comes outa the blue, good to read your not the worse of it.

That being said, all I've done of late with the VFR is drool over it as I walk around it in the garage doing other need the garage space for other projects. Nice to have it around, if for nothing else the smile it puts on my face knowing all the good times to come.

20. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
    Swapped water pump from F parts bike to the R. Drained the black sludge from the R, now thinking I need to remove exhaust to clean out sump.
    Servicing wifes car, gardening and cleaning gutters took up too much time.