what did you do to your vfr today?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by f3racer, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Been in electronics all my life, the formula is E=IR. Somewhere along the road someone decided 'E' didn't make sense, so they modernized it to 'V';
    [​IMG]
    The point is, where ever there is an 'R' value, heat will be generated.

2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    a bit of elbow grease polishing up the corners. damn this red is HOT!

3. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Sure, but how painful would it be for every teacher to say this daily as, "The equation that we derived from Ohm's law to help us do calculations for ideal circuits"? It would not be fair to make them repeat this over and over.

The larger damage is that this is named a "law". Even reference materials indicate that it is not a law but a description of the property of materials, and that some materials do not follow it.

Rename "Ohm's Law" to "Ohm's Rule" now!

4. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Should we rename Newton's 3 "Laws" to "Rules"?

5. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    First, I think this is a helpful description for us, from Webster's:

Law: "a statement of an order or relation of phenomena that so far as is known is invariable under the given conditions "

The answer to your question is maybe, and funny, even though this is physics, the answer depends on one's point of view.

Ohm's law by its own definition is not a law. It says there right in textbook references and clearly it is misnamed. "Non-ohmic materials" do not comply with this supposed law. "V=IR" is repeated over and over without including the words "for a given material"

You brought up something totally different. Newton's laws are laws as far as physicists know today. We do not know empirically of violations to Netwon. Now, if you believe in the tenet that "There are no physical laws", things become complicated. Do we remove the word "law" from the description because we suspect that it will be violated some day? We do require some sort of structure of axiom, theory, law, etc. to define the universe, so we should probably preserve the word "law" until the law is actually observed to fall apart.

That said Newton's laws, like anything else will be disproven. They are like any other man-made scientific definitions. They apply to a relatively small set of physical problems, here on earth, and in this time space. As soon as we go "out there" (I am pointing to the sky right now) these so-called laws will in fact completely fall apart.

On the THIRD hand, the definition regards a given set of conditions. So we can always say that the different time-space is by definition different conditions, and we can write law after law after law that complies with the given environment, each law opposing the last, and still say all of them comply with the definition of "law."

I am reminded of a discussion of analog versus digital. My digital design professor said, "Is a digital clock analog or digital?" The answer is, it depends on how closely you look at it. From a distance you see numbers, and it is clearly digital. Then you look very closely at the circuit, and it is clearly analog. I think the definition of "conditions" complies with this as well. To God, the entire universe is one condition. But we get in a rocket ship, and move away from here, and closer to somewhere else, and from our view they are completely different conditions. So a "given condition" may always be our perception based on how far away it is.

Parts of the universe are by observation accelerating. After billions of years, and the resulting entropy (another set of laws) this is impossible. So we already have observations telling us, yes, these laws are not laws. But they help us build buildings, so we can call them "laws" until such time as we develop the theory to go around them.

However, someone other than me might say, "Yes we should not call these laws" and in some respect they would be absolutely correct. So, just choose a side for yourself. :argue2:

Well, my keyboard just ran out of ink.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  6. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    So can we agree that the VFR's wiring and connectors behave close enough to an "Ohmic" material so that owners can understand that the resistance created by corrosion and poor contact is the culprit in creating heat? In 12 volt systems, we are dealing with very high current values.

7. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    If I am recalling correctly, I have been in total agreement with such posts of yours. People should periodically refresh the connections and switches. Catastrophic failures, whether a bad back or getting stranded on the road, are usually a series of long-term micro-events that, unchecked, result in a single large failure. To your point, I would presume that as small amounts of corrosion build, the heat of that current builds dramatically. Resulting arcing results in further degradation of the materials. Yep, yep, yep, and yep.

8. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Starting to receive some more of the parts for my supermoto build.

Because I removed the entire PAIR system from the bike and replaced the X cylinder with an R cylinder, I needed to come up with a solution for the crankcase and valve cover breather hoses. The stock crankcase breather configuration routes the breather hose into the airbox, which means the airbox is getting warm, oily air into it when the engine is venting. The valve cover breather hose is routed down by the chain and is plugged with a plastic vent fitting. Not a very good setup for either. The commercially available catch cans wouldn't work as I have the oil cooler hoses where they typically mount and they are mounted so that you can't remove the dipstick to check the oil level without removing the can....not very efficient.

I took some light cardboard and made up a model for a breather catch can. It is constructed of 1/8" aluminum and has weld on fittings to connect the two breather hoses and a miniature K&N breather filter. An M6 weld on bung was added to the bottom so that it is easy to periodically drain the can. The plug is an M6x10 ti bolt and the stock Honda copper washer used on the coolant drain bolt.

CatchCan1C.jpg

Breather1.jpg

The can will be powdercoated white to match the powdercoated engine case.

I am also working on a carbon fiber radiator catch can and I'm just waiting to get the can mount back from the carbon fabricator. I did the same thing with that....light cardboard model to be used as a template....the fabricator transferred the cardboard template into a Kydex template and is almost done laying up the actual carbon fiber.

Kydex Template.jpg

The mount will be used to hold this:

Nihilo.jpg

These pieces allowed the removal of 4+ pounds of stock clutter and weight.

9. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    my-brain-is-full-300x272.jpg

I'm truly sorry I started this now...

10. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    We had a perfect early spring day yesterday, so I headed out early for a wonderful 250km loop in the country. 'Twas a little nippy and I was delighted when I remembered that I was on the VFR which has heated grips! Aaahhh, bliss!

[​IMG]

Stopped in the sun beside this little bird at Kaiaua.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    ^ Cadbury, are those rims naked? or powder coated that color? For me today, I rode the VFR.

12. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    OMG! You actually ride your bike? Thankee Jesus. ;)

13. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    This is the standard silver paint I believe.

14. jorgescar69

jorgescar69 New Member

United States
    Map
    41000 miles!

15. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Crazy, awe, figured they where redone, then you have one of those unattainable VFRs we never saw here state side.

16. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    91000km (=56544 miles). Running like a watch.

17. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Yeah I'm sure silver wheels are good for another 5km/hr top speed easily. Not as easy to keep clean as black wheels however. [​IMG]

mhzpower likes this.
  18. rideswithchrist

rideswithchrist New Member

Today I started the end of my long line of obsession over this little 500. Started getting it ready to sell. I still have another VF500 in the shed that is my "rat", but recent vehicle woes have forced me into liquidation mode. This one was going to be my factory restoration, but she's going to a better place where there is a new fuel petcock in her future. 20150928_003515.jpg

19. jorgescar69

jorgescar69 New Member

United States
    Map
    9800 miles later...
    [​IMG]
    needs front and rear tires.
    Sticking with the Contimotion.
    cant beat the price for the set.

20. paradox206

paradox206 New Member

United States