what did you do to your vfr today?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by f3racer, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Yeah waiting for parts..... But when you have your ducks in a row you can get the job done fast. And its fun too. Getting into a project to just have it come to a screaming halt because of some part is a royal pain in the ass.

2. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ti Nitrided Titanium Caliper Pistons for Front and Rear Calipers
    Ti Slide Pins, Grub Plugs, and Bleeders for Front and Rear Calipers
    Ti Wheel Locating Pins and Special Bolts
    Ti Replica Honda Left and Right Axle Nuts with Billet Wheel Spacer, black ano to match newly stripped and pc'd wheels
    Ti Hollow Swingarm Pinch Bolt
    Ti Rear Sprocket bolts with DLC coated Ti Bi Hex Metal Lock Nuts

Titan Classics UK
    Tyga Performance Thailand
    ProBolt USA

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    KarlR likes this.
  3. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    All that lot makes it a easy 4 digit spend... what was the state of the bike like..

4. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I would prefer to not talk about the money, it really doesn't matter, what matters is the finished product. The machine is from Tokyo and was described as a cosmetic 7.5 out of 10 and a mechanical 9.0 out of 10 by the importer. Moto2 Imports were the importers and it's currently undergoing some other work at SpeedWerks in Delaware before it gets shipped to AZ. Tyga large volume carbon airbox, left exit dual shotgun carbon can full race system, dyno tuning, stripped and powdercoated wheels, and a DID gold 520 conversion kit, full service and a detail. Machine comes fully US titled, with correct number VIN and all customs paperwork. I am saving the stock fairings and having them refurbished and I bought a set of aftermarket fairings and they are being custom painted the stock colors, all except I had the RVF logo done in yellow, instead of the white.

I am only scratching the surface with the couple pics I put up. Maybe I will do a thread on it when I start the actual build.

http://www.moto2imports.com/current-inventory/honda-rvf400-arriving-soon

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Bubba Utah likes this.
  5. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    Good going NB, anyone can have a great bike, it's the little things and attention to detail that turns it into a masterpiece.

6. KarlR

KarlR New Member

United States
    Map

7. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Please do another build thread.

8. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Oh I agree with you - it's just a lot of spend on a bike that's 7.5 out of 10 - lol
    I'm positive you will love it once finished - I love the 3 of mine..

And start a build thread...

9. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

It's not you, every single time I do a build on here, the haters come flying out of the woodwork telling me I could have bought 8 5g's for what I paid, etc, etc. What is lost on them, is that you will only end up with 8 used up 5g's. Like I always say, the person that best knows how to spend, or not spend, your money, is somebody you don't know on VFR World. Apparently, there are a lot of personal finance coaches that ride VFR's.

I might have some leftover Chinese aluminum radiators for the NC35, one straight top rad, one curved top rad, one bottom rad that has had the mounts removed, straightened and welded back on straight....As soon as I know if they are needed or not, i'll let ya know. I'm willing to just give them to you, once I'm finished with them. I have some custom ones coming from the UK, just don't know how long it will take to get them, as they are fabricated from scratch.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  10. TwoWheelJunkie

TwoWheelJunkie New Member

United States
    Map
    Today I successfully changed a dipped headlight bulb without removing any bodywork or digits from my hands in the process. I'm now considering re-training as a gynaecologist as I feel I've learned a lot of transferrable skills during the swap. I only cursed a couple of times, honest.

I also ordered some bits I needed following the recent service; brake & clutch master cylinder diaphragms (how much?!), pivot bolt for the N/S/F brake caliper (not happy with the slop in the existing one's head) and a few plastic clips for the battery cover panel. Surprising how much you can spend on not a lot!

11. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map

Thanks NB... I like your choices so far - & totally agree with you..
    If you come over to the uk You can try one of mine (if it's not raining - lololol)

12. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

It would be a shame to just let them collect dust, I'm sure you could find a home for them. I'll keep you posted, I also have a few other bits that won't get used, Tyga carbon res mount for the stock master, and I'll see what's left over when I'm finished up. It might be a bit of time before I finish up, but as soon as I have the stock rads shipped over to Rick, that will mean it's time for them to go.

13. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    20181109_193636.jpg
    I replaced to ugly mirrors on my 97. I thought they looked like bug antennae.

14. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I know this sounds downright creepy as hell, but I often find myself looking in the background of photos in people's garage pics....you can get an interesting insight into a person by what they have going on in the background.

15. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    LOL, me too. Not much showing there though. I guess I take care of my yard. And I work on my vehicles with an air compressor and a rear stand.

16. Cycleman1

Cycleman1 New Member

Canada
    Bike is a 1999 VFR. I had picked up a used trunk and over the last few days I built a rack to hold the trunk. The trunk can be removed and just leave the bare rack for hauling camping gear etc. I had looked at some of the commercial trunk set ups that are still available, but figured I had the time and the ability so I went ahead and built the rack.

The metal portions of the rack still have to be painted and need some minor finishing and I likley will have to repaint the trunk, debating on colour match or just your basic black. I've used truck bed liner on trunks I've fixed in the past and is an interesting option for a flat black that is durable.

17. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    Changed the rear brake fluid, rebuilt the clutch master and slave cylinders, changed out the air filter for a K&N. While I was in there, I checked the plugs (which need replacing) so those are on order. Man, this is not an easy bike to work on. So many things to remove just to get to things.

I bought a lowering link but I am going to save that for another day. Looks like one of the bolts is really hard to get to. Looks like the centerstand is going to have come off which means I will have to figure out how to support the rear of the bike with the weight off the swingarm.

18. OOTV

OOTV Insider

You shouldn’t have to remove the center stand if I remember correctly. Note that removing the center stand means you would have to remove the headers, as one of the bolts would back out and hit the headers preventing its removal!

19. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Thank you for making me feel, just a touch, better about my creeping tendencies, LOL!

20. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    It sure looked like I wouldn't be able to pull out the front bolt on the left side but I will look again.