what did you do to your vfr today?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by f3racer, Aug 10, 2014.

1. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    Nobody uses the Honda globes, you just cut off 2 of the tabs on a normal one and they fit straight in.

2. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Here's what I did today. Got stranded in Barstow, CA. Bike died completely. Meter in my battery says it is completely drained. Stator, regulator, or both. Also, my engine sounds like it has a knock at idle.

Having a trailer hitch put on my car so we can rent a trailer and tow my bike.

Just gutted. Worst case scenario, I replace the engine. Fucked up way to start a vacation. $670 just for the hitch and trailer rental.

3. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry Randy, wish I could of helped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bubba Utah and Lint like this.
  4. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map

That is a bitch, sorry to hear it. Hope for the best!
    Mike D.

5. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    I was sad to see links demise. But, I did have a great day after being depressed about my vacation being cancelled to Flaming gorge with friends. I got up early and decide to go on a solo ride from Salt Lake to Evanston Wy. Via I-80, to 189 and up 150 threw the High Uinta's past Mirror lake and on to Evanston and back. I haven't done that ride in a while. Great day and weather. Well, if you like the heat at the lower elevations at 93 f. Not a bad 250 mile ride, I did do further testing (70-85mph) on the cheap Bluetooth and found it be what I paid for it. I don't know if I like having music playing while riding. I find if distracting even at a low level. If it was louder and more clear I think that I would find it even future distracting. I guess that I just found out that I like to think and focus on the ride to get away, and music does not help. ;-) I will keep it on one for the phone option if I have a signal while riding though. July 2nd 2017.JPG

Samuel likes this.
  6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Sorry to hear that. Does that mean you have to cancel your vacation now? Or just a minor delay with major inconvenience?

Bubba Utah likes this.
  7. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map

I'm continuing my vacation. Bike is on the trailer, driving up to Montana with it. I'll fix it up there. Battery recharged itself some and my bike fired right up. The engine didn't have a knocking sound then, so I'll have to wait to get it running properly and ride it a while, then put a stethoscope on it and give it a listen.

It's a character building day.

Life goes on.

Samuel, duccmann and Bubba Utah like this.
  8. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    Hope everything else is nice and smooth from here on out Lint!

9. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Life is what happen when you makes plans. Well, I hope it was just a minor glitch and everything will upright itself. Good luck!

10. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    I forget which one of you guys here on VFRW or VFRD inspired me but I added a brake light - Feniex Cobra T3. Wired it straight to the rear brake light circuit. The mode I chose was two quick flashes and then a steady burn upon activation of the brakes. Excuse the poor quality cell phone pics, it's Much brighter than the stock brake light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. nicholas042416

nicholas042416 New Member

United States
    The H4 WILL WORK. Look at it as you put it in the assembly and you can see which tab to break off. Then bend the other one up slightly and lock them in.

12. OOTV

OOTV Insider

As usual, I didn't do this today but a couple of days ago, too busy working and riding to update the day I do stuff! ;)

I replaced the chain and sprockets on the 09 on Saturday. The chain was a bit out of sorts. In some places the slack was at the upper limit but in one or two places, barely at the lower limit! It was also very noisy and I could tell it was beyond usable for any more miles.

One thing that seems to trouble those new to chain replacement, how to keep the clutch slave from popping out. Harbor Freight has some inexpensive tools to help with this. I bought a couple of large spring clamps and used one of these on the clutch slave after removing it from the bike. Very easy and works great.

[​IMG]

RobVG and RVFR like this.
  13. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    New brake pedal.
    Bought a new one because I thought the old one would surely break (worse than it looks) if I tried to straighten it. Not the case. Had to use a pipe and a vice and a good amount of force. Even twisted the pad back a bit. Not perfect but close enough for a spare. b4.JPG af.JPG

New brake and clutch levers too. Kinda snazzy imo.

br.JPG

14. vegaquark

vegaquark New Member

Spain
    [​IMG]
    Replaced brake and clutch fluid level visors
    [​IMG]
    Cheap and nice :)

Lint, Mind_Surfer and Bubba Utah like this.
  15. nicholas042416

nicholas042416 New Member

United States
    Do those just snap in??

16. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Well today, I actually did something and posting on the same day! I replaced the injectors and did a Starter Valve Sync on my 09. Since this is my commuter bike, I decided to find some decent used injectors and have them cleaned and flow tested and then swap them out with the ones on my bike. I took the injectors to a place here in So Cal called RC Engineering. They are in Torrance (At Western and Torrance Blvd. Literally on that corner). They charged $24/ea injector and that includes replacing all of the o-rings and seals. The turn around was very quick. (24 hours) and they take all the major credit cards. They also have a mail in service, but since I have a project just down the road in El Segundo, I decided to drop them off and pick them up instead. I bought the four injectors for $85 on eBay and paid $96 for the cleaning service and the install labor was provide by me, so I saved that amount.

When I placed the gauges on the bike after installing the injectors, the levels were pretty close, I only had to do minor tweaks to 1 and 3 and a smidgen more on 2. After I was done, I took a test spin and what a difference! So much smoother at low speeds and the pull from a roll on throttle was worlds better than before, 0 hesitation. I'll be honest, I think the increase in performance was more due to the cleaned injectors than the SV sync. Either way, I'm happy. Next step is getting the cat-less headers for this bike done up in ceramic coating and installed.

Here's the report on the injectors.
    [​IMG]

The obligatory "look what I'm doing today" shot.

[​IMG]

And of course the short video clip of the sync gauges.

Lint, ridervfr, Scubalong and 3 others like this.
  17. vegaquark

vegaquark New Member

Spain
    Yeah, it has a o-ring on the back that makes a seal against the reservoir body, and the metal ring just snaps right in.
    The old one was a little bit complicated to take out, because of the reduced space inside the reservoir, i used a 9mm socket on the inside and a big one (bigger than the visor but cant remember the size) on the outside and then i used a chisel to push the small socket and the old visor out from the inside (pushing the 9mm socket) not very tight but you've got to be careful not to damage the body.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  18. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    It was a gorgeous Canada Day long weekend up here in Canuckistan and got a little riding in.

But the highlight was finding this brand new armored riding jacket for the lady ... I stole it for $20 ... it is brand new / never used. The guy won it in a silent auction / fundraiser event.

She's pleased as punch! We've almost gotten her all her gear she needs to be properly protected to ride. :)

19665349_10154493089121682_6034466852300109638_n.jpg

19. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I did a test fit of the front cowl of the 01 and cleaned up the bolts and threads here and there, nothing major to put into the rebuild thread, so just a mention here. I'm actually considering making a hole in the front fairing where I can place my snake camera lens behind and put a clear plexiglass cover over it, ala MotoGP bike front camera. Also looking at the different little bolts and fasteners I need to get as well. Did a little more investigative work on how I want to finish out the fairing repairs but no physical progress. Mainly taking it easy on my last day off and hanging with my 4 leg son, trying to keep him calm with all of the fireworks going off.

Lint likes this.
  20. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Added 195 miles to the clock today, total 81,650 to date.
    Yesterday learned a better way to get the beast off the center stand.
    All these years I have been sitting on it and rocking it off the stand.
    Standing next to it and rocking it is easier and feels safer.
    Maybe my legs are getting shorter. :Noidea:

Quibble and Bubba Utah like this.