what did you do to your vfr today?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by f3racer, Aug 10, 2014.

1. vdrive

vdrive New Member

United States
    Map
    warmed the VFR up for a morning ride & noticed a exhaust leak, collector rusted & crumbling beyond repair,,,,,spent $$$ for replacement header due to collector area rusting thru .Florida humidity is hard on mild steel exhaust bits.

2. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    A few recent mods (purists may want to stop reading/viewing now haha):

Not really a fair quiz because I haven’t been updating and I don’t really expect anyone else to give a rat’s ass about me or my bike ;) – that being said, try to spot or guess what I did about half an hour ago…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A: I replaced the emblems (will start another thread in 8th gen for anyone interested about that).

I’m not a fan of the new(er) circular Honda emblems but it wasn’t a dealbreaker for me in getting this bike. I’ve always liked the Honda Wing logo as a decal/sticker and may add one sometime in the near future (the below sticker has a clear background).

[​IMG]

Taking a page out of GatorGreg’s book, I added an LED bicycle light (only difference is mine’s a cheapy):

[​IMG]

Got it from Aliexpress.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Nig...32792168818.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.bT9YCD

Also got this one too:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sol...32734444062.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.bT9YCD

The one I have mounted is nice and decently bright (400lm) but I’m not crazy about the mounting – the threaded strap is plastic and I don’t think it’s gonna be there for the long haul. It’s also easy for the light to pivot left and right, the detents are weak. It’s decently bright and has a strobe that I like (not “too fast”, not “too slow”).

The solar one has what seems to be a more sturdy mounting system (but in both cases, the light housings and mounting sockets are both plastic so…) and is solar rechargeable. It’s not as bright (250lm) as the one that’s currently mounted and the strobe frequency is significantly faster than the other one (“too fast” for my taste).

Neither one are gonna be theft resistant – at all. But, being they are cheap, I won’t cry about it too much if it falls off or gets stolen. I’ll probably use one of them for my mountain bike (although there are much brighter cheapy lighting systems out there).

I also added a cheapy wind deflector not too long ago, also from Aliexpress:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mot...32795192181.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.bVeCV7

4 allen screws pinch mount it to the OEM windscreen and then one bolt/nut (like a bicycle quick release system) mounts the deflector to the mount. It’s a little bit adjustable diagonally forward down and back up and there’s a little room for change of tilt angle. My guess is that the deflectors with 2 mounting points are going to be “sturdier” – the middle of the OEM windscreen flexes more than the sides. That being said, I’ve taken it up to about 100mph and so far so good, no flexing/bouncing problems, no change in tilt or orientation. I think it also works pretty good, the “protected air pocket” is now higher up and larger than before – I’m just a tad under 5’11” on a good day and there’s less buffeting now around my helmet/upper body during regular freeway cruising.

3. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
  4. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    Hmmm not sure what happened with Tinypic... Tried to attach the missing pics in the next post but they came out small...

5. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    Samuel, I know this is not relevant to your latest post, but could you speak a bit about the brake lever guard? I was walking the pit at the races the other day, and noticed similar devices on all the motorcycles.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

6. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    Hi MS,

According to some of the other VFR owners, Red is inherently faster than White - so, I've been trying to make up that deficit with stickers and stuff. :)

Re: lever guards, back in 2006, Catalunya https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOwNOT-BlG8

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/sport...711-brake-protectors-now-mandatory-in-motogp/

I "occasionally" do a little lane splitting and I put one on the front brake side just in case... if my OCD becomes too much, I might go back and buy one for the clutch side, just so everything is symmetrical... haha

For some reason, I can't find any record/links for the purchases of my folding levers or lever guard but if you google search or search ebay you can find a bunch of options for replacement levers (I personally like the folding, non-adjustable ones) and lever guards. I put the stock levers under the seat with my tools/emergency kit.

7. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    The other day I replaced a passenger peg I boogered up
    Today I went and got a new to me tool chest (a retired ER crash cart) and organized my tolls for the first time ever

That counts, right?

8. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    Count it! :)

9. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    VF500F
    So far I have changed the fork oil to MOTUL 10W semi, and lubricated the speedometer cable.

Edit: Also I polished the LF caliper bushing, which I have been suspecting is producing a bit of hop under hard braking. Might take it out for a little road test if the showers hold off.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  10. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Spent some quality time with my '01...It's alive!

[video=youtube_share;tLzh77dQPVY]http://youtu.be/tLzh77dQPVY[/video]

11. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    I took mine out for a short 160mile ride to Evanston Wy. from Salt Lake on I-80. Thought that it was a good little ride and with the benefit of donating to the Wyoming school system by buying some lotto tickets. Its my "For Sure" retirement plan!;-) I did pass another VFR1200 rider down the canyon and did a few back and forths looking at his bike. I do like the 1200 a lot.

Got back in and on the way went to the local market to buy some beer to relax! On the way out I met a really cool middle aged VET in the parking lot riding a 2012 GSXR 500. After a few mins of convo about our bikes, insurance etc. he told me that his wife is going to finally let him have a 1000 this next month. I was thinking in my mind when he told me about the wife decision and being a a vet. (What, Being shot at is much more dangerous that a 1000cc bike!), but he is home so I guess she has MORE than the right to be wary of anymore dangerous adventures or hobbies! I told him to have a good Memorial Day and thanked him for his service. Nice Guy. Parked the bike and am now ready to clean her up with the bug splatters! Cheers and have a good Memorial Day tomorrow all!
    FullSizeRender.jpg

12. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    OOTV, Good to hear her run!

Attached Files:

13. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Went for a short ride yesterday until I heard a intermittent clanking sound coming from the back of the bike somewhere. When I stopped to see what it was, I could see anything wrong and all the bolts for the suspension, chain and center and side stand were tight, so I headed back home. Once home, I was staring at the bike when a friend showed up, and he mentioned that the side cases seemed to be sitting funny. The right side appeared to be sloping in more at the back. When he looked in behind the wheel he said, "No worries, just looks like a bolt came loose on your Wingrack."

Well, it wasn't the bolt. After closer examination it appears that one of the main mounting tabs for the Wingrack fitting tubes had fractured and had broken right off. Thankfully my new neighbor across the street happens to be a welder by trade and after about 45 minutes work, we had the threads cleaned up on the bolt hole, the mounting tab welded back on and it all put back together.

To return the favor, I was able to polish the tree branch scratches he had acquired after a trip down some rather narrow back roads on his new Africa Twin. You meet the nicest people on a Honda. LOL

14. clarkm8

clarkm8 New Member

Done changing the oil and replacing the mirrors.

15. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    I installed a Stebel Nautilus under the right front fairing shortly after I bought the bike a few years ago.

Decided it wasn't enough and tossed one of THESE under the left side fairing today.

with both firing, sounds like something between a box truck and a train :lol:

16. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Unloaded it... DSCF1078.jpg whew.. what an adventure.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  17. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Well, I am considering stripping the aftermarket parts from the VFR (CZ wheels, Ohlins shock, Power Commander and custom map and Leo Vince carbon exhaust, and custom saddle) and selling everything - including the motorcycle, which won't be stock even with all that.

When it was stolen I bought a BMW RS1200RS to replace it. Both motorcycles are designed for the same task. I just don't know when I would decide to take the VFRR on a trip instead of the BMW. Not often enough.

I never would have considered this had not those scumbag thieves STOLEN my VFR.

19. Solarninja

Solarninja New Member

United States
    Map
    I sold mine for a bmw s1000rr

I dont regret it. Sorry to hear yours was jacked but i think you upgraded nicely

20. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map