what did you do to your vfr today?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by f3racer, Aug 10, 2014.

1. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Spooned on some new Bridgestone S21s. Trying them out as they were only $150 (after rebate). Hoping they feel as confidence inspiring as the PP3s that are replacing. Also added a more permanent and low profile USB plug up front. Had a temporary setup but the new one is cleaner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  2. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

New tire day is super fun!!
    Do you mind sharing what USB plug you used? Maybe a photo? Mine is very temporary, but looking to hard wire one in when I get a Fuze block.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

3. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Lubed my chain after riding in the rain all afternoon for fun.

4. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    Today is New Tyre Day! Getting some Metzeler Roadtec 01's mounted to replace the Z8s that were on there. Looking forward to riding on some fresh round profiles vs the triangles that were on there.

5. A.M

This little Heathen "went" to church.

A beautiful evening in Kansas.
    The sun set before I found sunflowers.

Another ride another day.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

6. 3.0charlie

3.0charlie New Member

Map
    I'll tag along since I'm very interested in this USB block. Been searching everywhere for such a model: twin ports, weather-sealed.

7. Graydd

Graydd New Member

I am trying out a new set of Metzeler's as well Sportec M5 Interacts. So far so good, seem very sticky. Will know more when I get to Arkansas.

8. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    Take Me To Church Cover by Morgan James

[video]https://youtu.be/9C0xGB73Uuc[/video]

9. OOTV

OOTV Insider

As you can see by the photos, the USB block is meant to be placed into a cutout, which I made with a razor knife and a file. Since the 5 Gen has that big front cowl top cover, I just cut out a hole in it instead of the main fairing. I also have one I plan on putting on my 6 Gen but haven't quite figured where I'm going to put it just yet.

I too am planning on getting a power controller, probably the same one I have on my 5 Gen (PDM60) and once I do I'll probably do something similar or just use some work industrial Velcro and stick it to the side of the inner fairing space. I'd also seal up the wiring with silicone to prevent moisture from getting to the wiring connections.

I picked these up at a local electronics store near my house for ~$19 a piece. A little pricey compared to what you can find on eBay I'm sure but if I had any issues with these, return or help is right around the corner.

10. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    New tires are just full of hope and endless possibilities.

I have been installing tires on my TS125 project and it's XL185 companion bike. it is amazing how easy it is after the big, stiff sidewall, street tires.

11. A.M

OOTV...thanks for the photos. That space on the 5th gen is handy.

I'm not sure where on the 6th gen would be a good spot for it except there by cutting into fairing.
    Maybe cut into the black plastic under the instrument panel, but then there'd be cord running between the handlebar.
    One thing I'm sure of is that I LOVE those white wheels.

Big_Jim, that's an awesome cover...she has an incredible voice that reminds me of singers Trans Siberian Orchestra brings on their tours. Pretty incredible talent.

12. 01ragtop

01ragtop Member

United States
    Map
    You're going to love them. I made the switch from PP3 as well, and while I still think the Michelin is a great tire, the Stones are awesome.

13. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    This is the one I use.... no cutting needed ...

http://www.gpscity.ca/ram-mount-gds...charger-with-female-usb-type-a-connector.html

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

14. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Well if you wait a couple of weeks, I'll probably have my 6 gen done and show you what I end up doing.

15. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Technically I didn't have to cut out and insert it, it just felt better to do it on the 5 Gen. I have access to some good industrial Velcro and this can be attached to the side of the unit. If I read it correctly, AM is looking for a Dual port unit. I have another one I bought as well and it has a dual port and can attach externally as well. This is the one I had on temporarily. I'll see if I can post o pic of this unit, maybe a link to where I bought. If I recall it was on eBay and came from China.

16. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I'm not doubting their "sport performance", it's their longevity I'm hoping will be the same as the PP3s. I have been getting between 5-6k miles with the PP3s. Turn in with them has been very predictable and very confidence inspiring, this I don't feel will change, I'm sure.

17. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Here is the one I had and removed. The bottom pics show where I mounted it using a piece of aluminum bar I bent in a 'U' shape and bolted it at the front gas tank mounts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So here is a link to one on eBay and it shows the mount attached to a handle bar.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...ash=item2a5ce1cccc:g:fMMAAOSwg3FUfqtR&vxp=mtr

[​IMG]

18. 01ragtop

01ragtop Member

United States
    Map
    Wow, 5-6k on PP3 is damn good. I got 2800 out of mine on the VFR, though I did get better mileage out of them on my zx7r. I have a little over 1k on my S21s at the moment, and the logo in the tread is still visible. I know I've got more than a few pounds on you, so hopefully you'll get the mileage your looking for. I'd be happy with 3500 with my set up.

19. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Forgive me for being somewhat old and slow on the way you all describe tire replacements. I know of Michelin Pilots and last one I used was a 2, Dunlops, that I hated due to cupping on the 2003 Sv1000s, and as such do not remember the model. I also know of the other brands such as Pirelli etc. that I am hesitant since I have always loved Michelins on the bikes that I have owned. So for a old out of the loop for 4 yrs please let me know the full decription of the tires you are using. Manufacture, Model and rating. I know they vary on bike weight, riding style and Rating. I think that all of us are looking for longevity and soft sport edges for aggressive riding. Thanks for anyone that is willing to let me know on the 2014 a better replacement since I just hit 2300 miles on the Oems.

20. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    That right there is the trick and what one considers good enough to cover both areas. I prefer the stick over longevity. That's just me. I'm seeing right around 9-10k miles on the rear with the front going further, but prefer to change them both The Pirelle Diablo Rossa 2s, the newest from the Corsa line up. IMO are a great blend. I too was a michel man, then bridge, but these over the last 10+ years haven't even come close to failing me, then add I like the tread design.