Weekend trip to Reno

Discussion in 'USA - West' started by Lgn001, Feb 12, 2008.

1. speed

speed New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey thanks, i will keep it in mind, i am going to try and make reg's Central Coast BBQ/Ride 1st (annual?) , so if i can figure out what makes my hands go numb after 45 mins of riding i might go to more get togethers ?

2. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the invite. Work until 8 AM fri then have to work at noon sat. Such is life. Maybe next time.

3. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    OK, I am now a true believer in the highway virtues of the VFR. Other than one longer than normal gas stop on the way up to Reno, I spent the entire time (between four and five hours each way) in the seat at an average speed of about 70-75 MPH, with an occasional cruise at 85-90 for a few miles. My conclusions are:

1. The MRA adjustable screen is nice to have. The airflow is still lower than I would like it to be, but it is very smooth. I had zero turbulence or buffeting, but the weather was uncommonly fair.

2. The stock suspension is not terribly bad. For what the MSRP is, it should be better or at least adjustable, but it’s not too bad. I’ll replace the rear shock right about the same time that the fork service will be due, as I plan to replace the springs and the valves with RaceTech components. BTW, anybody used the RaceTech components on a sixth gen?

3. The stock seat works OK for me, up to five hours, anyway. Time will tell.

4. The worst thing about going down a few gears to pass somebody is that it is not easy to intentionally stop accelerating. In for a penny, in for a pound…

5. My soft luggage clears the stock exhaust enough to avoid melting or catching on fire. In the winter, anyway. Summer could be interesting, and it might influence my choice of aftermarket exhaust.

6. Now THIS was a major pain; the airflow around the bike and across the top of my thighs hits my Tourmaster Cortech jacket right by the back of my hips and raises it up, and manages to send a wonderful stream of cooling air up my back. Not fun at all in 28 degree weather at 70MPH… No matter how tight I cinched the waist straps, the problem persisted. This wasn’t a problem on the SV, as the sitting position and airflow are so different. Looks like the money I save on the seat will be spent on apparel.

As mentioned at the beginning of this string, the whole point of this trip was to find out if I had a longer-distance sporting bike that would work for me. It does.

And thanks again, drewl and Genlightening, for the condition updates. The weather was incredibly good for this time of year (28 - 40F), and the scenery was amazing. I made this ride a couple of years ago in early April under a full moon, and it was like being on another planet.

4. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    Nice little February excursion, I've took that route many of times on the bike and going to softball tournaments, love the fact that you took this trip in the middle of February because I ride in colder weather all the time and the only thing that that really bothers me is the face shield fogging up, defiantly wakes me up when I have to crack that face shield a bit to clear it up. Were going to need some pics on your next trip over the Sierras...

5. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    I tried to come up with a suitable place to take pictures from, but the only semi-appropriate places were the "Vista Points" that didn't do the ride justice. Looks like I better go again soon and try harder. The things I do for my fellow riders...

I use a Scott's "No Fog" wipe on the inside of my shield before every cold ride, and it works reasonably well.

6. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    I would have liked to come down and tour Reno with you, but duty called. Nice weekend up here too. Sunday,Rode around the mud puddle we call Honey Lake, out past a 2 house town called Wendell and towards a ghost town called Amadee. Nothing but foundations now...used to be a rail/trail stop in the 1800s. Was in a movie called The Road to Amadee with Col Potter from MASH. Rode 88 miles all together. Saw several other bikers and 125 on the speedo. Even the harley guys waved. Little chilly, but worth it.
    No pics here either...just the sound of the wind and the gear driven cams.