Wear Your Helmets!

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Riding a 2000, Feb 29, 2020.

1. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I guess one who may be allergic to bee and wasp stings needs to be very careful. I am lucky in that I don't have any allergies I am aware of but none the less, I don't want any bee stings under the helmet. I have gotten a bee or wasp in there a time or two but get pulled over right away and the helmet comes off really fast.

2. Riding a 2000

Riding a 2000 Member

United States
    Map

Scotch (a good single malt) is known to work as well as Benadryl, and is more fun/tasty! ;)

3. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    A good single malt is a real man's chicken soup.

Riding a 2000 likes this.
  4. Norse

Norse New Member

Denmark
    That, or a good Kentucky Straight Bourbon. My bar is basically only those 2 things.
    But for the proper chicken soup effect, here in the north, you need warm mead. If that doesn't cure whatever you have, you are definitely going to die.

As for helmets;
    When I rode only choppers, I would ride without a helmet on occasion. But given the fact that anything over 30mph is highly unpleasant without eye protection and even sunglasses do almost nothing, it was always just slow cruising on empty back roads.
    I knew the risk and accepted it.

Now, I never ride without a helmet. Not only is a VFR in no way suited to that kind of thing, you also look like a complete moron if you are on a faired bike without a helmet.

I still think helmet laws are absolutely retarded. Same with seatbelt laws. You are only endangering yourself, and that should never be any of the governments business. We don't need a damn nanny state determining every aspect of our lives. We all know the risks and as long ass our decisions only endanger our own arses, we should be free to do as we please.
    It's not Soviet Russia after all.

ATGATT, I could not care less about. The only gear I care about, is helmet, gloves and boots.
    I have been down several times. High speed and low. Been hit by cagers 3 times. So I know the risk better then most ever will.
    I have been lucky. My training and instinct have helped me handle the drops as well as one can (knowing how to fall can save your life). So far I have never had so much as a scratch on my helmet, but I have had boots and gloves torn apart. Saved the boots I wore the first time I got hit by a car. Got my foot pinned under the bike and the bike got dragged by the car. The ER doctor made it very clear that had I not worn quality boots, I would absolutely have lost the foot. As it were, I walked away with a sprained ankle, a few bruised ribs and nothing else.

Mostly I ride in jeans and a leather jacket (thick quality leather but with pads/armor removed). Sometimes kevlar jeans, sometimes not. I only wear full gear when riding long distance on motorways and that is mostly a comfort thing.

Hands, feet and head are fragile. Proper gear saves those. The rest mainly saves you from the discomfort of road rash.

5. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Well not to get all political, things like seat belt and helmet laws are there to protect those who can't make good decisions. If you get injured and incapacitated, the rest of us taxpayers pick up the tab....... but yes, normally I support freedom of choice. Many US states have repealed helmet laws in recent years... we'll see how that works out......

Riding a 2000 and 34468 Randy like this.
  6. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Also. The cost to the tax payer for the investigation of a fatal motor vehicle accident (Oh my gosh. I am sorry. They are called crashes now because the were not accidental) over an injury or much more so, a property damage collision, is probably about 5 fold higher if not more. And as mentioned above, here in Canada anyway, the tax payer pays for the care of s severely injured person, sometimes for the rest of their lives. I do have a say on helmet and seatbelt laws. And that say is handled through my government, until such time our Supreme Court of Canada strikes down a law. So far, in cases such as this, they have not.

7. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    It's OK. Don't wear a helmet.
    Decrease the surplus population. :cigar: