Washington DC Bike Show

Discussion in 'USA - Northeast' started by vfourbear, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Hotbrakes

Hotbrakes New Member

United States
    I have bags and a thick cable with lock. There would be enough room for our helmets and tank bags. I would think there would be special motorcycle parking too, and we won't be the only ones riding there.

2. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Matt,

There should be special MC parking at all of these shows....usually for FREE as long as you are on a bike. In regards to your gear....they have a "gear check" once you come in the door past ticketing usually.

3. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Did you know that they have invented this gadget called an automobile? It's basically two motorcycles in one with 4 wheels. The whole device is enclosed so it protects you from the elements and not only that has a lot of cargo room for your new leathers, helments, gear, etc.. that you buy at the show.

4. derstuka

Map

Pure blasphemy is what you are speaking! Be gone you devil! :pope2:

5. Titanium

Titanium New Member

Map

Well sounds like a plan or sorts. I'm assuming you can fit two helmets in your trunk and reverse one saddle bag for my tag bag. If so, I wouldn't mind meeting up and riding in. BTW, this will be my first adventure in downtown. As for a meeting place, I'll be heading down to 234 I guess to pick up 95N. Want to meet some where in that area? Gotta check with the wife to make sure she has nothing going on Saturday. I did tell her I wanted to go to the show but she has been slip'n lately. I'll pm you and let you know what my plans are.

6. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    Dang dude.............what'll they think of next?

A vehicle with a big flat place in the back so you can carry heavy shit ?

7. 00vfr

00vfr New Member

I'm caging it down there considering it going to be snowing when I leave,and considering last winter when I tried to ride in it I kinda booger'd it up.I'll be there Saturday if you guys need to lock your stuff in the car.

8. Hotbrakes

Hotbrakes New Member

United States
    Well, we all made it home. Titanium and I rode and returned home warm and dry thanks to our Frogg Toggs. It was fun riding 100 miles without being able to see. Somebody needs to invent windshield wipers for helmets. The finger squeegee just doesn't cut it sometimes. Pics to come.

All in attendance were VFourBear, Bitter Pill, VANTRCPTR, Titanium, and myself. Pics to come.

This will probably be the last time I go to the IMS in DC. It was my first time and I was very upset with the accessibility to the event. ABSOLUTELY NO PARKING!!!! Nothing special for riders, nowhere to check gear. I was ready to go home after circling city blocks for 45 minutes in grid lock. It was nice having lots of bikes to look at, but there wasn't much "new" stuff to see. Everything there is at your local dealer. Had this been in the summer I definitely would have been wasting a good day riding by going. It was a nice winter pick me up to see a bunch of bike stuff but the best part was just seeing friends and meeting people from the forum. Unless it's at a different venue next year, count me out.

9. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    +1 with HotBrakes review of the show. The show was smaller, Parking was severely limited, No equipment check for motorcyclists and booths other than bikes were just junk..... Sham Wow anyone.
    Best part of the day was meeting guys from the forum.

10. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    Yep, pretty much concur with the review of the show........if I werent here visiting already, I wouldnt have gone outta my way to see it.

It was really good to hook up with some forum guys, and BP, his wife, and I went over to Alexandria afterwards for some famous Schooners of Blue Moon and spicy peel and eat shrimp, mmmmmmmmmmmm.............yeah

Very interesting forums members we had in attendance, two rode in in some very shittay conditions.

Overall, the fine folks I met on this excursion made the trip, and I hope we get to ride together soon

It was a nice break from the winter doldrums

When I get back to L'ville, I'll post some pics

11. Titanium

Titanium New Member

Map
    Had a great time hanging out with everyone at the show. The show sucked on all accounts. This is why I probably hadn't been in the last three years. The ride up there and back was interesting. And like Hotbrakes said, the Frogg Toggs worked perfect! At first I thought I has cheaped out with that purchase but the few times I have been caught in the rain they have done their job perfectly. And with that added layer I was sweating on the way home! I do need to pick up some of those nifty boot covers. My toes ended up being a little damp. In the end, I'm glad I road up there adding something else scary to my resume. It was great hanging out with everyone and I can't wait for some warmer weather so we all can go out and ride together!

12. derstuka

Map
    Sorry to hear about the lack of MC parking and no "gear check" at the show guys. I was just assuming, and cannot believe that they would not offer any, even if on a lesser scale since this is the east coast in the middle of winter. Guess you learn the hard way sometimes. It would probably be like pissing into a windstorm, but maybe a "love" letter to the show organizers about their lack of MC parking, gear check, the show sucked donkey :ass:.....that fun stuff.

13. chris2711

chris2711 New Member

Map
    I also made it but forgot to bring Vfourbear's phone number. Showed up around 1430 with my step-son and two of his friends. I wasn't that impressed but the kids loved it. Gives them something to strive for.

I can't get over the amount of parents that let their 10yr olds climb all over the bikes like it was a jungle gym. I saw some kid doing a knee stand on the tank of a Ducati 1098S! I almost knocked him off myself.

The venders are so bad, I couldn't even find a tank bag to purchase.

The only good thing was getting to sit on a few bikes I wouldn't normaly see on a daily basis. Such as, KTM Supper Duke; Buell 1125CR; Triumph St TrippleR; Yamaha's new R1 (hated it); Ducati Monster 1100s; and last but not least, Mr Max!

Was it just me or did BMW, Aprilia, and Moto Guzzi not show up?

14. Titanium

Titanium New Member

Map
    Not just you. They didn't have an offering at the show. I was hoping to sit on a couple of Aprilia's but no chance!

The vendors were crap. Coleman's had the biggest supply there and it was worthless. I was looking forward to seeing some pants there and Hotbrakes wanted to see if there were any gloves to be had. No luck on either front. Coleman's had a trunk of misc gloves that look more like a donation bin. And there wasn't one single deal there. A Teknic jacket that was "on sale" there for $200 could be had online shipped to the house for $100.

I have the same problem with the autoshow. Nothing that you can't see if you just went to your local dealer. And far less people at the dealers!!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  15. i_needit

i_needit New Member

Glad I didn't waist the time going. I went last year and I wasn't overly impressed.

16. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    new vfr

I can only imagine the fun if I'd gone in search of the 1000cc V-4 at the show.