VTEC vs Non VTEC

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Qwerty111, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Honda typically revamps the VFR on a 4 year cycle.

'86-'89 RC24
    '90-'93 RC36
    '94-'97 RC36 II
    '98-'01 RC46
    '02-'05 RC46 II

See a pattern here?

So don't hold your breath for a V-5 VFR. Doubtful until 2006 at best.

BTW, lemme know when you ever see one, cuz I wants one too!

2. tbtapper

tbtapper New Member

I have an 03 nonABS. I have ridden a 1999 VFR with a pipe and filter as a comparison.

I think the V-Tec does have more low to midrange torque. My 03 is NOT happy below 3k rpm but why would you be below that anyway??

I have not really tried to limiter bump my bike for max performance but the transition on my bike is smooth power wise but thesound really changes.

I am a very experienced but older rider. Why would someone buy a VFR and start comparing it with a pure sport bike?? The focus is much different.

I would be happy to take my bike to a track day and there would be VERY few riders that would be faster than me BUT if all I wanted to do was go fast at the track I would be on a GXR.

The VFR is about very fast, reasonably comfartable sport riding and touring. It's a compromise and has always been and is FAMOUS for it.

I've "sport toured" on a TLR, it's torture after a short period of time. I'm guessing the same with an RC51, GXR or some of the new 600's that have incredible power but have to constantly spin at 10k plus RPMs to make the power. Not really "relaxing" sport touring.

As for the V-tec I think one of the on-line mags did a or published the torque comparison of non vs V-tec and there was a nice big "hump" on the V-tec where the non had a big dip.

VFR's have 90% of the performance and 100% better ergos and comfort compared to the race replicas. That's why people buy them.

If you don't want or can't give up the 10% for the 100% then the choice is clear.

Just my opinion.

tbtapper

3. Guest

Guest Guest

[quote author=Qwerty111 link=board=2002-2003;num=1045340932;start=0#8 date=02/04/03 at 21:01:12]Glad to have BigBiker100's  comments.  

I just heard that a 5 cyclinder VFR may be offered in 04.  

FYI:  Last Saturday Sun Honda (www.Sun-Honda.com, 303-287-7566) had an ad in the Denver Post for a  brand new 2002 VFR for $8,300. :)

Since then they lowered the price to $6795. Fantastic bike!
    :D

4. tbtapper

tbtapper New Member

I am constantly amazed that people try to make the VFR something it's not meant to be.
    I rode a 2000 VFR for a whole day before I bought an 03. I honestly can't feel much difference in acceleration between the two bikes. On my bike the VTEC transition is undetectable from a power perspective (good thing) and how I ride it it pulls nicely from about 4K RPM.
    It's not a brute (It's ONLY 780cc) Most of the bikes folks insist on comparing it to are 1000cc.
    The handling is ABSOLUTELY solid on my 03. MUCH different (better to me) than the 2000 model I rode.
    The VFR is a UNIQUE vehicle THAT'S why I bought it. It sounds marvelous totally different that the thousands of inline fours out there. (I think that's a good thing)
    It's PURPOSELY got a little softer edge than a ZX, GSXR, 954 etc.
    Look at it this way. The automotive equivalent of the VFR is an Acura NSX. It's not the fastest, not the best handling, not the most powerful (ONLY?? a V6) but arguably the most useable of the ultra cars.
    Can you use a VFR for a track day?? You bet I shure could and there would be few folks faster than me. BUT, could I go faster on a 600 or a liter racerep bike?? You bet. Could a rider of equivalent skill thump me with a 600? you bet. Do I care ?? Not in the least. The VFR is a gorgeous, technological display by Honda of a responsible, ecologically clean vehicle that has enormous performance few riders (myself definitely included) can fully exploit. I can really ride (two class championships at WSMC several AMA firsts and seconds). But I don't do that on the road Where a VFR is SUPPOSE to function. Stop trying to make this beautiful bike a 130hp, 400lb racereplica. IT"S A VERY SPORTY TOURER.

tbtapper

5. Overkill

Overkill New Member

Throwin' my $.02 in late in the year.

I'm planning on buying an '04 VFR VTEC ABS next month when they hit the dealership, unless we blow all the money on Christmas and I have to wait until January ::)

Anyway, I've been trying to research everything to the Nth degree and here's what I know about two of the issues raised:

ABS vs. non-ABS -- I checked with editors at Road Bike and Motorcycle Cruiser (I used to really want a Magna) and they said absolutely get the ABS. If you can afford it, then you should afford it. Nobody seems to have a doubt that Honda did an exceptional job on both LBS and ABS on the VFR.

16k Service Cost -- I'd heard several people mention getting put over a barrel for the scheduled maintenance so I got the sevice manager at my local Honda shop to photocopy the maintenance schedule out of a VFR VTEC manual and go through prices with me. It is pretty steep. The figure he gave me was $371+parts+tax(9.25% here in Knoxville) for a total of about $450. The 8k service is about half that.

Tom

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I have a 2002 vfr with vtec. Has anyone tried disabling the system, so that it runs with 4 valves per cylinder at all RPM's ?? I used to race in WERA for 7 years, and in my opinion, the switch from 2 to 4 valves at 7000 rpm does not help making smooth corners.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I have a 02 VFR and for a first bike I like it a lot, Vtec included =)

the engine is very smooth bellow 7k rpm but it goes wild over that limit, and it's great the have the choice.
    Staying bellow 7K rpm really improve fuel consumption, and that's the main purpose of a V-tec system IMO.
    I've been riding with other non-vtec VFR and sure they can leave me in the dust, but speed limits just come faster on the dial.

great bike, great engine!

8. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Just bought a 2004 Viffer after owning a 3 bikes over the last 3 years a VTR1000, ZX12R , and a Blackbird which i traded to get my viffer.

I find the V-tec to be ok. I have read various magazines that say that V-tec is crap, but I am quiet happy with everything about my bike including the V-tech feature.

5000rpms equates to around 120klms hr which is just over normal legal speed for most roads here in Aus.
    It is only when high revs are used does the V-Tech cut in.
    I have found it to be predictable and exilarating when that "roar" happens and the power surges. It brings back memories of my 2 stroke days.

Above all, I am totally wrapped in the styling and power characteristics of the V-Tech Viffers and would highly recommend one to anyone.