Voltmeter in mirror...

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by btl68, Oct 24, 2015.

1. btl68

btl68 New Member

Because I can't resist being stupid, I bought my second VFR, this time a dreaded VTEC 6th-gen. My last VFR was a beautiful 93 which I put 25k on in 2 years. What a bike.

Anyhow, the friend I bought the VFR off of mentioned something about sticking a voltmeter behind the glass of a mirror, scrapping off the mirror reflective stuff in a corner and installing it inside, so it's visible behind the glass. Can anyone point me in the right direction with that mod? Sounds cool, but it'd be helpful to find a thread on it for pointers.

I haven't read the forum for a few years and I really hope I can sort this 2004, 17k unit out for long travel trips, as I do 20k + a year and I don't like breakdowns! Jumping back in and just reading this week, you'd think the VTEC bikes are huge headaches to keep running, even beyond the R&R/stator problems.

Anyhow, any help on this mirror/voltmeter thing would be cool.

2. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Wouldn't waste my time. Seen a few on the steering head bolt where the black plastic cover is.

3. NormK

NormK New Member

Plenty of places to mount a voltmeter on a VFR, and I understand the cool idea but I like to keep mirrors for watching what people following me are up to, they are a bigger worry than what your charging is doing

4. Cyborg

Cyborg New Member

United States
    I fitted mine with a Signal Dynamics unit, with the indicator in the right side display (red LED)...

VM LED.jpg

5. SA1713

SA1713 New Member

United States
    Like this?

Attached Files:

6. btl68

btl68 New Member

That's probably what my friend was talking about. Thank you!!!

Any chance there's a thread on that install? I see it's on an older condom-stalked mirror, so it'd be super easy on one of those to hide the wires.

Doesn't take much room at all on a mirror, as that's where I see shoulder anyhow.