VFR800 vs CBR1000RR

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by rufussrgnt, Nov 17, 2009.

1. rufussrgnt

rufussrgnt New Member

Map
    I picked up my NEW 2008 VFR800 from Southern Powersports in Chattanooga yesterday. I haven't ridden it yet, but plan to rectify that today.

Thanks for all of your advice in making the choice between the CBR and the VFR.

Only hitch so far: no owners manual.

Does it use regular or high test?

2. skivfr1

skivfr1 New Member

I have to agree! Not as much work in the twisties with my CBR. By the way, the CBR's soul doesn't really come out until 6k RPM. Then hang on and enjoy the ultimate adrenelin rush!

3. grayflare

grayflare New Member

86 octane or better. Regular will serve you fine. I tried 92 octane once in mine and could not tell the difference.

4. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    make sure to get the chain adjusting tool.
    solo seat cover.
    and also the passenger grab handle inserts...

5. rufussrgnt

rufussrgnt New Member

Map
    I've got the chain adjusting tool. I wouldn't have known what it was if you hadn't told me. The salesman has promised to send me the manual and the grab handle inserts. I do have the solo seat cover.

6. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    A fascinating discussion so far. I also have experience on both sides. My 07 VFR was a great bike...it does lots of things reasonably well and some things extremely well. For many folks it IS the perfect bike. But I did move towards the sporty side with a Daytona 675 and a 2007 ZX-10R. Liter bikes are overkill but that does not mean they are "useless." A good liter bike is controllable power. The CBR is controllable. I can kill myself with 5 hp almost as easily as 160. I can kill myself on my bicycle. No bike is "safe." As several point out, only you know what bike is right for you at any given point in your life. Enjoy the process! Enjoy the ride!

7. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
  8. VFRBenny

VFRBenny New Member

Map
    :crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

Ignorant kids, there's no shortage these's days.

9. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    and break in for the 6th gen is a short 300 miles. Keep it under 62MPH in top gear, whatever the RPM is there. I didn't know when I got mine either because I didn't have the owners manual either. I slowly increased the RPM by 500 until I hit the 1000 mile mark, then it was on. The VTEC - first time you kick it in sounds weird. It gets quieter as it gets mroe broke in.

10. ilovheros

ilovheros New Member

Map
    I have had the pleasure of owning many wonderful bikes...( no order here)...94 Honda Magna V4-750, Honda Valkrie flat6, 96 CBR1000R,CBR 600f2, ,Yam-FZR1000R, VTR1000 Superhawk, Yam-Yzf600R, 94 HondaVFR750, 03 Honda 919, and now an 07 VFR800. All are/were, good/great bikes in their own rights. My fav's have been the VFR750, 919, but the best in mho, for "me" is the one I own now. IT JUST DOES EVERYTHING WELL ! (The most FRANTIC bike I ever owned and scared the poo out of me was the YZF1000R, Never could get "THAT THING" out of third gear!)

11. brian9650

brian9650 New Member

VFR or CBR

I just went through the same dilemma, which to buy? I first rode a CBR1000RR and after 40 minutes I was very uncomfortable with the ergonomics. It is built for the track and is legal on the street.

I also checked insurance and the CBR was 4~5 times more expensive for insurance than the VFR, and I am 47 years old.

I ended up buying the 2007 VFR with the matching hard saddlebags and have not been happier!

Still your choice.......to each his own.

12. VFRBenny

VFRBenny New Member

Map
    WOW! that would be close to $3000. per year! You could buy a 5th gen every year for that!:biggrin:

13. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    whats your driving record like?