Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Diving Pete, Apr 12, 2019.
Diving Pete, what type of paint/procedure did you use on the engine components? It's looking great.
Basically, clean, clean, clean,
Start with a normal car wash & clean it - this will remove 50%.
I used sandpaper to take off any obvious marks / rust and also to help act as a key. The paint is Hammerite Satin black or Hammerite Smooth Silver.
If it fits in my heated ultrasonic it get a couple of treatments - using ultrasonic cleaner.
For the chrome stuff, clean using thinnners, also clean by rubbing with tin foil - makes a bigger difference than you may think..
For general cleaning I use various type brushes, toothbrushes, picks, & lots of micro fibre rags.
For bolts, they also go in a hand drill & get spun using Autosol Solvol Chrome Polish / Cleaner as the cleaner / polish into a microfibre rag - don't have a bench polisher...
You will use lots of masking tape & thinners - just be VERY careful around rubber components - motorbikes are generally oily - lol.
I also put brushes into a drill to clean areas that are harder to work on.. - you still need to add a cleaner / polish but does save time.
1 of my old race engineers used to say to me - if it moves then oil it, if its still then paint it..
Thank you for the thoughtful answer Diving Pete. I'm always interested in learning how other people handle some of these jobs because I often find that working smarter, not harder, would save me a lot of time and frustration.
I took your suggestion in another thread and purchased an ultrasonic cleaner from Amazon--got it in my car now. We'll see if it works. I actually work for a company that sells industrial ultrasonic cleaners, and the prices on those are a lot more than the motorcycles I ride, so I never considered that cheaper consumer-level ones might exist. The good news is that I'll have a lot of different degreasers I can try out.
Anyway, really looking forward to following this thread and seeing how you progress on the bike. I saw a VFR400 in person for the first time at Road America last year and just fell in love with it.
Simple Green (citrus cleaner), Dawn dishwashing soap and some water.... works wonders when the ultrasonic heats it up to 150F or so.. Another thing you can do with say fasteners, is soak them overnight in PineSol.
Well just to show a little more progress...
New chain, sprockets & bearings.. from Rick Oliver
IMG_2156 by Pete Smith, on Flickr
Stator wires - I'm sure at one point they may have been in better condition = shouldn't really be surprised... lol
IMG_2160 by Pete Smith, on Flickr
Took back the wire & replaced the connector
IMG_2164 by Pete Smith, on Flickr
Forgot to mention I managed to get a almost brand new Nitron rear shock..
IMG_2166 by Pete Smith, on Flickr
Newly powder coated wheels - just removed the 32 year old bearings (in pretty good condition ! ) & now replaced with the same - Japanese Koyo OEM bearings..
IMG_2167 by Pete Smith, on Flickr
Next job is to get the discs clean & back on..
More work completed..
Undertray on, electrics routed & connected, subframe in position
IMG_2178 by Pete Smith, on Flickr
Lights & ECU
IMG_2177 by Pete Smith, on Flickr
IMG_2176 by Pete Smith, on Flickr
Next jobs are the exhaust & rear brake (thats going to be bad - lol)
Lookin' good, Mr. Pete! Making some really nice progress.
Very nice indeed....!!!
Separate names with a comma.