VFR1200F final drive issue.

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Kirk T, Mar 19, 2022.

1. Kirk T

Kirk T New Member

United States
    Map
    I've experienced a troubling issue with my VFR1200F starting back in November and was curious if anyone else might have had this issue. I had the drive shaft recall done when I bought the bike about five years ago with about 26,000 mi on it. This started approximately four and a half years and 46,000 miles later, when I'm accelerating from 80 mph to just over 100 mph, I feel a slip in the final drive. Feels like it slips one tooth somewhere (just one) and it's a solid jolt. Seems to do it just the once in a days ride (200 to 250 mi, 266 today) and I can't seem to make it repeat it to the next ride. I've had several different shaft drive bikes from different brand and have never experienced this before even when the bikes have in excess of 100,000 miles. Slop yes, a slip no. Anyone else have this issue with this bike. Any help and input would be appreciated.

2. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    No experience with the 1200's drive shaft, only pointing you in a possibility...... the driveshaft has a damper portion, may be slipping under high load. Here is a pic from and old Honda model where you could buy replacement parts....... items 2 & 3. Do not know if you can disassemble your driveshaft to inspect.......

Honda Driveshaft Damper.JPG

3. Kirk T

Kirk T New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks, I'll look into this. Have the shop manual and with enough time and pure rage, I think I can disassemble the shaft to inspect it.