VFR Top Speed is ????

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Wu-Viffer, Jan 12, 2007.

1. hightowermusic

hightowermusic New Member

my son said he had my 2006 VFR800 up to 130 mph. He said he could have went faster, but figured that was enough for his first time at that speed on my bike.

2. Dadofseven

Dadofseven New Member

Map
    7th GEN is ECU limited at 157 MPH in 6th (been there). Don Guhl has a reflash if you want to check it out, after that a few 7th GEN have seen indicated close to 180...given size and HP/TQ 180ish seems very attainable...

3. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    700, idk didn't look after 110, went past that and she still had more to go. RD350, pegged at 120. My 135 lb brother got it up to 135 being clocked by a KZ900.

The 800? Haven't had the chance to air it out yet.

4. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    No way. Not even close. Not even if you throw a shit ton of money at it.

5. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    You sure about that? The vfr1200 responds to modifications very well. With just a slip on, decat, air filter and tune, they put out 160 wheel HP. With proper gearing and the speed limiter removed, that is definitely enough horse power to hit 180 mph.

6. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    On a side note, I know Guhl was claiming to have the speed limiter removed, but I heard it was unsuccessful. Do you have a link to someone successfully removing the top speed limiter?

7. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    With the weight, aerodynamics, and only 160 rwhp I would be willing to bet it would not even hit a true 170mph.

8. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    My home track has a back straight over 6/10 of a mile. If you get a good drive out of the corner leading up to it I hit a consistent 179 to 181 at the first brake marker. My track bike has 156 rwhp with a giant fat torque/ hp curve. Weighing in at 420 lbs wet. Take 10% off for error it's going about 163 and winding out 6th gear. I'm sure it could hit the rev limiter at about an indicated 186 with a bit more track. Just a shot in the wind I would guess the VFR would need well over 200 hp to hit a true 180. And a big set of balls with a good steering damper.

9. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    There are some significant differences in dynamometers that should be cranked into the equation. Those "shootout dynos" that print oot HP/torque curves at bike meets for ten bucks a pop are, as old Will Shakespeare almost said, full of sound and fury and signifying not a heck of a lot. They are good for checking oot that on some bikes the rev limiter is working.

10. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Well shit! There goes my mach 1 story oot the window.

11. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
  12. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    With almost 140 whp, the Honda black bird could hit 180 mph. Weight doesn't play into top speed as much as it does acceleration, but at 563 pounds wet, the black bird is only about 40 pounds lighter than the vfr1200.

Aerodynamics play a big role in top speed. The black bird is very aerodynamic, but with an inline four engine width vs the vfr1200's vfour engine (front two cylinders inside the rear two cylinders) I am pretty sure the VFR is a very aerodynamic bike too.

With a modded vfr1200 putting out 160 whp, 20 whp more than the blackbird that hit 180mph, I am sure the vfr1200 could reach a similar top speed.

13. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

Naughty naughty, Dynojet dynos like all others do NOT have a speedometer, they have a very accurate rev counter, which monitors the steel drum/roller your back wheel is attached to. Then computer software calculates the speed based on the revs of that known fixed diameter thus fixed circumference drum/roller. Thus unlike the claim by SammichTheStout they are very accurate, unlike your bikes onboard speedo.

Normal speedo's read high for legal reasons because the manufacturer has to ensure that you do NOT trip a true speed measuring device, such as radar etc as used by the feds. They also have no control over the tyres you fit & thus have to allow for tyre wear. So its reads high on a new tire & reads even higher on a worn tyre, due to reduced diameter.

I have a speedo healer & a dyno run last week showed a max speed at max revs of 130mph in 4th gear. My speedo healers top speed recall function showed 133mph, so pretty close, as this was a worn out tyre I replaced the next day.

The main difference between real life & a dyno, is there is NO air resistance on a dyno, so if you did a top gear run & got the true top speed for current gearing at max rpm, you would never achieve that on the road, as air resistance saps power & more so the faster you go. My 250 is not much smaller than the VFR, but manages a true 95mph from 27whp. But 54hp i.e. double will only get you around 125mph !

YMMV

14. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Until I see it I don't believe it. It starts taking exponential amounts of HP to get very small gains in speed at the speeds we are talking about. The VFR is not nearly as aerodynamic. It's made to make a fairly decent and comfortable bubble for the rider. I have a few speed freak friends that run Busa's and ZX 14's playing in the 200 mph club that know shit tons more about this than I do. I'll see what there take is and let you know.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  15. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Dah, "Busa" duz it wit aerodynamicz, spelled in my best "ghetto-ease." :wink: love the first gen busas btw. Cheers

16. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Well the vfr1200 isn't geared for over 180, but enough power, pull the mirrors, passenger pegs and lower it a tad, derestricted the ecu and I think about 180 is attainable.

17. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    First off that 97 weight is DRY weight. They all weigh within 20lbs of each other. What a dyno doesn't show is that the 99 and up have a functional ram air that starts working about 120mph and adds about 4hp to the top end. If you put a 18t front sprocket on a FI bike it will reach top end in the 190's. This has been proven and recorded. Stock FI bird is 133-137hp at the wheel. With PCIII I've seen up to 145ish. A good setup carb bird is the same.

With all these VFR high speeds I have to ask what gearing and how much speedo error. On the bird with stock 17t front it's about 8%. With a 18t it's a tad over 2%. With a 16t front it really looks fast.

18. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
  19. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    First off
    [​IMG]

20. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Actually I'm talking about the VFR 800 that most have posted here. The VFR1200 has a lot of power once it gets reflashed. I'm not arguing with concerns to the 1200. I believe the factory states a 800 top speed of about 145mph.

To really find out you all shold come to the Ohio mile ETCA Top speed events in Wilmington Ohio.

[h=1]June 6-7 – One Mile Event
    July 11-12 — NEW!!! HALF MILE EVENT
    [/h] [h=1]Sept 26-27 — Street Bike Challenge (cars welcome) [/h]
    This would settle it. Have a few VFR 750's and 800's to represent the brand. Bring the 1200 too. I'd like to see those run. I'll meet anybody down there in Sept, can't make the June one.