VFR Top Speed is ????

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Wu-Viffer, Jan 12, 2007.

1. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    yep i deffinately feel you there. but, dont be too envious of everyone else... the 7 mile bridge is about an hour from where im at and i only make it up there every few months...
    thats only only place i feel comfortable opening her up and only when there is zero traffic...
    doesnt happen very often.:frown:

2. RedVFR

RedVFR New Member

Map
    159mph indicated on the front stretch of our local track doing a track day last summer. I'm not sure what that would work out to with the speedo error but it was quite a rush. :thumbsup:

3. Derek Ashley

Derek Ashley New Member

I should be hitting the approach to the Sunshine Skyway Bridge tomorrow morning at about 9:30. At 10.9 miles long and going 150 (yeah, right), I should be getting off the other end at 9:34 and 20 seconds. :flame:

BTW, this is for all the Florida peeps: Last year Gov. Crist signed legislation that makes automatic arrest mandatory for anyone exceeding the speed limit by 30 miles per hour. The motor vehicle will be impounded and is subject to forfeiture. So PLEASE be aware on Florida's roads. :eek:

I'm just really going to cruise over the bridge and take in the sights of the Bay and the Gulf (well, I might crack her open a bit...)

Be safe and watch for the grannies in the Caddies! :vtr2:

4. klee27x

klee27x New Member

United States
    Envious of open straights? I'd trade ya. It's all flat here in eastern NC (western state has got the mountains and "the dragon") and it's fairly boring and highly illegal to go 120+ in a straight line. The greatest roads I've been on, I couldn't even reach 60mph if I tried and never needed higher than third gear.

The only downside to hilly areas is the extra wrist strain going downhill, but it's worth it.

*Edit: on second thought, when I moved out of Illinois, I had dreams of 120mph 4-lane sweepers for weeks... riding my bike standing up like a push scooter with the wind holding me up. Man, the cops in Illinois only work on the last day of the month, I swear. :)

5. Mainerider

Mainerider New Member

Map
    I'm envious only in the context of high-speed blasts. We have a lot of beautiful roads in Maine; you just spend a lot of your time scanning the sides of them, especially early morn/late eve...a woman I work with has a son who races in the Loudon series in NH; never crashed badly in a race but got hurt pretty badly last summer riding one of our scenic Maine roads around dusk- the first deer went past safely but the second drilled him-3 days in hospital and a long stretch of pain...

6. VonZipper748

VonZipper748 New Member

I did 135 mph on my 99 vfr 5th gen had more to go but got some bar shake

7. Derek Ashley

Derek Ashley New Member

152 This afternoon coming home from Naples, Florida

So if you saw a yellow blur with a red bag on Interstate 75 Northbound in Wiumama, Florida (yeah, I know), that was me:flame:

I hit 135 on the way down as the trip between St Pete and Naples is smooth and flat almost all the way. It's about 150 miles each way.

At 152 (appx) the machine was still pulling. I had to back off some because the traffic was coming in. Next time maybe I'll max her out. [EDIT] I forgot to mention that at this speed my bike was stone solid and other than the hum and very slight engine vibration, all was beautiful. Almost like it was born to go this speed.

D

PS - I forgot to tell everyone that the new Engine Ice coolant isn't too bad so far. Up and back on this trip I was cruising between 85 and 110. The air temp on the way down was about 92 and at speed the engine temp was holding steady at 180. Up the air temp was slightly cooler and again the coolant temp held stead at around 180. Now also bear in mind that when I pulled over for fuel and stretching, the coolant climbed to 220 and held until I could get back to speed. But not once did it get over 222. My 2 pennies!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  8. pjm204

pjm204 New Member

hit 132 indicated on my '07 RWB that I have had for a week.....that was at 500 miles...damn did it feel smooth

9. Derek Ashley

Derek Ashley New Member

I go to rural Michigan all the time to see my kiddos, and the friggin deer are everywhere. I take my SUV, though. I'd rather hit one in my Durango than on my bike! I blasted a fawn in 93, and almost got a HUGE doe in 2000. Those fu2kerz love surprize attacks!

Seriously, though, any time in rural areas where there are wildlife, I'm supremely cautious. Unfortunately, we can never prepare completely for the totally random and most extraneous of events.

For example, I used to race bicycles, and I still actively train. I was hit by this chick - driving a HONDA! no less - when she made a U-Turn right into me. I got hammered really hard and and am still sore. This one was totally off the wall.

I have loads of experience riding my bike thru the streets of Tampa Bay, and I am ever-vigilant at all times. I like to analyze things and I think other than increasing my awareness, I feel that it was unavoidable. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Bounding Deer or U-Turning Hondas, unfortunate events that "just happen". Hopefully we live to tell about it!:llama:

Watch for the grannies in the caddies!

D

10. Mainerider

Mainerider New Member

Map
    Amen to that!

11. Derek Ashley

Derek Ashley New Member

12. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    aw man i think im goin to hell for laughing at that one. lol

13. Mainerider

Mainerider New Member

Map
    He was just practicing for that night's bikers...

14. Derek Ashley

Derek Ashley New Member

DAD Voice On: Just be careful kids! DAD Voice Off :biggrin:

15. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
  16. firemanti

firemanti New Member

Map
    I've seen 150 on my 93.

17. Excalibur105

Excalibur105 New Member

How far on your rpm meter can you go with the 6th generations on the 6th gear? I´ve recently calibrated my speedometer and changed my front sprocket into 15 instead of 16 in hope to get a little more strenght in the engine. But always when I reach 10´000rpm it just stops, there´s no power left.
    The speedometer indicated 213km/h and that´s after the 12,6% decresed calibration. Does anyone know if there´s anything electrical that´s preventing the bike to go further??

18. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    it will still run strong to the rev limiter in the lower gears right?
    i would defenetely take it to a dyno and have it tested out.
    im not sure if what you are describing is your bike being a little weak in the top end department or if you a litterally hitting a brick wall at 10 grand...

19. Excalibur105

Excalibur105 New Member

Well it´s not a brickwall, it accelerate about 1km/h in 5 seconds. On the lower gears it runs all the way to the rev limit and pretty fast to.
    I´ve decided to take it to a dynojet center but I want the bike to go as smooth as possible first so I don´t have to change anything afterwards and ruin the test run. If anyone knows what I can do about I would be greatful. :thumbsup:

20. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    well that works out to about a buck 30... a sixth gen should still be pulling at that speed... either your speedometer is calibrated wrong, or you have a bad tune. but, then again at 130 real gps certified mph, a vrf probably wont be accelerating that hard...

i suggest first, take a good gps with you and do a run to exactly 100 kilometers/hour hold it steady for a minute(don't go over 100) and then come back to a stop. check the gps and see what your max speed was. it should be exactly 100 kph. if not adjust it accordingly. hopefully it was calibrated too low and you really have been going faster all this time. keep in mind most of the people on here (myself included) have speedometers that aren't calibrated correctly, and when they say that they are doing 160 mph, its probably more like 145 mph. i think the factory sets them to read maybe 10 or 15 percent high. (good for keeping you outa trouble with the law)

so after you try all that out if you still feel like you are lacking some top end, take it to a dyno shop and see if you are running a lil too rich or lean up top. (i dont know how accurate of a reading you are going to get with all your emissions equipment still on, pair valve and catalytic converter cleaning up all the unburnt fuel).

also helping your engine breathe better will add some top end horse power. bmc filter, snorkel and flapper removal, aftermarket exhaust...

keep in mind when you shortened your gearing you did reduce your top speed... also with your chain spinning that much faster for any given speed, there is going to be slightly more friction then on a stock geared vfr...