VFR Top Speed is ????

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Wu-Viffer, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Gui4J

Gui4J New Member

143 and more to come

2. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Mach 2 but not GPS verified, sorry.

3. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    So fast that it starts to get dark when I pin it (or maybe I was closing my eyes).

Action

4. CamelVFR

CamelVFR New Member

I got 150 there last week on motorway. But on the rolling road its good for 177 apparently. Im with alot of others though, Dont like to take my eyes off the road after 100mph.

5. MiddleAgeCrazy

MiddleAgeCrazy New Member

Map
    How does one use a GPS to verify speed? MP3 players weren't on the market when I was riding a few short years back!

6. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

It's a lot simpler than it sounds:smile:.

Usually it's just a automotive gps mounted to the handle bars, or stuck in a tank bag, or even the fancy smancy motorcycle gps called "Zumo" by Garmin, and most if not all of the devices will show you your "speed" reading in real time(either on the main map screen or on a separate "trip info" screen). Same way the GPS uses at least 3 satellites to triangulate your position, the processors in them allow them to calculate your distance traveled and show you your current speed. Some of them even have a "trip computer" like in some automobiles that keeps track of moving time, stopped time, average speed, trip length, odometer, and even saves a "max speed" reading that you can view any time.

7. tafterburner

tafterburner New Member

i have a friend on the police dept, i had him clock me(radar gun) on my 03 vfr, almost 160, it was a shakin so i backed out of it. i believe she had a little more.

8. spridget

spridget New Member

Map
    I bought this '99 VFR800 last week. Had it up to a tick over 140mph indicated within about 30 minutes of ownership. I was amazed at how smooth and stable this bike is at high speed. My previous top speed on a sport bike was a tick over 150mph indicated on my '98 CBR600F3 (stage 3). The CBR was no where near as smooth as the VFR. The CBR was just about maxed out at 150 while the VFR feels like it's only getting started at 140.

9. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Hahahaha! :lol: I didn't see this until today. Well, I'm not the maniac most people make me out to be. Highest speed I ever attained was 130 mph on a highway with no one on it except for my buddy on a CB919 about a quarter mile ahead. The only thing that kept me from going faster was my jacket kept flapping around and made me nervous that I was gonna fly off the bike.

Side note: About 20 minutes later my buddy on the CB919 got a speeding ticket. But I didn't. :cool: That's why I earned my title professional po-po runner. :lol:

And no, I didn't redline it, quite the opposite, I saw a bridge up ahead and slowed down. I know that bridges are the cop's favorite hideout and I always be a good boy when I see one up ahead. I even told my buddy about that and he said, "Eh, I'll be all right... the cops just want to you to slow down and they'll let you go." Uh huh, that sure worked well for you. :rolleyes:

10. Pcohen

Pcohen New Member

My little 500 will get up to 120! it takes about a whole minute to go from 115 to 120 haha

11. helmethedz

helmethedz New Member

Australia
    Gen 3 + staintune only.
    [​IMG]

btw, according to the gps the speedo on my bike is a steady 10% out (high) over the range. Not sure if this is common to the model, but may explain some of the claims being made around here.

12. katat58

katat58 New Member

Map
    Finally got the tire balance straightened out, refer to thread new tire woes and pushed the viffer to 150mph! This is the fastest I've ever traveled on land! It may have gone faster, I wasn't at red line in 6th gear, however it just wouldn't push/climb any more, just hovered there at 150. My viffer is an 06, in stock configuration. I just turned 60 in Oct. and am also in stock configuration. :thumbsup:

13. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    top speed

Ran an 02 out to 152 at 4900 feet. 86 hits rev limiter at 147 radar(gearing) only had 07 to 156 but it does have more just need more room.

14. MiddleAgeCrazy

Map

Next time move your feet as inboard as you can, take your left hand and curl it around the tank while moving throttle hand an inch inboard, and get your head down a bit, which might get you another 5 MPH. Congrats on 150, you do realize at that speed you are covering about the length of a football field every 2.4 seconds right?

Life Begins at 140

15. namaishi

namaishi New Member

Map
    I got it to 140 once on my 2006, but haven't and hopefully won't try again. I don't think there was much juice beyond that, although my brother claims to have gotten it to 150. As has been mentioned by many, the speedometers can be around 10% optimistic and it would be better to track it using GPS.

16. mycarslow

mycarslow New Member

i had my 5th gen to 140... and it seem to just sit there

17. MiddleAgeCrazy

Map

Maybe it's you that are just sitting there?

Suggestion:

Assume a posture conducive to high speed riding.

Stay in fourth gear to within 500 RPM of redline, shift to fifth. Maintain fifth gear to within 500 RPM of redline, shift into 6th.​

18. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    161.82 GPS certified MPH good F'n job. That is some pretty serious speed out an almost stock vfr. I'm likin those third gens more and more everyday! who else actually has GPS number around here?

19. zilla

zilla New Member

I guess i'm a wuss. I've never had the need to take mine over 100. It has plenty left for sure.

20. Antdog4000

Antdog4000 New Member

Vfr 750 1996

I took mine to 162 MPH on highway 580 and it was extremely smooth for that speed even in little turns.
    but soon after my fuel pump died :frown: