VFR Guru help needed ASAP.....I'm about to give up hope

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by LayinLow, Jun 21, 2014.

1. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

Just had a look at the '07 pulse generator setup (BikeBandit microfiche is your friend), it's quite different from the '84 (duh). It is a single pulse module with a much more complicated rotor wheel. May be why you, CRRC46, would not be familiar with the older unit ... :biggrin: ...

ACE

2. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Heart of Dixie Georgia Boys mighta been usin' dat
    Map
    Howdy ACE,

Living life and loving it in the ole humid huntspatch... Looks like you were doing some hot laps at little talladega?

What's the voltage doing with that LiFePO battery--i would like to try it but worried about over-charging those little fireballs, which they don't tolerate very much.

Obligatory topical discussion: OP, yeah sometimes pulsers go out, but generally they are not a high-frequency failure or repair item. Nothing personal, but since you mucked with the harness you might be partially to blame for heavy-handed twisting or wrapping of the coppers, or maybe bumped it during the recent clutch work, etc...

It's always good to hear the full story of all recent work done when troubleshooting, e.g when someone is having fuel issues after they 'just cleaned the carbs so i know it's not that'--ask Squirrel how many times he's heard that one...

3. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

Hey kb, I ride little Tally as often as I can afford to, managing around 1:12s on my little XR. If I could just carry a little more corner speed everywhere :lol:, I could approach advanced riders times :eyebrows: ... about 110 is as much as she'll do on the short straights ...

Slight thread hi-jack. I've only had the Shorai for about 9 months now but no probs with charging. I haven't used any external battery charger yet & I still have the OEM stator/regulator in place, so no aftermarket unit over-charging issues there. I have a small LED voltage monitoring device (I forget the manufacturer) mounted on the bike & it has yet to indicate any problem. With a standard battery, the flashing green LED indicating proper voltage would stay on for a few hours after shutting the bike off. With the Shorai, this LED stays on for a few days, indicating to me that the voltage remains up for quite some time.

And to the original discussion, anytime I get on one of my bikes & notice something is not right, my 1st thought is 'what was I doing to her last?' ... :chaingun: ...

ACE

4. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    Well the good thing is, while I was cleaning the carbs I installed a stage II jet kit in there with a couple needle shims. Gonna run with the snorkel off the RIGHT way. Also have brand new iridum plugs and new oil/filter. Taking the crank case apart AGAIN..will be a pest but once its all back together its gonna be a wheelie machine...lol

5. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    If I were you I would put the fh020aa and a voltage gauge on the bike while the stator is still good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    The voltmeter might not be a bad idea. Although Im worried it will be another thing to fixate on when I should be enjoying the ride. I'm a little OCD that way. Those mosfet kits seem to have a lot of duplicate parts that the VFRness already has. There were connections to the stator on my vfrness already I think.

7. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    There's nothing to fixate on. My voltage is so rock steady it's always at 14.1 volts. I just give it a quick glance every now and then.

There are no stator connections to the vfrness. There ARE rr connections on the vfrness though. This allows you to run the rr straight to the battery, since the vfrness runs battery power to the old rr location for you.

8. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    Noted. Is there a nice cheap and reliable one I can get on amazon prime or ebay? One that is known to be solid?

9. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
  10. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    Oh VFRNess place? Cool....wonder if they have a stator specific kit for those that already have the vfrness

11. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Huh? What Exactly is it that you looking for? I don't get it.

12. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    Well a voltmeter. Curious if they have any sort of special stator saving harness

13. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    You want a grounding kit for your stator? Lol

14. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    I clearly don't know Wtf I'm taking about. Now you see why this particular gremlin almost broke my will to live...lol

15. NormK

NormK New Member

Going by the problems these have with charging I think they should all be fitted with a volt meter

16. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Yup that should be the first mod for any motorcycle.

17. FMB42

FMB42 New Member

Good call Carl!

Yep, sometimes it's better to adhere to the old, but still true, "form follows function" when it comes to certain things.

Anyway, glad to see you making headway on electrical problems. Now about those turn signals...

18. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    Turn signals still work fine....the face just only clips on from the top now...lol. They are only $20 anyway.

SO......install done.....did the usual of fixing a bunch of small things on the way back out to the fairings, so I'm really happy with the bike....it took the engine about 20-30 seconds to acclimate to the new pulse generator and it had me scared...but it runs great now!

FUNNY STORY! So while it was apart I installed a custom jet kit from Sigma, designed specifically for the setup im running. Its a "bench tune" i know but it was pretty accurate. Its been scorching hot in Atlanta...90+ and humid as hell. So during the day the bike runs id say 95% maybe a bit on the rich side. AT night when it drops below 90 it runs like a scalded dog. Not bad for a non fuel injected bike. Well my dumb a$$ decided I want to try and fine tune that so it runs just as good in this weather (im an idiot). So today I cut my airbox hole out even wider than it is with no snorkel. Runs lean over 1/2 throttle. Then i ride back home ten minutes later and completely refab my airbox with the snorkel in this time...using carefully crafted duct tape..lol. Runs great till 1/2 throttle then too rich!!!:biggrin-new: OMG I'm a tool. SO now I have to order a used airbox on ebay just to take the snorkel off and use it like the kit was made for! Lol. Thus rendering my lid ONLY useful for ME running bone stock or maybe someone else who runs even bigger jets on a track would want it?:sorrow:

19. FMB42

FMB42 New Member

I was referring to this comment:

This tells me that you might consider checking the TS system for damaged wires, connections, switches, and components.

20. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

I was looking to be pro active in regards to the potential R/R problems. I contacted this site, electrosport.com, they have the FA020AA listed, but also a specific VFR R/R, # ESR438, I contacted them about it and they said the internal circuitry is identical but that the ESR438 is a plug and play unit (at least for 6th gen) verses a universal kit. Shipped price was $64.99. This is about half the price of the FH020AA. I will take some before and after readings once I receive it but I wonder if anything will be revealed since I'm not experiencing any issues currently.
    John