VFR fan mod with VTR fan blade

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by twisted04, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Dominator

Dominator New Member

Good info.
    I have a VTR1000 and a VFR800 and they are both hot runners in traffic.
    Both run at 225 f so I don't think a pusher or a puller fan is an issue. Both have only 1 fan.
    Side rads just do not work well at low speeds.
    I would be interested in any dual fan info that you may have.
    Incidently my wifes R6 runs at 185 in the same situations. 1 rad 1 fan.

2. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    I did this mod on my 5th gen and it definitely makes a difference. Nothing scientific, but the bike runs cooler than it did before by up to 10 degrees. I rarely see anything over 220 now and it was above 230 on a regular basis before the changing the fan.

3. Cyborg

Cyborg New Member

United States
    Stupid question time: Wouldn't reversing the wires to the fan also work to reverse airflow?

4. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    in theory that would work, but not all electric motors like to be driven in reverse.

5. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    Not a stupid question. I thought of that too, but liked the VTR fan better then the VFR fan for no other reason than the blades are larger. :guitar:

6. PAFirefighter11

PAFirefighter11 New Member

Who wants to be the guinea pig?!

7. 300kmh

300kmh New Member

I should have read the entire post but I wanted to mention this before I forget, If the main reason for higher temps on a VFR is caused by lack of forward momentum, then wouldn't it be best to fabricate a small bracket in front of the motor to support a fan that blows straight back in the opposite direction of normal forward movement for said machine...?

I also completely agree that changing the one rad fan airflow direction is not good.

8. matt1986vf500f

matt1986vf500f New Member

United States
    Map
    How would it even be possibly to mount a fan on the other side lots of fabing would need to be done.

9. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

It is possible to fit a 120mm PC fan to the right radiator, at the forward end, the fan overlaps the front head cam cover, but does not touch anything.

These fans are very light so I just cable/zip tied it in place ! If you check out my 10 Year refresh thread, you can see a picture. I'm looking for a more powerful version of these fans, as I only used a cheap one to test if it would work & slaved the power to it from the primary fan, so when that one comes on so does the right hand one !

The newer CBR's use 2 fans & the smaller one might fit in the space & moves a lot more air than a PC Fan ! Together with the VTR blades on the STD fan, this would cure the hot air from the exhasut issue at low speeds, as it would be pulling in enough air that cool air from the front wheel area would be pulled in too to fill the low pressure area !

Have fun.

10. Misspent Youth

Misspent Youth New Member

United States
    What model and where'd you get it?

11. Spike

Spike New Member

Website doesn't list the VFR on the Honda page???

12. jspeed

jspeed New Member

it was for a honda 1000rr. sorry i guess i should have said that. u can call them. they are pretty nice guys.

13. jspeed

jspeed New Member

hey do u think by removing the plastic grill on the outside of the radiators it might flow a wee bit better? i know its just a tiny piece of plastic, but every square in. counts. i like the second fan from a new CBR idea. keep it honda.

14. Guj

Guj New Member

I'm looking to do this mod over the winter, but I haven't had much luck finding a place that carries the VTR fan blade. Can some one point me in the right direction?

15. Misspent Youth

Misspent Youth New Member

United States
    I found mine on Ebay - usually lots there. Mine came attached to a fan motor. New? Ronayers.com Ron Ayers Motorsports

16. Marrib

Marrib Insider

United States
    Map
    I have changed back to the stock fan.

1. I did this mod b/c I live in Phx and there are times when I'm at slow speeds and I want the air moving out of the scoop and not fighting the pressure head while moving forward.

2. I pickup up a rock that go caught inbetween the fan and rad giving this little treat.
    [​IMG]

3. I purchased new fan and radiator and replaced both. While at R3, I picked up another rock but stopped the fan before too much damage. A lot of damage was done to fan#2.

4. Combed out most of the damage on rad#2 and put stock fan back on.

I don't know if its the new tires that are picking up the rocks or the fan blades being the other direction that doesn't allow a trapped rock to be blown free. I am looking into a mesh screen of sorts. Then I might go back to the vtr fan. For all you thinking of this mod, be aware of trapped rocks.

Oh, and I can have this mod done is less than 30min now. I think I've done the whole thing 4 or 5 times. There is something to be said for experience.

17. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    I have had the same problem with a small rock getting into my fan but am have to stick with the fan mod. But have a close eye on it.

18. davjohns

davjohns New Member

The second thing I noticed about this bike on the ride home was that it runs hot. I'm not fond of that. Seems it will lead to premature wear and beakdown. I like the CBR fan on the second radiator idea. I looked on ebay and found the CBR600 has a small fan. I'm going to take my bike apart to see what kind of room we have on the second radiator. I'm not sure I want to reverse the flow of the air. I give the Honda crew credit for knowing best on that. I do like the idea of the fan coming on earlier. Wish there was a sensor switch that would allow the fan to kick in at lower temperature. Lacking that, I may see about the override switch.

19. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

I just added this to mine & it kicks in at 90c & out at 75c which in use actualy works out at around 93c & 79c according to my readout on the dash.

Intermotor 50310 part
    For Nissan
    Cherry (N12) 1.5 Turbo (77kW) 83-85
    Prairie (MlO, NM10) 1.5 S (55kW) 84-87
    Prairie (MlO, NM10) 1.8 SGL (65kW) 83-85
    Sunny (Bll) 1.3 (44W) 82-87
    Sunny Coupe (Bll) 1.3 (44kW) 82-86

You have to splice the wiring, so I just broke up the Nissan connenctor with a pair of pliers & used a chocolate block to connect the original Honda wires. Just add an earth wire, as the Nissan part does not earth through the body, or just solder one wire to the HEX body of the Nissan part to make it do so.

Job done.

20. ciprinakos

ciprinakos New Member

Norway
    Map
    I did the mod myself & it works great. To lower the chance of getting a stone into radiator, like it happened to other colleagues, I've installed a front wheel fender extender.
    Cheers!