VFR 800 VTEC 2002 - Engine cut out when dip beams switched on

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Braaahhnz, May 17, 2015.

1. Braaahhnz

Braaahhnz New Member

Hey guys, out for a ride on dirty girl today and had an issue.
    I had just stopped while meeting up with a mate and when I restarted I found she wouldn't start. She was turning but nothing. I switched everything off and tried again, this time she fired on the button, Hey, I thought, just one of those things so I switched on my side lights then dip beams and then the engine died. Switched off and tried again, nothing. Off, this time I switched off the lights and restarted and off she fires.
    I instantly thought my battery was probably shot so tried to find a new one but being miles from home and in an unfamiliar area I was unable to find anywhere open and was reluctant to stop and switch off as I was trying my best to keep the engine at 5k or more revs to keep the system charging the battery.
    Anyway, decided the guys should carry on and enjoy the ride out and I headed for home, an hour and half of riding at over 5k revs really punished the fuel economy but I got home and was pleasantly surprised that I did.
    First I took the battery off and put it on a charger but within seconds the charger had switched over to trickle telling me the battery is fine. The next plan is to check the fuses and look for any shorts by doing continuity tests.
    What I suppose I want to know is if anyone has had this before, I suspect it's the RR unit again (I had a failure on a VFR750) but I want this confirmed so I can cut to the chase and not bother with the testing.
    If it is the RR unit, I have seen various posts by members about alternatives, the Yammer R1 seems to come highly recommended but can anyone recommend a definitive and preferably cheap RR unit? OR, another solution to what may be hapening to the Dirty temperamental Girl.

I just want to get back out on the road, I had been off for three years with various things, this was my first ride out with friends in a very long time

Thanks guys

2. NormK

NormK New Member

Don't have a clue as to what could be wrong, never heard of charging problems on VFR's before, but for F%$ks sake do the drill,the charging system on these is shit because of crap wiring connectors fitted by Honda. This problem comes at least once a week, sometimes more

3. Braaahhnz

Braaahhnz New Member

Thanks NormK! Very useful.
    Tried investigating but couldn't replicate the fault. Seems to happen only after prolonged use.
    Battery was fine, cranking voltage fine, lights all switched on without engine cutting out.
    I am at a complete loss, please guys some pointers would be appreciated.
    I've terminated the lambda and O2 sensors after fitting delkevic down pipes but that is the only electric mod. The rr unit looks fine and output voltages look good.

4. Braaahhnz

Braaahhnz New Member

Done all testing. Battery and charging system are all fine. Earth continuity checks done and all fuses are intact.
    Really need help with this.
    I haven't managed to replicate the fault and took it for a decent ride with town and country riding and it hasn't happened again. Suggestions please.

5. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm not a mechanic. With that being said, I'd check for melting wires starting at the main fuse by the battery and working my way down to the r/r.
    I had a similar issue some years ago, a clue for me was that I was able to smell burnt plastic when it happened and sniffed around the bike every time I could. I found the culprit in the headlight housing of the Kawasaki.