VFR 1200 Fixed!!!!

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by alexdig, Oct 9, 2012.

1. mlloyd

mlloyd New Member

In my case the Gear indicator going from 3 to a - or 2 to a - while holding the throttle steady happens everytime I ride and dealership can reproduce that, however the stalling, stumbling has no pattern. Stalling stumbling can happen four times in 50 miles or once every 300 miles. Brand of gas, octane does not seem to have an effect. Temperature is irrelevent. No rhyme or reason? Not sure if gear position sensor interfaces with ECU or TPS; I assume it would since the ECU determines restriction in 1st and 2nd. Maybe ECU is getting false readings when in gears thinking it is in neutral?

2. RustyBit

RustyBit New Member

Sorry to hear that. Yes the GPS does interface with the ECM, ALL sensors go trough the ECM. It could possibly be just a faulty GPS, surprised they haven't swapped that out to eliminate that already. If it is not that then it most likely has to be the ECM. Funny I was reading an old road test on the VFR12 the other day, I think it was a newish bike, and the tester stated that "the VFR 1200 has the normal Honda problem of false neutrals on full acceleration" I think the quote was pretty close, can't find it now. I have owned close to 40 Honda bikes, over to many years, incl. road and dirt, from the QR50 to the VFR12 over the years and have NEVER had one just pop into neutral UNLESS "I" hadn't selected properly. This would normally happen early or whilst shifting, NEVER just cruising or high up in the rev's.
    Definitely not saying this is your problem, your's is weird, plus a lot of these were well before electronic intervention.

I am still a non believer in the ECM reflash, AFAIK Honda ECM/ECU's are not "SIMPLY" flashable. I am still waiting to hear from anyone who has actually seen it performed by the dealer, a reset maybe, but a reflash I still doubt. Heck even the Chinese haven't been able to fully crack the Honda electronics yet. They can't even provide a HIM/HDS tester knock off, everyone else's yes - Honda's no.

Good luck anyway, keep us updated.

Cheers Rusty

3. mlloyd

mlloyd New Member

Thanks Rusty, I really didn't want to be the nay sayer and stomp on peoples hopes, but Honda told me when the problem first started that these ECU's could not be reflashed our only option is a re-set or ECU replacement. Honda said and I quote "we are not going to just throw money at a problem we can't re-produce." Honda hasn't replaced one thing other than the plugs.I too have been a solid Honda customer since 1983... this experience has really crushed my belief in Honda quality and reliability.

4. RustyBit

RustyBit New Member

Thanks for leaving it to me, I will now cop all the flak from the "believers". As Honda are, I think the only company that do ALL their own electronics in-house they really do keep them close to their chest. They take years to crack even partially. I am fairly certain they won't let some mechanic in outback OZ or USA get hold of the software that the boffins at certain companies would pay big buck for.

5. bcbackroader

bcbackroader New Member

update?

I noticed this thread is getting a little stale, so i thought maybe its a good time to chime in with a question. I have the opportunity to purchase a 2010 dct for 10.5 k. i rode the bike and i found auto to be kind of sloppy and sport mode misbehaved, sometimes not upshifting after climbing to 6000 rpm, but manual mode worked brilliantly. should i jump on this deal or am i asking for trouble? Also updates from those of you having problems would be appreciated

6. ytvfr

ytvfr New Member

Canada
    Speaking as someone who currently has the problem. I truly believe its far and few between as to the number of 2010 VFRs that are exhibiting these symptoms.

Personally I'd go for it.

Im optimistic that they will solve the issue I'm having with my bike.

P.S - I have the manual version.

Hope this helps.

7. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey BC,
    The dealership I got mine from had 4 demo's, 2 DCT's and 2 manuals, I spent a bit of time on all 4 and was surprised in the difference in quality/feel/tightness, whatever you want to call it. I bought one of the DCT's, my 2nd choice would have been one of he manuals and I don't think I would of bought either of the others.
    I'm really happy but the longer I have it the more anxious I am about removing the restriction in the first 2 gears. It's still not not clear to me who's/what fix to go with. This and other sites have several guy's that seem to know their stuff but I still don't think there is a consensus for the DCT.
    Feel free to take this as a plea for help....anyone.

8. bcbackroader

bcbackroader New Member

Thanks for your reply Rob, any regrets buying the bike? How was the price? I thought bazazz had a solution for the dct, maybe I'm wrong but it's worth a call to them to find out. I'm really on the fence about this acquisition, I really don't have time to be going to the shop and fighting with honda. I would like to see a resolution before I drop the dough

9. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    No regets, love the bike and glad I got the DCT, that was he hardest decision. I keep it in sport most of the time and when it's not doing what i want, which isn't very often the paddles work well.
    Price was similar, they were asking $10,900 and gave me more then $1000 too much for my trade and a good deal on the accessories I wanted.
    Bazzaz only helps the manuals, DCT choices are ECU Unleached and/or an ignition module, this is where I need some direction. If the fog doesn't lift by the winter I'll be sending my ECU to Unleached and hoping for the best, even if I'm the first. There's a couple of threads in this forum about this, it gets alittle confusing since not everyone is on the same page.
    Pull the trigger, at that price the worst that can happen is you drive it for a couple of years and loose a couple of thousand when you trade/sell it.

10. crumb.counter

crumb.counter New Member

United States

Did anything help you? I am having same problem and makes the bike unrideable.