VFR 1200 Fixed!!!!

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by alexdig, Oct 9, 2012.

1. RustyBit

RustyBit New Member

Have heard this one about plugs on other forums, I've pulled mine a few times and they were and are perfect. These plugs last for a 100,000k's, no point pulling them out and replacing with the same thing. I think that adjusting the throttle cable freeplay, (anything more than 2mm and your pushing it) would have more to do with it than the plugs, unless you were pushing 70,000k's or more. I'm still on the bench re: the ECU reflash, over the pond they claim it is being done, nothing concrete, all claims no facts and varied opinions if it worked or not. I would love to be proved wrong on this one. Has anyone actually observed it being done??? If it was that easy to put a new map in, why do we need PCV's, Juiceboxes, Bazzaz etc.

Cheers Rusty

2. mlloyd

mlloyd New Member

They changed the plugs in mine 3x with no change (plugs looked good everytime). They claim you cannot reflash the ECU just reset, kinda like rebooting your PC; that didn't help either. Their last attempt was to go through the wire harnesses and look for faulty grounds or loose connections. I am going to try an Ethanol treatment (Starbrite) when the weather warms up and see if that helps.

3. jtreadway

jtreadway New Member

United States
    Map
    Does anyone know if this firmware update is the same for DCT and non-DCT VFRs? I would think that they would have to be different. Does anyone know if the ECU firmware update for a Canadian spec 2010 VFR1200 DCT would work on a US ECU? Are they the same? I would think they would have to be different. I was under the impression that Honda US would not be providing any updates due to US emissions compliance and the $$ of recertifying. But if the Canadian firmware would be compatible, I'd gladly drive a few hours to Montreal or Quebec to have it done.

4. mlloyd

mlloyd New Member

Jtreadway, are you having a similiar issue sputtering/ stalling or are you looking to get rid of the restrictions. I would think US/Canadian models would be the same; both considered North America.

5. jtreadway

jtreadway New Member

United States
    Map
    I want to reduce/remove the 1st & 2nd gear power restrictions. Since I have the DCT version, no add-on component from Bazaaz for DynoJet will correct that issue, they are only compatible with the manual clutch version. And ECUnleashed does not currently offer a remap for the DCT. I initially had a minor issue with throttle response being somewhat abrupt when pulling away from a stop, but it really way just a throttle play adjustment. I have had no issues with sputtering or stalling at.

6. mlloyd

mlloyd New Member

Unfortunately I haven't heard of anyway to get rid of the restriction on DCT models. Some were talking about whether 2012 ECU's would work in 2010 models? Not sure of findings.

7. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    My DCT is going for he update on Monday, I've been told it's designed to help with the lack of power in 1st and 2nd at the lower rpm's. Fingers crossed that it will totally get rid of the restriction, it'll be awhile before I know cause of the snow. The other thing is Honda hasn't posted a bulliten for it so it's gonna cost 1/2 - hour labour.
    I would think anybody with $50 - $100 Canadian paso's could have it done

8. RustyBit

RustyBit New Member

Try the PCV Ignition Module. I ditched the Zbomb on my manual for this, IMHO much improved. I haven't read that it is manual only.

Cheers Rusty

9. Natevit

Natevit New Member

I too have been experiencing a "flat spot" on my newly purchased 2010 vfr 1200f. Mine is not a DCT though. Has anyone else with out the DCT experience these issues? Has anyone found a fix?
    I have had the bike stumble and stall more than once in first, and stumble in second.
    The bike I purchased was a Honda owned Rep motorcycle I purchased with 11k miles on it and comes with a as new complete warranty.
    I know it has been well maintained and properly broken in.
    Thoughts?

Nate

10. RustyBit

RustyBit New Member

:eek:
    Hi Nate, at one stage I had issues with mine intermittently stumble & cutting out just as I took off in first, really embarrassing if one had just put both feet up, hard to defy gravity:eek: Found on mine that it was the sidestand switch. Just pulled it off, cleaned, lubed, no issue since. The flat spot could be the normal issues with these bikes supposed fuelling and ignition related. PCV, Zbomb etc. can help these.

Cheers Rusty

11. mlloyd

mlloyd New Member

Look under surging and stumbling, a few others and I have been battling with Honda about this. File a complaint with NHTSA and report it to Honda. Feel free to contact me for more info. Have had mine back to the dealership four times and they have not resolved the issue.

12. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    They picked up my bike today to throw some new tires on it and do the ECU update. Hoping to take it out for a romp tomorrow, will let you know my thoughts if I'm able to. Can't wait to clear the cob webs.

13. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    Picked up the bike today after the update and reboot was done. The service manager has been filled in some
    more by Honda Canada.
    The European update is different then the North American, the update over here is for select serial #'s that have issues from an older program, not to get rid of the restriction. My bike already had the most recent program but they went ahead and did it anyway thinking nothing would change.
    I put close to 100km's on it today and the flat spots in 1st & 2nd are still there, when you gun it in sport or manual you've gotta wait for it then boom it's a rocket. Idling around in a parking lot there is a little bit of that loose noise but not excessive. It's been a long winter but I don't believe it changed things, the only ? is the Drive mode seemed more usable, felt like it didn't change quite so quick and was a little more intuitive depending how I used the throttle.
    I'm really happy with the bike, I was hoping for more immediate throttle response in 1st and 1nd at the lower RPM's. Seems like there will be know beating big brother for us North Americans with a DCT.

14. mlloyd

mlloyd New Member

If my bike wasn't having the issues it is; it would be the best all around bike I've ever had, unfortunately the stalling,stumbling, and surging ruin the experience. Honda is just happy they chopped the price and moved them and could give a S*@t about customer satisfaction. If they would just man up and take care of the handful of customers experiencing these issues they would fullfill there commitment to providing a quality maintenance free product and satisfy people rather than stomping on their confidence in Honda products.

15. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    Sounds like you're one of the unlucky ones with the older version of the software. I'm not sure how close to the border you are? But if Honda USA is not going to make sure their dealers have the tools to put the latest version in their customers bikes I'd call he closest Canadian dealer and give them your info and offer to pay for their time. The service manager was sure the US and Canadian bikes are the same so the most current program with the reboot (bike needs to be at running temperature) should make you a happy guy.
    I warned him that he may be getting a few calls from State side.
    613-224-7899 his names Marino, the service manager at the Ottawa dealership, he seemed unsure if he could but I'm sure he'd check into it, he's a good guy. Also, the guys earlier in this thread from Brampton seemed eager to do the upgrade.
    Best of luck, pretty shitty there not reflashing down there.

16. jtreadway

jtreadway New Member

United States
    Map
    Damn, I was really hoping this would fix the power restriction problem! I had already spoken with Brampton PowerSports and they were more than willing to provide the update to US bikes.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  17. mlloyd

mlloyd New Member

Thanks for the info, if in a few weeks I get it up to the dealer and they offer no solution I will be travelling to Canada. I head up there more than a few times a year anyways.

18. ytvfr

ytvfr New Member

Canada
    Robclo, thanks for the update!

It's interesting to know that certain VIN#'s have an earlier version of the software.

My bike will be going in the last week of April, weather permitting.

19. mlloyd

mlloyd New Member

Does anyone know the VIN# range?

20. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    I don't, but your # is the first question the dearler asks if you didn't buy it there.