VFR 1200 DCT Catastrophic Engine Failure at 17000 miles.

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Pitfox, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Hey, I love my "nightmare" Just looked out in the driveway, didn't see any ashes!

2. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    vfr 1200 blue on ebay 770 miles 2012- $8700 looks real nice

3. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    That would be a legit, 1000cc 90degree V4 with a 180 crank. DOHC, direct injection, cam gear and no "VTEC"

Come on Honda. You could do it

4. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    I keep reading this and my mind keeps going back to the fact that it was just serviced by a dealership (Honda Chiswick). That's where my money would be bet for the issue, not a design flaw from mother Honda. I've read of more dealership screw-ups than manufacturing defects from any motorcycle.

5. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    I seem to recall a few articles regarding excessive metal shavings in the bottom end on the VFR1200. The metal shavings would clog oil passages & lead to starvation on the rod bearings or crank journals. Witch would lead to engine failure. The problem was limited to a small amount of non US market bikes. Been digging on the info web & can't seem to find those articles anymore.

6. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
  7. nic579

nic579 New Member

May have not made much difference in the end really. I am curious as to what you are told is the issue. It's often difficult to tell WTF is going on by sound and power loss. Good luck. I love my 1200f but have my doubts about it and more so the dealer service I have experienced so far. It was absolutely the worst I ever experienced when the propeller shaft was replaced, which makes me wonder if the work done is even safe.

8. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    IED1200f has a nice ring to it.

9. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    He nearly killed himself because he was a idiot and carried on for what may have been another 30 miles before leaping off. Instead of stopping when he first heard the noise.

10. Pitfox

Pitfox New Member

It's an idiot not a idiot......Get it right.

English not your first language?

You do seem to speak cretin very well for a troglodyte.(I expect you'll have to look that up):eek-new:

TT4N

P.

11. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    ... play nicely children ...

The interwebby is not a great medium - and seems to be cursed with occasionally badly thought through comments from people remote from the sharp end. What has happened is not going to be changed by any comments made here.

As for what happened, I feel sure that by the time you actually heard/felt the bike was mis-behaving - much of the damage was already done. In practical terms I doubt it makes any difference if you went from a wrecked engine to a totally wrecked one... in short someone was going to be facing a large bill.

What is clear is that stopping the bike in the middle of nowhere - probably miles from any cell phone cover is far from ideal and given how fast folks drive in remote areas, stopping on a narrow road could put the rider at real risk. So your decision to try and limp the bike to somewhere "not in the middle of nowhere" is exactly what I would have done too.

I rather share the suspicions of Marriedman - and yes I have previously used Chiswick Honda and at least in my experience, their service was perfect. But inherently a franchise is only as good as the person actually doing the work - and human beings have been known to drop the ball occasionally.

So Pitfox good luck and please let us know how things pan out.

SkiMad

12. Pitfox

Pitfox New Member

Will do.

I expect it will have to go to court, but I'm fine with that. My solicitor says the Consumer Protection Act has specific clauses under the headings of:

1. "Goods of inferior quality" to that which a customer would normally expect from a mainstream manufacturer.

2 "Goods that are unfit for purpose"

3. "Goods that may be a safety hazard" that a customer would not normally expect from a mainstream manufacturer.

My solicitor is a good egg :smile-new:

So I won't be going begging to Honda if they are not forthcoming.

I'm perfectly happy to let the law take its course and I will abide by the court's decision.

Bye for now.

P

13. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    The sounds made by the bike before spitting its guts makes one think that all this earplug, quiet helmet and headbanger music whilst at speed ain't all that good an idea.

Honda will have records knee deep on blown engines for that bike. Thinking that they will share this? Ain't gonna happen. The dealer who did the last service will have sourced this on advice from their legal eagle already.

Just in case, I am learning to read lips so I can still watch my Oprah re-runs at the ton.

14. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Just to be clear here. Not everyone is a grammar aware English major poster.

15. Badbilly

United States
    I will pray to Saint Woomba, patron saint of the spelling police to send everyone a spellczech.

16. Pitfox

Pitfox New Member

A euphemism I think, and laconic with it.:smug:

Idiopathic apoplexy seems to be the most common complaint on the majority of interweb fora.:crazy:

P

BTW...Pituitary apoplexy can occur as a complication of idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Just thought you should be aware:mask:

17. Badbilly

United States
    I love it when you talk dirty..

18. Pitfox

Pitfox New Member

15jvmr.jpg

Sad to see him splashing about in the shallow end of the gene pool. Only three mutations account for all defective alleles causing phosphoribosyltransferase deficiency. It was believed that this only affected Japanese patients, but this thread has provided new evidence that it may affect other ethnicities who have purchased Japanese motorcyles.

There is no known cure.

P

19. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    It might be better that the engine is destroyed, a brand new one would be nice.

20. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    this is true-I think the 2010 model is a dud, get a new engine and if it kills you this time after I take out a 1 billion wrong full death insurance policy. I will pay for a Kangaroo to put you in a hole with your VFR 1200. I now want to buy one myself-they come in Blue here.:banana: