VF500 F2 Rear Wheel Impossible!

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by slowbird, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. invisible cities

invisible cities New Member

United States
    Map
    +10,,,pure poetry! A gifted pen you have Slow.

2. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    AWESOME :pound:

3. Moose

Moose New Member

LOL - Well this thread is officially gone off the rails completely :)

4. Dannyhoo

Dannyhoo New Member

Map
    Ok thanks I guess the one on my bike was widened before i got the bike, it is a 5.5 x 18 with a 160 tire

5. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Are you talking about your rear VF500 wheel?

6. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Funny shit!

BZ

7. Dannyhoo

Dannyhoo New Member

Map
    Yes that is the size of my rear rim slowbirs

8. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    The stock rear VF500 rim isn't 5.5 x 18.

9. Dannyhoo

Dannyhoo New Member

Map
    Like I said in a previous post I think my tim has been widened. It is a good thing it is that wide because it will be able to house a 190 to a 200 tire no prob and before you ask I am making a new swing arm so clearance won't be a problem

10. invisible cities

invisible cities New Member

United States
    Map
    190,,,200 wide rear tires? This is way oversized for a 500cc bike with 52bhp.

11. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    How do you widen a rim?

Do you have any pictures of the rim and how the tire is mounted in it. (is it being pinched)

....and yea.....waaaay too wide

12. cornercarver

cornercarver New Member

United States
    Map
    Is this still a live topic!!!!?????

I offered to buy hte kit from you about a year for a tidy profit, you declined. Now I catch up on the last 12 pages of the thread and find out that you are monkeying around with suspension, brakes and wheel installation and you are not familiar with even setting the sag or checking wheel alignment after adjusting your chain.

You have decided to use a non recommended sprocket size for the rear (I believe you said "if a 43 will fit a 41 is just a bit different so it should work also" - WTF kind of reasoning is that?!?!?!?!) By the same type of reasoning I could say well, if the rear wheel size going from 18" to 17" works then perhaps a 15" from pit bike should be no problem.

1. You saved some cash and purchased a kit that someone else had installed.
    2. You bitched incessantly about how something must be wrong with the kit...
    or 3. perhaps your bike was a special one of a kind bike that nothing else would fit..
    so 4. you created and fed a 700 post topic on why the kit didn't work for you.
    5. the kits designer offered to buy the kit back from for what you paid (how foolish is he, then you have nothing to continue to bitch about)!

I can see from the initial pics of the rear brake mounting bracket that some interference was occuring on even the initial owners conversion, as well as yours prior to taking half of the mounting tab off.

I am glad that you have been able, with the help of Moose, IC, JD and many others to realize what was causing the installation issue with the conversion/modification that you wanted to accomplish and get it corrected.

That being said, if you see no value in the conversion ("I can't remember how the bike felt before so I don't know if the handling is improved.") and yet you dont want to sell it time to close the book on this one and move forward.

I would recommend a group ride or three and quiz those attending about simple maintenance procedures. Perhaps you can get with some nearby forum members and have a spring "Meet and Maintain" day where people can show you how to set sag, you may have a kinesthetic learning style that helps you better assimilate new information after performing it a few times and everyone seems to know a better way of doing something than I do so I enjoy getting together with other like minded indiviuals and sharing riding, wrenching and racing tips.

just a thought though, maybe you can lay off the "woe is me" and try to be the type of person who would actually rides a bike, independant, free spirited optomistic can do guy that all of your co-workers seek out when they want a mans man opinion of what to do....not the guy that this thread portrays you to be.

13. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

how do you know the rim is 5.5 wide????
    the bike came stock w/ a 110 rear, I would not go over a 140 myself and with the 140 you need to watch it when to lean the bike way over when ripping on it.
    with a rear tire that wide on a bike not org set up for it, you will crash.

you might want to confirm that 5.5 rim width, cause if they just stuffed that 160 on a 4.5 you might have problems

14. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    No it isn't. Maybe you need some reading lessons. Check the dates. Old Thread. :crazy:

Maybe you should follow your own advice and realize that the thread is old, the bike is gone, and the only reason this book isn't closed is because you're the numpty who's posting about it!

What crawled up your butt today cornercarver to post such a blatantly aggressive attack on me?

There are sooo many things wrong with your post I don't even know where to begin.

I guess I'll just start with this: :asshat:

15. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    :popcorn:

16. cornercarver

cornercarver New Member

United States
    Map
    Well, congrats on selling the bike. I guess what crawled up my ass was reading 12 pages of posts to get caught up on this thread when I received the email stating a topic I had subscribed to had been updated yesterday.

In those 12 pages you sound like the :asshat: to me. So what, we don't orbit in the same galaxy so who cares what I think of you, I was just offering some unsolicited advice about what you sound like to anyone who has the temerity to read all 700 + posts.

I for one (and quite possibly may be the only one but I for one) am glad that your long national nightmare is now over and perhaps this thread wont continue to dominate all technical searches for early VF info.

Lots of luck post VF500F, I hope you purchased a Yamaha.

17. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    LOL.

There shouldn't even be anything to enjoy with popcorn.

The thread should be closed....and it was only brought up cause of Dannyhoo's superwide wheel mystery.

...and now that cronercarver is man-struating, I gotta take some undeserving flack from him. :smash:

18. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map

Wow.....what a dick.

19. Michael E

Michael E New Member

Map
    Grumpy-grumps.

20. Dannyhoo

Dannyhoo New Member

Map
    It is not a 4.5 it is a 5.5 I had it checked. Also I am not going for performance here it is about style. This project is just something to play around with. Anyways if I want to lean/ race a bike I'll take out my Cbr 1000 so as you can see this bike is just a toy and I don't care about how much horse power it has or how it won't handle that tire. If I want to put on a 160,190,200,ect. than that is my decision and if doesn't work it doesn't work