VF1000R rebuild

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by hopit88, May 17, 2009.

1. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    You did a great job on those triples. Plus the way you blended them in to look right with the bike. I love to see craftsmanship like that. Nice work!

Hey do you live near Ohio?

2. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States

Thanks bud!

I'm in NH but I have a feeling I'd be over a lot if you were closer.

3. Iospina

Iospina New Member

oh man a fellow new englander? i thought i was the only one on this site haha

4. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    I finally got around to adding about 8-10" to the rear pipes before they merge into one. They were too short before. As much as I hated to mess with another exhaust build, I knew what to do this time and it went much easier. I also redid the baffles and packing.

The first baffle size is on the right, the current diameter on the left.

[​IMG]

Exhaust flow was ultimately going to have to come out of the small end cap opening so I figured I'd make the baffle match the opening size(sorta). I had a 4-1 Sudco baffle lying around that was the right diameter so I cut 2 pieces that fit perfectly. The added benefit besides a little back pressure is I got more packing in there. I was able to wrap a few more times around the smaller baffle.

This is a quality kit I got from Moose Racing. Simply wrap the baffle with the stainless screen, then the SS wool mat, followed by the fiber matting. Secure it with a little masking tape and work it in to the can.

[​IMG]

I also pulled the exhaust tips in a little. The bottoms are now flush with the tail, looks better I think.

[​IMG]

5. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    This thing just keeps getting better Hopit. Awesome!

6. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Looks great!!

7. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    My MRA shield came in and I must say I was disappointed. Not only did it take 3 month's to get here but it didn't fit right. It is well made but once bolted up, it was very crowned. I couldn't figure out why it looked so bulbous. When I put my stocker on top of it, it was like 1.5" wider on each side at the top. I would have sent it back if I hadn't already painted some black on the inside to match the stock one. I threw it on the shelf figuring I'd never use it except in an emergency.

Well, it festered in me enough that I couldn't let it beat me so I broke out the masking tape, angle grinder and belt sander and was going to show it who's boss.

Here's how off it was from stock. My stock one is on top. The front holes line up but it goes down hill from there back. The bottom edge has blue tape on it. The top has has green tape on it.

[​IMG]

The tricky part was, I had to cut above the new shields mounting holes to have a clean edge to drill new ones. Once I did that, It made the shield much narrower than the stocker. Damn.

Wait a minute, I was going to bin the thing anyway so let's just drill some holes and see how it works. Once mounted I started tasting lemonade from this lemon. I actually loved it. It was a bear to get everything to flex enough to get the bolts in but once it was on, it looked perfect. It ended up much less curved than stock and not as bulbous. I always thought the stocker was a little "thick" up there. It's minor but it does sit much closer to the guages now and takes off right from the upper arm of the fairing rather than going up first before starting to curve inward.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It brings the top down a little and more in line with the rest of the bike. It's subtle but if you've looked at this fairing for the past 27 years, you'd see the difference. I'm diggin' it.

[​IMG]

8. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: Man that is a sweet looking bike! I never get tired of looking at it.

9. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States

Mucho thanks bud.

10. Apittslife

Apittslife New Member

Map
    SWEEET!

Glad it worked out for you. :thumbsup:
    Would have sucked to have wasted money on a Non-fitting / unusable part! :mad:

11. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    Yeah Paul, I'm never one to toss $100 but it looked that bad. Thankfully It worked out. Sometimes you get lucky when you try to remedy a roadblock.

12. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Good work with that windscreen.

...and another pat on the back for all the quality work on that bike.

Kudos :thumbsup: I wish I had those kinds of skills.

13. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States

Thanks SB, I'm assuming life with the new 750 has been smooth sailing?

14. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    I decided to fix my floppy toolbox on the R. Over 27 years with hundreds of openings and closings, the rivots had gotten pretty loose. Once I had it apart and in my hand I realized it was pretty scratched up and faded as well. Since I had some extra Carbon Fiber cloth and resin kicking around, I figured what the hell. Being a box and an odd shaped one at that, I knew this wasn't going to be easy but I figured it was better than what's there now.

Before...
    [​IMG]

After... with new rivets and carbon applied with several coats of resin. It's rock solid now.
    [​IMG]

15. 85vf1000r

85vf1000r New Member

Very nice! It's the little things that really set one build apart from another and you, sir, are the master of the little things! Love it!

-Paul

16. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map

Can we get a new sound bite?????????

17. safetypro10

safetypro10 New Member

United States
    Map
    SO, on the new carbon covered box? Did you just cover the old box, or mold a new box.

Just asking, its not like I want to make a set of carbon bags to replace my BMW bags on my 3rd gen or nothing. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Larry
    VFRrider

18. crashburn

crashburn New Member

Map
    Just read through the entire thread, all I can say is wow.. a little bit of a bromance I'll admit :wink:

I still have the 1985 Honda Flyer with all the models, I've always had a soft spot for the 1000R, even when I had my 1000F.

Great job!

19. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    Thanks Paul.

Larry, I skinned the piece with the carbon cloth. Unlike the upper fairing surround I did, this piece should have been my first try at mold making. Probably wouldn't have been so bad. One of these days I'm going to make a mold, then I can make multiple pieces for anyone that needs one.
    Carbon side cases would look killer!

It's a long read isn't it? Thanks.

20. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    Amazing rebuild dude. I especially like the pipes - they have a unique look, but still appear totally professional. Hell of a project, quite enjoyable to read over!