V-tech- Over all positive or negative?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Molsan, Dec 10, 2007.

1. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Crazy just crazy, who'd guess this thread had this much interest. guess when a certain model is having a 7th year run what else is there to talk about? OK, I need to comment on what's this about an old Bike? LOL I still believe a many 6th gen owners, not that it's their fault mind you, but till you have rode a 3rd, 4th or 5th don't knock em. they are still ahead of the game. I've rode a 6th and it's not even in the same league, but that's not a knock nor put down from me. Honda just decided to go another direction and I simply don't care for em. Add in the bang for the buck if you like with what the prior generations have, then you really have a winner. That doesn't make a 6th gen a bad bike, just different.

2. CaptainBart

CaptainBart New Member

Ok, check this out! When the V-Tec opens up I alway feel like the afterburners on a F-14 are coming to life.........and that is the only reason i say that VTEC rocks my friends.

3. CaptainBart

CaptainBart New Member

This is Maverick, I'm going supersonic.......I can relate...

4. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

The best you know is the best you've ridden.....

5. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map

this is what everyone should go by

6. junktionfet

junktionfet New Member

What's VTEC? :D

On another note, [before my crash a couple weeks ago] I think the thermostat was beginning to stick open just a little on my VFR. On cool nights, the coolant temp would drop slowly but steadily if I was cruising. On one night in particular, I remember the coolant temp seemed to level off around 130F after cruising for 30 minutes in very cold air.

An unexpected side effect is that VTEC never engaged. The coolant temperature has to be at least 150F before the ECU will allow VTEC operation. I remember taking off spiritedly at a stop light to get around some people and I didn't feel the kick in power and noise when I expected it. It felt like the engine started to level off in power somewhere around 8000 RPM when in 2 valve mode. The powerband felt very smooth but not very exciting up there without the extra valves working.

7. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

A thread like the energizer bunny ... if someone else already said it, sorry, couldn't read all 10 pages :^). I'm very happy with my '07, VTEC & all. Put 2K miles on with a 900 mile round trip run in there so far & no complaints. Recently plugged the PAIR and flapper valves based on forum info about '07s and oxygen sensors, does seem to have smoothed out the whole shebang a bit. Will have to see if she keeps running fine w/o fueling changes after I get the K&N installed. Only making reversible mods as I haven't had her a year yet.

Point being, I like mine :^). Actually, I've enjoyed every bike I've owned.

8. Jimtt

Jimtt New Member

Map
    Well first of all My 1994 VFR will probably out live me and it will probably out live your 6th generation ( I am not saying I don’t like 6th generation VFRs because I do). I can over bore my engine in a rebuild and fit new pistons and rings and you cannot. I have gear driven cams (the single biggest issue I have with the 6th generation engine) and I can fix carburetors. There are many reasons to like older machines although a 1994 VFR isn’t that old. My 1970 CB 500 is still going strong so is my 1985 VF500. I just do not agree with your logic unless you are a person who pays to have their bike fixed / maintained in which case you should have a new bike. Technology marches on but there are elements of older Hondas that are better than new Hondas, people who know what I am talking about know what I mean.

9. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  10. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    I think it is better in the later bikes.

11. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Maybe I'll buy one some day.

12. cuttingedge

cuttingedge New Member

Here is my take:

I have tried many different bikes over the years.
    The first bike I purchased was an 08 VFR.
    My neighbor has a 98 VFR and we swap almost everytime we ride.
    There are no Major differences in the bikes, although he has a Corbin seat so obviously it is more comfortable to ride.
    The small things that I notice
    1. The fairings are a bit wider on a 5th Gen
    2. Throttle response is smooth on both bikes.
    3. The 5th Gen definately Sounds better with the Gear driven cams, not to mention Two Bros Slip-on
    4. So far very happy with my bike and like the Vtech

He has said that my bike feels more Sporty and is a little bit more nimble.
    I agree and think that although maybe a little more sporty that I like the relaxed position of the 5th Gen a little more, this may be because of the aftermarket seat so that is going to be a purchase very soon.
    That being said I will be in the market for a 5th Gen in the spring as an extra bike.:wink: There is a guy right down the street with a yellow 5th Gen that I am going to try and convince him to sell me.

13. HondaTech

HondaTech New Member

I didn't go back and read the all of the 10 preceding pages so if what I am adding here has been said already, sorry.

A couple of things- #1 VTEC has absolutely nothing to do with emissions, what it does is provide a broader powerband throughout the RPM range, by effectively having 2 camshafts based on RPM's. Basically at the lower RPM's the rocker arms follow a lobe on the cam for lower lift and longer duration- this produces better torque in the bottom of the engine's operating range due to increased cylinder charging, and when VTEC is engaged the VTEC solenoid uses oil pressure to lock the rocker arms to followers running on the high lift lobes of the cams to provide greater valve lift to help with cyclinder charging at high engine speeds.

So, given this is how the system works, I'm not sure how anyone can say it's harder to work on. Both VTEC and non-VTEC engines use a camshaft and rocker arms so it really isn't any different except for the VTEC solenoid. To say it's got more parts to break doesn't really hold water either given that the only things that could really happen to a VTEC engine that can't happen to a non-VTEC engine would be a VTEC solenoid failure (extremely rare, in cars anyway- I've never seen one go bad in 10 years) or oil passages getting clogged up preventing the locking pins from sliding, but that would be due to a lack of maintenance, not a fault of the VTEC system or it's design.

I wouldn't begin to say which gen VFR is the best as I have only ever ridden my 6th gen but the fact they have been around this long and people are so loyal really says it all- they all kick ass.

14. lang7008

lang7008 New Member

Map
    vtec

I have only ridden my 03' less than 500 miles. I am coming from and 01 cbr 929rr. So far I love the vtec and the looks of my gen 6. It is one of the sexiest rides i have ever had in my opinion.

VTEC ROCKS!!!!

15. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    More undead! Aghg ghgghghghgghgh.

16. someguy

someguy New Member

hmm...

i've owned a dozen bikes in my life, and some pretty special ones at that. i've ridden several generations of the VFR, not all....
    I love my G6.
    it's kind of like art and wine...

17. VFR-Viking

VFR-Viking New Member

Something of note to everyone...I hear that Honda has never had a VTEC failure on any VTEC motor, land or marine, EVER. I don't mean the engine, I mean ZERO failures of the actual VTEC system. That's impressive! Think about that. Anyway all the VTEC VFR hating is so uncessary. The VFR VTEC may lack the "VFRness" of earlier gens, but compared to all other motorcycles it is still 100% VFR. Also, OMG, the whole "I think the VTEC engagement sucks" thing is so so overplayed. I rode a GSX-R750 I4 race-rep for almost 5 years and have ridden a variety of other bikes (BMW, Kawi, twins, etc.) and now that I have the VFR and have ridden it for 4 days I can say that I absolutely don't regret a thing, and the VTEC does NOT affect the rideability of the bike at all. It's just nitpicking if you ask me. You can absolutely ride the piss out of one of these bikes. As for the valve-adjusting. Having to check and adjust the valvetrain every 16,000 miles is not the end of the world. You have to do that with plenty of engines, especially if you care how well they run. Eventually the tools will be available to the masses. As for ease of maintenance, I think Honda was spot on with this bike...the time consuming maintenance is the point! This bike I feel was totally aimed at the gentleman-gearhead...the guy who WANTS to spend 4 hours tinkering. It's the charm: ride it 1000 miles, then when your *ss hurts, work on it with a beer!!! What rocks is that Honda has created a gem of a motor that's a lot like a mini automobile engine. Yeah it doesn't have gear-driven cams, that sucks, but I also lament the fact that they don't sell two-stroke sportbikes anymore...things change.

18. Natas

Natas New Member

I wish my 07 had the whine that the older VFR's had.....that sound is awesome!! :thumbsup: On VTEC, I like it. The transition doesn't bother me at all.