Trying too find MPH overlay converter

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Rob13, Jul 3, 2022.

1. Rob13

Rob13 New Member

United Kingdom
    I saw this on a previous post from a while back & wondered if the person still has them? Photo of the overlay I would like. Thanks & appreciate any links & or leads. Cheers Honda-VFR750-RC36-speedo-overlay-80mm.jpg

2. weevee

weevee New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi Rob. Yes, that was one of mine. I was producing them, but stopped during lockdown. I may still have a couple, but don't know for sure. I'll have a look through my stash of remaining decals and see what I can find.

Steve

3. Rob13

Rob13 New Member

United Kingdom
    Hello Steve, I got so excited when I got your reply as I am quite stuck without an overlay & yours is the only one I want. Everything is crossed you have one for me. I live near Wisbech in Cambridgeshire. Tel 01945 701047. I used to have a VFR 750 (2nd Generation, the one in my avatar) & loved it so much I have just bought another not realising it had an overlay but a very confusing one hence the need for a smart one which is clear. At 71 & still full of energy it was a now or never move back to VFRs. Many thanks for reply Steve. All the best. Robert DSC_7338.JPG DSC_7338.JPG

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
    Thumbs likes this.
  4. weevee

weevee New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi Rob. Your bike looks to be a beauty!

Re. the speedometer overlay.. I've searched everywhere, and unfortunately I can't find one. I stopped producing them during lockdown when the ink-lines on my printer dried up & became blocked from disuse (..while at the same time my resin supplier went out of business!) I thought I may have had one I'd pre-made and stashed away in one of my 'spare decals' boxes, but you're out of luck; the only one I can find is in kph.

If you'd be happy with a self-adhesive vinyl item (..not resin domed) I may be able to produce something similar by layering vector-cut silver numerals over a matt-black background (..or indeed some other colour?) I'd certainly give it a go. Just let me know.

Cheers
    Steve

5. Rob13

Rob13 New Member

United Kingdom
    Hello Steve, happy for a compromise as you have described. Is it possible to have a white circular band background with red numerals & the VFR letters the same as the one in the photo? I think that looks so nice. I am a retired boatbuilder so all things wood is my thing & a total duffer with tech, the process you mentioned is pure wizardry! :) Many thanks Steve, let me know if my idea is not possible but certainly would like/need an MPH overly from you. All the best. :thumbs: Rob

6. weevee

weevee New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi Rob. Because the numerals are so small, the cutting blade will struggle to cut them from thick(ish) 'sticker type' vinyls. Even if I use very thin vehicle wrapping vinyl, I'm not convinced I'll succeed, because the blade needs 0.5mm (turning circle) even just to change direction! I'm happy to give it a go - but I only have metallic silver or gold wrapping vinyl to use at the moment I'm afraid.

I could certainly cut the background shape from white vinyl - but bear in mind metallic silver or gold numerals may then be difficult to see against it. (I do have a gloss red vinyl as a background option, if the black doesn't appeal to you?)

Steve

7. Rob13

Rob13 New Member

United Kingdom
    Hello Steve, Silver on black would seem a sensible approach if you can produce that? I can take a photo of the current scruffy overlay for you just out of curiosity. Thanks again. Rob

8. weevee

weevee New Member

United Kingdom
    Here's how the two options would look, Rob. However, I don't want to raise your hopes too high! Applying the silver graphics by hand, perfectly in the centre of the background vinyl (..even if I can cut them out successfully) won't be easy. I'll give it a go though. Just give me a few days, 'cause I've the cam-belts & fuel-pump to change on my bike so I won't be back at my computer before Friday.

Steve

[​IMG]

9. Rob13

Rob13 New Member

United Kingdom
    WOW! I want both because they both work beautifully! OK calm down Rob there are hurdles & no definates! Fully appreciate your situation Steve, first this is at your convenience time wise, you're doing me a huge favour & I know you are outside your (what was) routine production. So, BLACK would be my choice & if you can work your magic on that well I would be delighted. Quick shot of what is my current speedo situation. Thanks again Steve, good luck! Rob VFR SPEEDO 1.jpg

10. weevee

weevee New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi Rob. Sorry to be slow.

Just an update on this overlay.. As I expected, the numerals were a little too small to be cut cleanly from the silver vinyl (see pic). However, I finally managed to 'weed' out all of the unwanted pieces, and was left with something that could work (..if I could centre it correctly on the backing vinyl by eye).

Long story short.. the picture shows the best one I managed to produce, and I think it would do a half-decent job if you were stuck for an alternative. But the better news is: I was searching this morning for a decal that a chap had bought from me via eBay - and by sheer chance I unearthed one of the original white & red resin-domed items! It's a pity I didn't find it a few days ago; it would have saved all this messing about!!

So.. If you still want the original item @ £10.00 GBP (..plus £1.00 GBP postage) I'll throw in the black/silver one free as back-up. I can take paypal via this email address: steverc30@gmail.com. Be sure to add a note to your payment with your delivery address. I'm in the UK, so could post them tomorrow.

Cheers
    Steve

[​IMG]software screenshot

[​IMG]

11. Rob13

Rob13 New Member

United Kingdom
    Oh my, I know that feeling of time spent. Had many myself Steve. Always for friends I cant say no too! Spent three days fixing a door for a friend of a friend (single mum apparently) She bought an exterior door which simply needed hanging. Three hinges max I thought, ha ha! ended up re-building the whole door frame, I asked a fiver.
    Anyhoo, many thanks for going the extra mile for me & yes please to the overlays. I'll pop funds via paypal shortly. What part of the UK are you Steve? Will email you a photo when attached if you would like? Thanks again. Rob

Thumbs and weevee like this.
  12. weevee

weevee New Member

United Kingdom
    Thanks for the payment, Rob. It's more than I asked for - much appreciated. I'm in the scorching Costa Del (..for today, at least!) Tyne & Wear. Yes, post up a picture when it's fitted. Hopefully it will look less cluttered than the one you have on your speedometer at the moment.

I'll mail the decals tomorrow, for Wednesday delivery.

Cheers
    Steve

13. Rob13

Rob13 New Member

United Kingdom
    Thanks Steve, just a tickle extra, you deserve a pint for your efforts for me. Damn its been oppresive here in the flat Fens. Born & raised on the Devon coast, different kind of heat but here its a different story. Anyhoo, happy days. I'm tech hopeless so not sure if our communication is private or on the open forum ? no problem either way but I will certainly post speedo upgrade. Cheers Steve. Rob

14. Rob13

Rob13 New Member

United Kingdom
    Arrived & safely attached Steve. Very happy with the result, huge improvement. Many thanks & all the best my friend! Rob

Attached Files:

weevee, Thumbs and One Ida 31 like this.
  15. weevee

weevee New Member

United Kingdom
    Good to hear it got to you, Rob. Thanks for the feedback!

Steve

16. Rob13

Rob13 New Member

United Kingdom
    Your welcome Steve! Rob