Truck or ride? Missouri to Colorado

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by RRJV, Mar 30, 2016.

1. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Nope, that's the difference between "like" and "love". Cars are what you have to use, bikes are what you want to use.

Like the tired old cliche': "If you have to ask "Why?", you'll never understand."

2. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    This is true..... except for Kansas! lol

3. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    And as a few of us have stated, Kansas is an exception to pretty much every motorcycle cliche you want to throw out there.

I "have" to travel across KS to get to great riding country in CO, I don't "want" to ride my bike across a 400 mile parking lot filled with corn and a wicked cross wind. hence, haul by cage.

This falls into that iron butt nonsense. I don't give a fook if someone rides 1,000 miles in a day through crap country. I'm of the opinion motorcycling should be a fun experience. There's no reason to torture yourself with horrible riding conditions just cause. There's no prize for your "sacrifice". I hated riding across KS, by cage it's mildly annoying.

OP's buddy has the right idea.

4. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I've never seen any sense in the whole "Iron Butt" thing. I ride until I'm tired or ready to quit. I've traveled back and forth across Kansas too many times to count. But in all honesty I've never wished I was in a car/truck. I may have wished that I was at my stop for the day, but never have I ever wished I'd been in a car/truck. I've never hated that I've been on a bike, mad at the weather maybe, but dealing with the weather, good and bad, go hand-in-hand with motorcycling.

But that's just the way I am, or rather that is the way I used to be. Not everyone feels that way, and that's the way it goes. It's all good. :triumphant:

5. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I really want to attend Reggie's Roadhouse Roundup but there is a whole lot of nothin' between here and there and limited time to ride it in.

6. RRJV

RRJV New Member

United States
    Map
    The truck has a turbo'd 5.3 with a mild cam, so the the ride in the cage would still be enjoyable :) . It will save us a couple days of riding I think, so that lends more time to riding in the CO/UT/WY area. I also like the idea of having a way home if my viffer happens to tucker out randomly. We've still got plenty of time to come to a final decision. Thanks to everyone for the thoughts/comments!

7. jev.

jev. over there

United States
    Once upon a time I was one of those "ride everywhere because to do any different was being a wussy" guys. But as I get older and not as bendy as I used to be, I've come to realize that sometimes it's ok to trailer or haul the bike/bikes to the destination so I still feel good enough to ride and aren't all cricked up. I'm in fairly good shape, but can't ride all day without hating life at the end of the ride. So for me, most of the time I'd rather haul, then ride, but once in a while, I love a good meandering road trip and no time table. And I think therein lies the reasoning. If time isn't an issue, then by all means, I'd prefer to ride and take my time. But if time is limited, then haul away I will.

8. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    if that's the case then hauling by truck is definitely a no-brainer. Don't sacrifice any of your time for KS.

9. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Ride. Ride, ride, ride, ride.

Iron Butt? That is just a challenge. If you are not interested in meeting that particular challenge, so be it. Some people spend thousands for golf lessons to meet a challenge. Or gawd knows how much on firearms and ammunition to meet a challenge. Fill your boots. I hung up my gun in 2003 and have never looked back. There are not enough patient golf pros to improve my game so I just pootskies around on the more simple courses. I have done on Iron Butt Challenge and will likely try another. I still was to do the Canada to Mexico/24 hours. Why? Fookt if I know. Just wanna.

I am one of those who prefers to ride than to haul. I have back issues and believe it or not, I can get further with far less pain on the bike than in the truck or car. I don't know why that is but it is. If it gets to the point I "need" to trailer a bike because of comfort, the bike will be sold. Maybe I will get one of those make believe bikes> Can-am Spyder. Holly fuck. Now I am thinking like a real old buzzard.

10. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    While I have nothing to prove to anyone else, I really do want to do an Iron Butt challenge. I do part of it every time I head out on a long distance ride. I keeping a journal and I keep gas receipts to log mileage and times. I don't know why and I can't enplane it but I want do it. My biggest fear is hitting a deer in the hill country on my way back in the dark. My planed route would be to ride to Houston, over to San Antonio, and then back to Dallas by way of Austin. That would be a little over 1000 and I would stay in Texas.

11. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Ya ride if you can, I myself won't go over 100 miles-that's the limit of my aaa tow card:bandito:

12. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    100 miles? I live out in the big middle of flat boring nowhere. I put over 100 miles just getting somewhere nice to ride.

13. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    P1010273.jpg P1010288.jpg P1010261.jpg I have plenty of bumpy and curvy roads all over the place, within a 100 miles-also nice rides next to ocean. I go over a hundred miles but not much more. I think towing is $1.5 a mile over 100 miles. I am getting pr 4 installed next weds, and adding ebc extreme brake pads too,. next project is the tom tom gps so I can't get lost-Randy needs to come here and chase kids stealing the signs all the time and making basketball hoops out of the speeding signs. I also got two oil changes and filters.
    I have a new air filter installed-and paint my hard bags black-hate to cover over Honda red paint-but fuk:banana:

14. redwing750

redwing750 New Member

Just an FYI, standard AAA road service does NOT cover motorcycle towing, might want to check with your state's AAA before
    you have to find out the hard way.

15. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    You have a point there I will check, as far as I know they do.

16. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    I can help -and I'm sure you can do it yourself- with a route that you'll be very happy with, but if time constriction is an issue then that's another subject.

17. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

I plan to do that run in the future.
    As far as back issues, I experience the same. The ergs on the bike are better suited for me than sitting up in a car that long.

Also, Kansas is not the best but not the worst. I'm here. :)

If you love riding to ride, Kansas is just another obstacle. It's not that bad if winds are down and tornados leave you alone.

18. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    There is nothing quite like the feeling of riding across the great plains for hour upon end and then, in the middle of Colorado, you see one giant rock sticking out of the ground. From there, off in the distance, you see the outline of blue mountains. In the times I have done this I always imagine the settler's wagons rolling west and at that point were they thinking "Oh crap what now?"