Triple motorcycle fatality

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Richard Thompson, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Richard Thompson

Richard Thompson New Member

Map
    even though its christmas you still cant help but be jolted back to reality when stuff like this happens. we were out on our bikes yesterday having a great time and enjoying the summer weather and riding oppurtnities. we got home to this....(start at chapter 2 to pick up the bike story news feed.)

Latest News - TVNZ ondemand

and this from the written news

"
    Police have named a husband and wife and another man killed in a motorcycle crash east of Christchurch around 4.20pm yesterday.

Martyn Hartley, 48, Kaye Hartley, 35, and Nigel Hannington, 44, all from Christchurch, died after the accident on State Highway 75 between Tai Tapu, about 16km southwest of Christchurch, and Motukarara.

A motorcycle heading toward Christchurch appeared to have overtaken a number of vehicles on a sweeping bend, before colliding with one of three oncoming motorcycles, Acting Sergeant Chris Jones said.

Both motorcycles that collided were carrying pillion passengers.

Mr Hartley and Mr Hannington died at the scene. Mrs Hartley, a passenger, later died at Christchurch Public Hospital as a result of injuries.

Another female passenger remained in a critical condition, Mr Jones said."

we also had a second incident involving 2 bikes and a car the same day!

lets be careful out there folks...

2. Molsan

Molsan New Member

Map
    STAY IN YOUR LANE IF YOU CAN"T SEE!
    mind you i'm sure this is to the wrong people.

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    sheesh, and it ain't even spring time yet. Oh wait.......

4. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    How sad. Always does remind me of how precious that life is. My main objective for each ride that I partake on is to come back safe, in one piece.

Hey Richie Rich.....I know that you are a north islander, but didn't you live on the south island near Christchurch and just move up to Auckland recently?

5. steven113

steven113 New Member

We all know the danger. Weather it comes fome the cages or the squid that either rides over his or her capabilitys or has no regard for anyone elses safety. My regards to everyone involved in the accident except for the driver on the bike blindly passing other vehicles putting his rider and others in danger. Dont get me wrong, I wish that all people involved could have come out unscaved but it pisses me off to here of riders doing risky manuvers like this esspecialy with a passenger.

6. Richard Thompson

Map
    my wife has all her family in christchurch so we visit there fairly regular.
    I lived there for about 2 years myself, but the long term plan is to leave the big smoke and move back to the south island. its definately the best place for motorcycles.

7. speed

speed New Member

United States
    Map
    I could not say it better.

8. derstuka

Map
    Sooooo, me thinky you are saying...the south island is the less populated of the two? As far as scenery, is the south better as well?

It kills me how expensive tickets are.....like $2100-2400 US round trip. I could fly to China or Europe 2-3 times for that!

9. Richard Thompson

Map
    well, i like the SI because it has a lower population density and therefore ,generally speaking a lower traffic density. it also has mountains, which means well maintained, cool roads(literally) but you know, sorta swiss alps-ie with the bitchin scenery,short hops between towns, and an everchangin array of typography. definately the SI is where all the better scenery lives(IMO of course).

interesting that i saw an advertised airfare to LA for $NZ 1800 yesterday, which given our exchange rate against the USD means its cheaper forme to visit you than vice a versa!

Given the higher airfare cost, consider the following then:

at least when you get here you would have free accomodation and the use of a motorcycle for nix....cost savings!

US dollar buys more pacific peso's, almost 2 to one!(at the moment)

petrol is now much cheaper....leaves more money for beer.:drink:

you could always get a sail boat and navigate here by wind power....:fish2:

10. VifferDude

VifferDude New Member

Or mod the VFR into a jetski and ride down here!

11. derstuka

Map
    Thanks for the hospitality RT, I appreciate that very much so! :cheersaf:

My biggest obstacle is now just $$ and convincing the gf from going to europe! :smile:

Your comment above reminds me of a British tv show called "Top Gear" (love that show)....I catch it on the BBC most weeks. They had one episode where each of the hosts (Jeremy, James, and Richard) had to convert a car/truck into a boat. It was a hilarious episode to say the least. Try and catch it sometime if you have not.

Now there is another grrrrrrrrreat idea! It must be something in the water down there that gives you blokes such great ideas.....or maybe it is because your toilets flush "counter-clockwise"....:lol: