Touch up Paint for good old VFR RED.

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by vfracer, May 16, 2004.

1. wdgah

wdgah New Member

United States
    Map
    You didn't. Perhaps we weren't on the same page, that's all.

Yamaha looks nice. Hard to tell from pics, but looks good.

2. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Dug up this 12+-year-old thread because I'm looking for the best substitute for Honda's Italian Red on the fifth gen.

The original post mentions a Chrysler paint color that does not appear to be available any longer.

What are you using now? Help!

3. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
  4. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the link raYzerman. However, all I could find in vfr800 itialian Red was the super small paint chip touch up kit, no spray cans or aerosol cans. I have more than stone chips to cover.

5. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    I can only suggest do a Google search for your paint code, seems to me another UK supplier had spray cans. However, perhaps go to your local automotive paint supply and they can scan a panel, make you up a spray can to match.

6. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    The RS Motorbike Paint website over in the UK can supply spray cans of Italian Red base and top coat paint.

Likewise over in the USA try Colorrite.com website for suitable cans of base and top coat.

NB you will need to apply both to achieve a reasonable colour match.

VFRIRL likes this.
  7. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the suggestion skimad4x4.
    Has anyone used Colorrite?
    https://www.colorrite.com/product/honda-r157-italian-red-1093.cfm#null

8. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    I have seen mixed messages on motorbike forums related to pretty much ALL suppliers of "OEM equivalent" paints manufactured for vehicles dating from 90's and early 2000.

This is basically due to the switch over to water based paint. If your VFR came out the factory with solvent based paint then getting a decent colour match cannot be garanteed using equivalent water based paint. Many years back the wing on my Ford car was reversed into whilst in a car-park. Thankfully they owned up and I had a new wing fitted and repainted by a Ford dealership. In daylight it looked a great match but it was obviously wrong when lit by typical sodium street lighting - and sure enough the dealership explained the car had solvent paint but they were only allowed to use water based equivalent. :Frusty:

Before attacking any parts on your bike I suggest you consider painting a test panel, and see if you are happy with the result.

RS motorbike paint was a pretty good match on my 2006 - but by then Honda were only using water based paint so that outcome was not a surprise. Sadly I cannot find any definitive date for when Honda switched from solvent paint.

What you may not realise is that paint is considered hazardous material meaning many airlines won't carry it at all expect in dedicated freighter aircraft at significantly higher cost. I suspect shipping costs of a batch of made up paint cans to the States would be painfully expensive.

However I guess most larger towns/cities in the States will have at least one firm with a professional paint both and paint analyzer/colour matching system, who may be able to mix up something which is a decent colour match and probably provide a more cost effective solution.

SkiMad

9. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    I agree with your thoughs on shipping and on ordering factory code matched pant.

While I don't think that my bike has faded much from being exposed to the sun, it still may not match a correctly coded paint. So I am leaning toward having the local auto supply scan a panel into their computer and mix a match for me. That may be as close as I will be able to get to a matching color.

I really do not want to paint the whole bike a new color. I am thinking about two coates of clear on all the plastics and the tank including the factory stickers which are on top of the factory paint.

10. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Any insight to clear coating over the emblems (stickers)?

The local auto parts store was able to scan a side cowl for a color match, and in the conversation with the "paint expert" there, he thought that the clear coat might react with the emblems in a bad way.

What has been your experience?

11. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Mixed feelings.... when in doubt, don't. That is unless you know the decal material can stand it... ask the sticker maker. The only other thing you can do is get another sticker or two and do it on a test panel and see what happens.

12. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Stock '98 emblems