Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by 3dogs, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Jrocket

Jrocket New Member

United States
    Map
    Old thread but I'm a new member. I have to agree with everyone here. This is the going to be the best bang for the buck when it comes to improving your riding. Track days are great, but with the one on one instruction and the way it is taught everyone will walk away so much a better rider after attending one of these classes. I went to both modules last August and had Lee as instructor. Everyone that I talk to about riding who wants to learn more I recommend taking this class once they have had a few miles under their belt. Lee said he was putting together a new class for newer riders which I can only imagine is going to be just as good as the original.

Here is me on my EX-500 at said class. [​IMG]

2. Cyborg

Cyborg New Member

United States
    Were there any drops during the class? I would LOVE this class but don't wanna risk my yet-to-be-crashed VFR...

3. pvancle

pvancle New Member

No drops in my class. Wait until you see Lee ride around on student bikes. In my class, he dragged his knee with a fully dressed Harley, a Goldwing, and others--including my VFR. He just made it look too easy on the VFR.

4. cebuVFR

cebuVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Read his book and learned a lot from it. I'm planning to attend his session in socal.

5. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    If this is how you see professional training you should seriously consider selling your VFR and quit riding altogether.

BZ

6. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Rockin the 500! Cool brother.

BZ

7. Cyborg

Cyborg New Member

United States
    I was asking a legit question and you can go fuck yourself.

8. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    It’s not a legitimate question; it’s a moronic question.

Seriously, just sell your precious VFR and let some else ride it. Or maybe the better thing for you to do is sell the VFR and purchase a Harley. After all, nobody expects you to actually ride an HD often and when you do straight line riding is expected.

BZ

9. betarace

betarace New Member

nice! +1 on the harley idea... they only use back brakes. 1 less thing to worry about

10. Jrocket

Jrocket New Member

United States
    Map
    It was a legit question. No nobody dropped their bike the days I was there. However, Lee did show us pictures of someone who did (he often pulls out his camera and takes shots of you while you are doing drills to help you see your mistakes once you get back to class.

The picture he shows us was a student that would not lean into the turn but instead leaned out, ran out of ground room, caught their peg and down they went.

If you listen to the instructors and follow their instructions there is little risk of going down. They are not going to instruct you to do something bad or dangerous.

So lets just say you are struggling to follow directions for what ever mental block you have and lean into the turn, use correct body position, throttle control, brakes and you do go down. You are most likely falling in one of the safest environments. Speeds are kept slow, there is no traffic to run you over, blunt objects to hit, and you should be wearing full gear.

11. Cyborg

Cyborg New Member

United States
    You may not give a shit about your bike but I do give a damn about my VFR. I asked a legit question and will ask others as I see fit. If you cannot give a constructive answer, shut the hell up. As for the Harley crack, go fuck your mother.

12. Cyborg

Cyborg New Member

United States
    Guess what you can go do, Bunky?

13. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    damn you guys...i'm gonna have to go take this course now...

14. Cyborg

Cyborg New Member

United States
    Yep, me too but I may use a friend's stunt-ready VFR :stickhorse:

15. betarace

betarace New Member

Is this really necessary?

I see that either you or a mod deleted a post in this thread where you said:
    to me.

Now, I am all for healthy debate and even varying opinions. But the language is way over the top given the readership of this board and the spirit of this thread. Take your precious VFR, park it in your living room and just sit there and look at it, wax it and continue waxing your carrot while you are at it. If you think for one minute that riding on the road is safer than riding on the track or at a training class conducted in a parking lot, you are a tool.

Many of us bought our bikes to be ridden and enjoyed, not to sit around in fear of dropping them. Hey: your money, your bike, your risk profile. But the profanity and anger directed at folks here personally is unwelcome.

16. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    For schedules and locations of various riding schools at several levels, try "motorcycle riding school" as a search operator.

Now what I need to know is if BZ can really do what Cybog suggests and if so when can we see the vid?

The issue of going down on a VFR, IMO is sort of kinky.

17. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Talk about reinforcing betarace and I’s point Cyborg.

This is all you can come up with? This is the best you have?

You display the HD attitude with full love brother. The going rates on HD’s are great at the moment.

On a serious note. Betarace and I do care about our bikes. Probably in a sense more than you Cyborg.

Speaking for ourselves and our experience, the only way you will become a better rider is if you seek professional training. The unreasonable fear that you will drop your bike or any bike makes no logical sense if you ride at all, especially if you ride on the street. How many threads have come up on VFRW were a fellow member has been riding and they had an accident (often not their fault) and their VFR is destroyed? A good handful. Did these VFR owners value their bikes? Sure they did! Did they want to total their VFR? Heck no!

On the other side, how many threads have been started were a fellow VFRW member has dropped or crashed their VFR during a MSF Experienced rider course, during the Total Control Class or Keith Codes California Superbike School? As far as I know…none.

It my short time as an MSF Coach this is one of the most common statements made to me when I promote higher learning motorcycle training courses. Comments “Don’t a lot of people drop their bikes during the ERC? “I hear they teach you how to lay your bike down!” These are just a few of the moronic statements. Take it how you want, but you display the same thinking. That YOUR VFR is so precious that if you get a scratch on it, it is the end of the world or something.

Betarace and I have a point you cannot deny, if your VFR is THAT precious to you; why do you ride it at all? Why do you accept the risk of riding on the street, which statistically is far more dangerous than learning how to corner in a parking lot?

Contrary to what you may think, betarace and I have given you a serious response to your query. Problem is we challenged your preconceived notions and you went on the attack. Where we being smartass’s? Yes, somewhat. But what we would like to see is a picture of you on your silver 6th gen hanging off and getting the confidence to corner that machine.

That’s not an idea that’s hard for anybody to wrap their head around.

Peace,

BZ

18. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Hey BB, V4Bear has the video in question. PM him for a copy.

BZ

19. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
  20. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    It's kinda like saying, I don't want to practice with my gun because I heard someone shot themselves in the foot once. I'll just carry it around in a holster and hope I never have to use it for real.