Top 3 "must knows" for new vfr owner

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Tyler8pitch, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Rocketman3

Rocketman3 New Member

After researching all the slip on options I too have concluded the arrow is a good choice. My favorite, looks wise, is the akrapovic, but it is 1k. The arrow is a good compromise and I may like it better than dam. I need the removable baffle. I don't want to run it open. For me it will be the arrow or the dam. This motor doesn't sound that good that it needs to be loud. Sorry but I'm stuck on how good the aprilia tuono v4 sounds. No comparison. Right now I'm ok with the stock can with the flap open. Guhl flash is a must. It makes the the throttle control way better. You can use 1st and 2nd gear the way it was meant to be used. Flawless control.

2. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    No joke, there is probably a 10 lbs difference between stock and the DAM exhaust. As for the suspension, Jamie Daugherty is the man to talk to about that. Great prices and even better performance. He did my 6th gen and he will do my 7th gen once I save up the money again.

3. ozzybob

ozzybob New Member

Australia
    650 odd km on the way to Phillip island today.
    Saw 200 many times on the great roads of New South Wales and Victoria and a top of 220 Bike feels great but needs more rear rebound damping, I'll dial that in tomorrow morning.
    Good times.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Rider14

Rider14 New Member

United States
    Map
    For touring, the factory side cases are the way to go. Seamless installation and removal.

For the topcase, I recommend the SW Motech rack and a Givi plate. Solid as a rock.

Great suggestions above.

- Dan

5. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    The VFR is deceptive in it's speed. I got one thinking I'd ride slower on a sport touring bike, but the bike is so smooth that I often found myself going faster than I would have on a smaller, lighter, faster sportbike due to the vibration/comfort.

6. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    I would add a caveat to that Rider, from a strictly personal POV. I wish I would have gone with the Givi side cases for their ruggedness and greater storage. I don't know how, but my hinge broke on my left pannier and it was only used once. Never dropped nor kicked. I store them hanging from my garage rafters. The only thing I can think of is temperature change. And I would like them to be jjjjuuuuuussssst a smidge bigger. They are good for 3 or 4 days of stuff, that thats it.

Also, I had a bad experience with my SW Motech rack. To be more precise, it was the stupid camlocks. I even made a post here and over at VFRD about my experience:
    http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthre...lure-long-post?p=481592&highlight=#post481592

Long story short, great rack and setup, but swap out the camlocks for tradtional cap heads and use locktight! Ooh, same thing with the plate that the mounts to the rack. I lost one of those pretty bolts somewhere in TN. Locktite that shit!

7. MarkinReno

MarkinReno New Member

United States
    Map
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

8. Rider14

Rider14 New Member

United States
    Map
    As for size, agree they could be bigger, but with my giant Givi, I'm good. I only use the side cases when travelling/touring. As for the camlocks on the SW Motech - huh, I never had a problem on the last bike (Sprint ST, although I suspect the undertail exhaust melted the locks in a prior topcase... I actually added adhesive heat shielding), and so far so good on the VFR12 with the camlocks...but these are valid concerns!

9. ozzybob

ozzybob New Member

Australia
    Much fun had in the snowy mountains yesterday, this is the result
    [​IMG]

10. Rider14

Rider14 New Member

United States
    Map

Those white wheels look great... reminds me of the old CBR's, early 90's.

- Dan

11. nic579

nic579 New Member

VFR1200R seems to like triple digit speeds.

12. Nonecktribe

Nonecktribe New Member

Got a nail in my rear 1900 miles in and switched to the pilot road 4. Great tire in the rain

13. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    How very interesting !

14. ozzybob

ozzybob New Member

Australia
    Yes aren't tapatalk sigs just awesome.
    I subscribe to another forum and not disabling your signature will get your posts deleted.

15. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds like Com Cast owns it now---

That's how CC is acting now that they bought Universal Studios, any minor infraction with out any warning your heads on the block.
    #1 worst company to work for and known for pushing out Unions
    Good luck with us--- TEAMSTERS
    Back to our regular scheduled program

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  16. Alino

Alino New Member

Hi Tyler8pitch.
    I own your very same bike 7 years long now, 70k km and some. I love it. The best modifications I did, the ones I would do on a new bike again (wasn't my VFR1200F perfect and well kept as due) have been a better exhaust (I had a then already not street-legal chrome DAM, still love it). The bike looks much better with a shorter exhaust; some more HP and torque below and the sound.... Then after trying to work on the poor OEM suspensions I mounted a dedicated Ohlins set, mono + springs, oil and mechanics for the forks. It made the bike the blade it is supposed to be at any speed. Expensive but worth. After many km I had to regenerate the whole set last autumn back to perfection. A third mandative work has been remaking the crappy 2010 original seat, that after three years was teared, weared and -always- too slippery. A craftsman remade it perfectly for like 100 euros with a more rider friendly rawer surface. These three are the main modifications I felt to go for. I always use Dunlops Sportmax tyres. I did not put the guhl reflash, never felt the need.

17. Alino

Alino New Member

Hi Tyler8pitch.
    I own your very same bike 7 years long now, 70k km and some. I love it. The best modifications I did, the ones I would do again on a new again (wasn't my VFR1200F perfect and well kept as due) have been a better exhaust (I had a then already not street-legal chrome DAM, still love it). The bike looks much better with a shorter exhaust; some more HP and torque below and the sound.... Then after trying to work on the poor OEM suspensions I mounted a dedicated Ohlins set, mono + springs, oil and mechanics for the forks. It made the bike the blade it is supposed to be at any speed. Expensive but worth. After many km I had to regenerate the whole set last autumn back to perfection. A third mandative work has been remaking the crappy 2010 original seat, that after three years was teared, weared and -always- too slippery. A craftsman remade it perfectly for like 100 euros with a more rider friendly rawer surface. These three are the main modifications I felt to go for. I always use Dunlops Sportmax tyres. I did not put the guhl reflash, never felt the need.

18. sportcruiser

sportcruiser New Member

United States
    Map
    1) You'll need something to protect the tank if you want the paint to stay in good shape.
    2) The longer you have it the less you will want a different bike.
    3) If you like to ride long distances, you may wish it had cruise control (which it should).
    3.1). While the stock seat isn't great, I found Corbin much less desirable (I rode with it one long day and it now sits in my garage). As was mentioned above, a recover of the stock seat is the way to go.

19. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    After I read the title, then reading further I know it's 1200 related question, but can't help wonder what about the other VFRs ? It's a Great question, First 3 in no particular order for the masses gota be, RR, Suspension and then, tires?

20. ozzybob

ozzybob New Member

Australia
    Perhaps you should pose that question in the other generations threads.