To part, or not to part, that is the question?

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by HiFiGuy1, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States

2. Badbilly

United States
    We already have a cat herder, this being one of those all inclusive sites. ;)

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Sea-Tac vs. Portalnd. you sir have a brave soul, check your gun in before going through the traps. Portland is way more user friendly, Sea Tac? Not so much.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  4. 3dcycle

3dcycle New Member

United States
    Map

As far as I can tell it's the best offer so far, if I lived next door to him I would offer $2500 and be happy with that. As I am not and need to pay about $1000 to get it shipped. Or drive to NC to get in march I would be over paying to get the bike.

Telling the guy that his bike is worth $3k does not do him any good. Shut up and offer him some money,

5. Badbilly

United States
    Spending less time in Seattle of late and never flying out of Portland, the logistics of buying a VFR from somewhere halfway across an ocean and getting to SeaTac were roughly parallel. From my place in Seattle a $1.25 Metro bus ride downtown and a transfer to another route would drop me right on the SeaTac concourse.

Since you seem to want to have the floor metaphorically, it would seen since you are presenting yourself as the voice of experience why is flying out of Portland is more "user friendly" than SeaTac, or is this just another of your "I'm just kidding" gaffes?

Guns on a commercial carrier? I realize that you are attempting to be witty. My advice is not to quit that day job or cut down on the oxy. If you are still on those you may have a habit going.

6. Badbilly

United States

That may be the "best offer" either of us know aboot unless you are holding back some critical information that should be shared. I figure if you lived next door to him, and took some time developing a "good ol boy" approach instead of low balling the guy, you might get the bike for maybe a little under three grand.

What I can't figure oot is why you would wait until March to drive down from you place and not even offer to pop with some earnest money, say half of three grand. This I think might be a good start on the stuff the HiFi guy needs to start in on his race car.

I have the 3K but I really don't need the bike. I already have a 1991 and two other street bikes, and some parts for all of them. That being said, I would have made him a fair offer on some upper fork tubes but alas, too late and parting that bike out would be kind of sad and time consuming.

7. HiFiGuy1

HiFiGuy1 New Member

Ideally someone within 500-600 miles from my house would offer to buy for $2500-3000 and meet me on the road, but 3d, if you really do want the bike, we might be able to meet in the middle, literally and figuratively. I have a tendered offer to ship in a covered transport from my house to Montpelier for $1000. All I have to do is accept it. If you would like to do $3000 including shipping, I would at least consider it.

8. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    I've owned several 3rd Gens over the years and have always kept a close eye on their market values throughout the U.S.

Based on your description and mileage I think you are a little high on your price and believe your bike would typically bring somewhere between $1800 and $2500.

9. HiFiGuy1

HiFiGuy1 New Member

Deal. When should I bring it to you? :sneakiness: I will be in your area no later than March 18th, but can bring it earlier. Love coming to ATL. The AMC North Point 12 is the only Dolby Cinema theater anywhere near my house. Movies there are AWESOME!! Nothing like Dolby Vision picture and Dolby Atmos sound!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  10. HiFiGuy1

HiFiGuy1 New Member

Well, apparently @Rollin_Again isn't ready to get back into a 3rd gen, because I haven't heard from him. :crushed: In all seriousness, I am interested in moving this bike on to a new owner, so to any interested parties, do please make an offer. As I have mentioned before, I am willing to help in any way I can to get the bike to you, whether it's meeting part way, delivering, loading to ship, etc. Any REASONABLE offer will be considered.

11. HiFiGuy1

HiFiGuy1 New Member

Bump to the top. It's getting to be riding season, and if anyone has an offer, please let me know.

12. rjgti

rjgti New Member

I will offer 400 because I am a cheap bastard

13. HiFiGuy1

HiFiGuy1 New Member

rjgti,
    That's exactly the kind of offer that created this conundrum in the first place. I had a guy offer $500 locally. The problem is, I know that the nearly perfect tank alone is worth like $500-600. So then if no one will make a reasonable offer for the whole bike, which is literally a weekend's worth or work away from open road glory (and I realize you're being cheeky, and live in Canada), why should I not part it out? There are three specific pieces on here, if I sold only those, I could get $800-900. One of them would make the bike not run (tank) so that's a line, once I cross it, I can't really go back.

I am serious about selling it whole, because I want to believe the future owner will put it back together and ride it again. I feel like it deserves that. I have read here where some number of you seem to want to "save" these machines, too. Somebody, make me a reasonable offer, please. I am open to almost any reasonable one.

14. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    A tank isn't that expensive, look on ebay and see, the biggest/expensive part on the gen3 is the rear wheel. They go for over $400 sometimes. I got 2 of these bikes i would be in trouble with a 3rd on :pound: the way they hold up, i would have a lifetime supply of interceptors :loco: good luck what ever you end up doing

15. HiFiGuy1

HiFiGuy1 New Member

Fair enough, maybe not $500-600 on the tank. That's what the guy who offered me $500 for the bike told me. I have looked on eBay, and the ones I have seen for $250-300 look pretty second hand. Those are described as "only a few minor dents and scratches". Mine is literally near perfect, glossy, not like those. I am trying to not dive into hyperbole, and describe it accurately. You've hopefully seen the pics of my tank. I suspect if those guys' prices are fair, mine would be at least $400.

Funny thing is I forgot the wheel being valuable. That makes those four parts (rear wheel, tank, kickstand fairing, seat cowl), even adjusted down a bit, probably worth $1000+. :courage:

Thanks for the well-wishes! I do hope someone buys her and puts her back on the road, but practically, if I don't sell soon, I will probably be forced to part her out.

16. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Damn if it weren't for the shipping hassle, I could almost see me being after this. Best of, Crazy no one here has jumped on your reasonable offer. Hang in there, I still wouldn't part this out.

17. Hingley

Hingley New Member

Canada
    Man this is one of the few times it sucks to be so far away in Canada in addition to the exchange rate of 25% and duties
    I would give my eye teeth to have such a good example of a 1990 VFR750 near me for sale
    For god sakes someone step forward and give the man a fair offer before he has to part it out and I have to stand in line for some of the pieces

18. thurst

thurst New Member

Hi there I am interested in some parts of you choose to part her out. Incidentally, I think that is exactly what you should do if maximizing the cash is your main goal. A partially assembled, not running VFR 750 is not worth a whole bunch, but is worth much more as the sum of parts, especially if the parts are in excellent shape. A fully pristine bikein working order is in the 3-4 k range. A perspective buyer of your bike needs to factor in labour and costs for anything not right and would likely offer in the $1500-2000 range IMHO. The plastic, wheels, tank etc sold alone would fetch you near that.

Here is what I am potentially interested in if you have them and they are in good to excellent shape.

Front brake disks
    Rear seat cowl
    Right upper and lower fairing
    I might be interested in the engine if you get that far
    Right front brake and peg assembly
    Right inner fairing and dash covers
    Windshield if it is in good shape and note checked/scratched
    Full exhaust if its good (no dents or excessive rust)

I am restoring a 1990 VFR and these are the main parts I would be interested in.

Please let me know

19. HiFiGuy1

HiFiGuy1 New Member

thurst,
    My goals are two-fold, I would like to see her back on the road, and I'd like to make enough money to get my car finished. If I can't do the former, I will focus on only the latter. I realize that there is a need to factor re-assembly and the odd refreshed part, but the bike was running when we took it apart to rebuild the carbs, so I don't think it's the monumental task some might be imagining. I'd do it myself if I knew what the hell I was doing, but I don't. I had the previous owner, the guy who kept it in his living room, come over to help me disassemble it for the refresh, and I just never got around to finishing the rebuild.

If someone came to me with a serious $1500 offer, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

20. HiFiGuy1

HiFiGuy1 New Member

It occurred to me that maybe seeing the bike look "projecty" might be deterring some folks. Just for grins, I decided it might help to have a pic of the bike looking "whole", which took me all of two minutes. I just set the tank in place and clipped in the left side mid panel. This might help the less imaginative among us see what this bike is and can be. Now, someone please make me a fair offer and take it off my hands!

IMG_20170221_180856.jpg