I purchased my '98 VFR with 36k miles on the clock a little over three years ago. At the time of purchase I noted that the chain had a couple of links that would not flex, and the chain overall appeared to have not been cleaned and oiled well. The rear sprocket looked to have some life in it, and the front sprocket was, as we all know, imposible to see without removing it's cover. Adjusting the chain proved to be frustrating because if it was to specification at the tightest point it was extreamly loose elsewhere. Bottom line was that I planned to replace all three soon. It now has 41k miles on the clock and I could pull the chain away from the rear sprocket indicating a stretched chain and/or worn sprocket. A friend gave me a new unused RK 525GXW XW-Ring chain he had taken off a brand new Triumph when he converted it to 520 pitch. If I had been shopping for one, the chain of choice for me would be a 520 but I like free, so I'll make it work. The 525 front sprocket is not hard to find, and I ordered a 16 tooth front through Ebay. It took some searching to find a 525 rear sprocket because it is not an item that I could find available in North America. I ended up purchasing a stock size 43 tooth from an Ebay listing out of England. No problems with the order, it just took a bit more time to be shipped. With those three ingredients in hand I began to research chain breaker/ riviting tools, and this is what this forum is centered on. I am cheap to a fault, just ask my wife she will tell you! I didn't like the idea of spending upwards of 80 to 100 USD on a tool that I may only use a hand full of times. So, I was looking for a tool of $20 or less that could do the job. Amazon proved to be a good source of information by way of the customer reviews. The one thing that was common in the reviews, no matter the cost of the tool, was that they all can be broken. I'm confident that you really do get what you pay for, however, breaking and riviting a chain is not rocket science. So in the end, in large part because of my desire to spend the lease ammount possible, I used the 20% off coupon from Harbor Freight to purchase their chain breaker - https://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-chain-breaker-66488.html. The first thing that, after rubbing some grease into the threads, I did with the HF tool was to push some pins out of a 530 chain that I had from a chain that had been taken off my CBR 600 30 years ago. It was a bit rusty and stiff. I first ground the heads down flush with the link plate. Then pushed two pins out being careful to line up the push pin with the link pin in the chain. I think that most of the broken push pins are a result of extending the 1/8 inch diameter push pin for the initial breaking push. You only need to extend it slightly, then tighten the large guide bolt until it is flush against the side plate. The tool worked without any problem. I then stacked the two plates from the above test along with a third plate from the previously removed master link and drilled an 1/8 inch hole as close to center in them as possible. The reason for this is to fabricate a way of pushing a new master link together with the HF tool, which does not come with the adaptors to do so. By drilling the hole in the middle of the link plates I had a way to keep one or more of them centered on the cutting tool by extending the push pin out of the large guide bolt to hold it in place.