Think I needed a new front tire.

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Steelblitzkrieg, Aug 29, 2018.

1. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    The answer to that question is varied. There are a lot of factors to consider especially the climate you live in, if the bike is garage kept, are they exposed to road chemicals and so on. So there is no real easy answer to that. "Generally speaking" tires are good for about 5 years. Maybe a little more. By that time, the rubber starts to dry out and get harder. A careful check of the rubber will give tell tail signs of the age of the tire being a concern. The rubber gets hard and if left long enough, checked. Before I retired, I never worried about that becasue I was putting a new set on every year. Now, I need to watch. One tour, I left my rear far too long at the very end of a 5,000 mile tour. There was rubber t my last gas stop but it was smooth. I was out in the middle of no where and only about 50 miles from home. By time I was home, the rear was worn to the chords. Not good at all. Me very bad.

There is a series of numbers on the sidewall of the tire that tells you when it was manufactured. Google that. It is easy to find and easy to decipher. Knowing this puts you at an advantage of a tie shop trying to sell you tires that have been sitting on the shelf for years and years. If a tire shop tried to ell me a set of tires that is over three years from manufacturers date, I would be asking them....sorry, telling them, not on my bike. Get newer tires or I will be off to somewhere else.

It is buyer beware.

2. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    They will be fine.

Bubba Utah likes this.
  3. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Do not put those on your bike,....... Send them to me, and I will dispose of them for you.

skimad4x4 likes this.
  4. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    I'll keep them. I found out the front was made in May 2015 and the rear in March 2016 so I'm good. Sorry!;-) I got them on a site at a killer deal of $210 for the set. At that price I am more concerned they are "irregulars" but after inspecting them I do not see issues. That may have to wait once on the bike but the site has always been reliable RockymountainATV.com. ;-)

5. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Nice Try though!:pass:

RllwJoe likes this.
  6. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    I like my T30 EVO's very much. I've really no chicken strips left on the rear, and only a very small strip on both sides of the front. In fact, I may have a hard time removing the "curb Feelers" under the rear sets because they've been ground slightly a few times recently.