The VFR I want is in Southeastern MA, I'm in Virginia Beach, VA. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'USA - Northeast' started by Falco, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Falco

Falco New Member

Well a perfect scenario would involve an extremely trustworthy character that wants to do an Ironbutt or scenic tour on a lovely 5th gen volunteering to ride it down to me, but I don't see that happening. That said, does anyone own/operate a bike transport company in MA or can recommend a solution?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Due to time/work constraints, I can't do a fly and ride at this point. :frown:

Thank you!

2. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    Fly and drive.

Make sure it is road worthy first. Then run it home. Once home put new tires on new brake pads, change oil and filter, adjust chain and make it your own.

There are plenty of bike transports.. Google. There are some advertised in bike ads on eBay. It will probably cost about $700 to get it home. Make sure the shipper takes plenty of pics before losing with the date on the image. Taking picks once loaded on the truck are good too. In the event it shows up in an unexpected condition you have evidence of how it left the shipper. Use the pics to inspect.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  3. Falco

Falco New Member

Like I said, can't fly and ride right now. Agree that would be the most favorable approach if I could.

4. rc24rc51

rc24rc51 New Member

Map
    that's not a very long drive. got a pick -up or trailer? go get it and bring it back. 1 day. Otherwise get a quote from Allied motorcycle shipping, that's all they do. Your bike will be safe and I don't think it will cost $700. Don't trust any private shippers. Heard some very bad stories all just to save a buck.

5. Falco

Falco New Member

It's about a 10 hour drive each way.

I do have a pickup but it's a Tacoma Prerunner, sits high. Not sure how I'd load it up.

6. rc24rc51

rc24rc51 New Member

Map
    Do either you or the seller have any ramps? The seller can lend a hand and backing your truck up to any kind of embankment helps with the height. Harbor Freight has inexpensive folding 6' ATV ramps as well as wheel chocks. I have both and cart my bikes around alot. I'd go get if I were you. 10hrs is estimated at the speed limit I'd say. I've driven from Greenville, SC to Hartford, CT in 14-15 hrs one way. Had a buddy used to come down from Va Beach to Greenville in 8hrs. So what if you have to spend the night there. Do it!!

7. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    I got that. That is why I offered suggestions on transport. Make sure you get pics before shipment. Lots of them including pics on the truck with date. Use them to compare when or before you receive the shipment.

8. rc24rc51

rc24rc51 New Member

Map
    how about letting us know what happened.